Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

faceman wrote: »
    I've always felt the whole kitting out the settlements bit is doll house-esque. I just put defence turrets in mine and set up supply lines to stop the prompts about defending them. No disrespect to anyone who does put focus on their settlement. Different strokes etc. :)

Mine have at lest 150 defences on all settlements now but still those calls come up. Wish there was hack to 'be there' without "being there"

Anyone know if sadness bug in settlements has been fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Theres a sadness bug? That might explain why my Sanctuarys happiness seems to randomly plumett every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I had my first ever crash this evening. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I had my first ever crash this evening. Surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Which system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Which system?

PS4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Curious as to how the attacks on settlements will work in Survival mode? Since you can't fast travel anywhere, it would take a while to walk to say The Castle from Sanctuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Curious as to how the attacks on settlements will work in Survival mode? Since you can't fast travel anywhere, it would take a while to walk to say The Castle from Sanctuary.

I'd imagine that it would just add to the overall challenge but if the game expects you to walk half-way across Boston to defend a Settlement from a few rowdy Raiders then in my mind the settlement might be an acceptable loss.

I haven't tried Survival myself as I've been messing around with my current Save File and mods but it's something that's peaked my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I'd imagine that it would just add to the overall challenge but if the game expects you to walk half-way across Boston to defend a Settlement from a few rowdy Raiders then in my mind the settlement might be an acceptable loss.

That whole settlement attack thing was a bit wonky in implementation.

I mean, yeah sure. Raiders attack a small settlement with no defences - then fair enough, you're needed to help out.

Raiders or Mutants attack a settlement of 15 people with guards, automated turrets, flame and tesla traps, tripwires, etc... Nah. They should be able to defend themselves just fine without you.

What's the point of defenses otherwise?

I mean, yeah sure. Raiders attack a small settlement with no defences - then fair enough, you're needed to help out.

Raiders or Mutants attack a settlement of 15 people with guards, automated turrets, flame and tesla traps, tripwires, etc... Nah. They should be able to defend themselves just fine without you.

They should scale it to the defense level of the settlement. I would imagine 4 small time raiders would make short work of a settlement of 10 people with a pipe pistol between them whereas attacking a settlement that has a pet Deathclaw would be suicide.

I'd like if you could add an Officer to each settlement to help defend against an attack and ease off on the micro management of each settlement. I've never seen a General handle basic day-to-day grunt activities.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How does it work with the traps? Can your own settlers or provisioned set them off? I was going to set a flamethrower trap on the bridge into sanctuary but obviously don't want to kill any of my people.

• Advertisement

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    They should scale it to the defense level of the settlement. I would imagine 4 small time raiders would make short work of a settlement of 10 people with a pipe pistol between them whereas attacking a settlement that has a pet Deathclaw would be suicide.

My problem there is that even if you have the most rock solid defensive system - if you're still required to be there for it to be effective, then what's the point? All you're doing by building defenses is guaranteeing yourself a harder encounter.

I'd prefer if there was some intelligence to it. Smaller groups of raiders wouldn't attack well defended settlements. A larger group might, but the settlement should be able to handle it on their own if they're well supplied and have defensive structures.

For attacks on well built and supplied/armed settlements organised raider attacks would be needed - and in that case you might need to step in.

That would be fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Im getting the game on Sunday, any tips for starting off? No spoilers please :)

Rorok wrote: »

Don't venture too far south.

Jet + Psycho are one of the best ways to make some cash.

There's never just one Gunner.

Scavenge everything.

Screws, adhesive particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Scavenge everything.

Or...monotonously gathering everything is the worst, most time-consuming, and irritating part of this game.

Honestly, looking back, I wish I had just used console to give myself 10k of every resource and then just played the game without have to spend hours upon hours cleaning out junk from every item I came across.

At the very least do an unlimited carry weight hack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Scavenge everything.

People get over worried about adhesive but it's everywhere. Duct tape and wonderglue are in plentiful supply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

People get over worried about adhesive but it's everywhere. Duct tape and wonderglue are in plentiful supply

Early game I ran out of it a good bit but as the game went on it became a lot more plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I find I get screwed on ... screws mostly.

You can pick up some general stuff at The federal ration stockpile and you can use the cooking station for adhesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Rorok wrote: »

Focus on "Gun Nut" Rank 2 and 1 type of Weapon for you skills (Rifleman for example), be a master of 1 gun type BEFORE you consider being a master of many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

- Build water purifiers in Sanctuary. Once you have the resources/perks to build the industrial ones then build about 4 of those in the river. With an endless supply of purified water to sell you'll never run out of caps

- That dead ghoul you see on the ground might not be dead. Test this by hitting VATS. If VATS locks on then the ghoul is merely lying in wait, kill it while it's still on the ground to save yourself potentially taking damage

- If you're worried about finding adhesive then plant plenty of Corn and Tato to combine with purified water for making Vegetable Starch which gives 5 adhesive per unit

Aye, they are everywhere, but you also use adhesive in everything so you need a lot of it. I didn't realise until a good bit into the game so I hadn't built up a stockpile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Edwardririth

I've logged a couple hundred hours in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. After putting in around 20 hours into Fallout 4, my opinion can be summed up as follows: great game, terrible port, with a few misguided attempts at innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I was only talking about this in the witcher 3 thread. Fallout 4 is a good game but its just missing something for me. I don't enjoy playing it as much as I thought I would

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its because the writing is so weak I think, its an unfinished childs version of an apocalyptic wasteland, even compared to III and New Vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That and the underwhelming quests. I really hoped that this game would have more interesting New Vegas style quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

JustShon wrote: »
    I find I get screwed on ... screws mostly.

get the scrapper perk and clear out somwehre with plenty of raiders and pipe weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Just loaded up the personal Craftable Vertibirds mod and i'm lovin it.

Have my own private Vertibird where and when I want always on standby and a few in the air over the settlements that bug me about raiders.

tested with 'defend the castle' was able to put 5 in the air and just walk away, mission was completed within 5 mins on its own without my help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That and the underwhelming quests. I really hoped that this game would have more interesting New Vegas style quests.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

I just played the game there and I really like it. It's my first betheseda game and I'm finding it great, the pacing is great, dogmeat is very great, it looks cool (even if the graphics arent amazing) however I have found most of the characters are very annoying. I haven't gone to Diamond City yet, I'm just about to go to Sancutary with Preston

Advertisement