Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• In the middle of a survival play through on PC. You level up pretty quick, it's hard at first to get to grips with inventory management and getting used to how chems work with having to eat and drink, stimpacks making you thirsty and chems thirsty / hungry. I've found I never leave a settlement with less than 15 units of water.

Level 70 now and just heading towards the glowing sea. There's a bit of a gap between level 30 - 60 where enemies don't level with you so it get a little easy for a while, getting hard again now with higher level enemies, started coming across level 60+ enemies recently. The enemy respawns are a bit weird for me though, places I cleared at the start of the game (90 in game days ago or so) haven't repopulated so it can be a bit quiet walking from one place to another (for me anyway, I refuse to magic travel). Settlements become very useful too. Enjoying it though. I'd recommend the Survival Quick Save mod, dong loads of stuff and then dying without sleeping is a pain.

That's the thing though. Vanilla Fallout 4 would drive you mad especially if you die after a long slog and have to go all the way back. Could only see myself attempting it again with mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's the thing though. Vanilla Fallout 4 would drive you mad especially if you die after a long slog and have to go all the way back. Could only see myself attempting it again with mods.

It's happened to me, even with the mod, I've gotten used to not hammering F5 every few mins and the lack of autosave you just sometimes forget, then end up back standing beside your bloody bed in a settlement!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ordered a GTX 1070 and have had my eye on this game since release so plan on picking it up, having not read much into the game as i like to explore. But does the game have as much depth/exploration as fallout 3?

I keep hearing of settlements, people building them up which to me seems grindy and i may do it but not much, i prefer to be out there scavenging :)

So are building up settlements a must do, big part of the game? or can i ignore and just roam/quest like i did in Fallout 3? as in to the same grandness or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

nix wrote: »
    I keep hearing of settlements, people building them up which to me seems grindy and i may do it but not much, i prefer to be out there scavenging :)

Building the settlements isn't grindy. Once you have cleared a settlement, you can build it up or just leave it be.

The only "grindy" piece, is the missions where you have to clear a settelment, and they're not so much grindy, as just repetitive.

One of the main factions in the game are responsible for helping out settlements in trouble, so one of the main characters in the game is constantly telling you to help out settlements in trouble. He's become internet famous because people expected his character to be a big part of the game. So now every time this character talks to you, you don't know whether he's going to give you an important campaign mission - or if he's going to tell you to clear a settlement.

In my opinion, building the settlements is very enjoyable - I'm currently in work looking up settlement building videos :p

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Finally got the stupid Benevolent Leader trophy... Was up til 1:30 last night out of sheer stubbornness trying to finish it off.

Congrats on that it's one of the more frustrating ones.
    Building the settlements isn't grindy. Once you have cleared a settlement, you can build it up or just leave it be.

The only "grindy" piece, is the missions where you have to clear a settlement, and they're not so much grindy, as just repetitive.

I agree, it's only as much of a grinding task as you want it to be. Some things are almost essential like food, water but if you take any of the armour/weapon perks (to add mods/improve them), settlements can be very useful. You can set up a couple of scavenging stations in each settlement then link them via a Supply Line, it'll give you a nice boost of resources if playing as a Scavver isn't your thing.

• Advertisement

Vault Tec DLC (Spoilers Ahead)

Quest and Vault Workshop screenshots (Imgur Album) Contains Quest Spoilers

DLC questline starts when your Pip-Boy detects a distress signal from Vault 88. Inside you will find Vault Overseer, who will teach you the basics of building and managing your own Vault (The whole story is a bit more complicated, but not much).
    There is a HUGE network of caves, tunnels and so on. You can gradually dig up more and more space. The total size is similar to Blackreach in Skyrim.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ooooh that looks like fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is it just another builder than or is it actually decent story-chunk DLC?

I have to say, so far not splurging the 60e on the pass seems like smart business.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

So, a console version of Fallout Shelter? :pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Angron wrote: »
    So, a console version of Fallout Shelter? :pac:

I love Fallout Shelter! It's surprisingly addictive, and can safely be played in the company of my 4 year old without having to worry about traumatising him :D

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    I love Fallout Shelter! It's surprisingly addictive, and can safely be played in the company of my 4 year old without having to worry about traumatising him :D

I just didn't like the whole "real time" events. Fairly sure I sent out a settler last time I played so s/he has been out there for about 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I hadn't played the game since around a week after it was released but a few weeks ago I decided to give it another go and I'm loving it. I'm playing as a stealth type character and the little pistol 'The Deliverer' is an absolute monster.
    The game seemed very underwhelming when it was released but it really is a good game...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I just didn't like the whole "real time" events. Fairly sure I sent out a settler last time I played so s/he has been out there for about 7 months.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but they are dead by now.

Yeah the real time is annoying. I'm waiting on a Mr Handy loaded with caps for about 2 days now. After 7 months that settler is either through richest SOB in the commonwealth, or they're dead. Most likely dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah the real time is annoying. I'm waiting on a Mr Handy loaded with caps for about 2 days now. After 7 months that settler is either through richest SOB in the commonwealth, or they're dead. Most likely dead.

I gave up on Shelter long time ago. Another one where if you play for free you're limited. From memory you can resurrect someone who has died though.

faceman wrote: »
    I gave up on Shelter long time ago. Another one where if you play for free you're limited. From memory you can resurrect someone who has died though.

I haven't spent anything on it yet. I found the key to success is get as many settlers knocked up as possible, and just churn out loads of kids. Vault fills up quickly, you get caps every time someone levels up and when they get high enough level send them out scavenging for a bit.

Right well I turned on my tablet this morning to see how things were actually going.

Settler 1
    Settler 2
    Settler 3

First 2 last names are blotted out due to them containing my last name.

211 days is roughly about 6 and a half months and still alive and kicking.

Mother of God!! If you act quick, you could have them back in the vault in time for a very merry Christmas!!

Mother of God!! If you act quick, you could have them back in the vault in time for a very merry Christmas!!

They will be home in 105 days + 23 hours, which will be the 23rd of October, known in the Fallout Universe as "The Day the bombs fell" ...

Return Time

They will be home in 105 days + 23 hours, which will be the 23rd of October, known in the Fallout Universe as "The Day the bombs fell" ...

Return Time

just in case that is your surname the surname in htis pic is visible

• Advertisement

just in case that is your surname the surname in htis pic is visible

No that one is fine. Thank you though.

I just didn't want to screenshot the other 2 because FL Shelter was crashing like crazy, so I just took one that I wouldn't have to edit.

No that one is fine. Thank you though.

I just didn't want to screenshot the other 2 because FL Shelter was crashing like crazy, so I just took one that I wouldn't have to edit.

I figured it looked longer than what was blackened out in the other two. But just said I would mskre sure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Playing far harbour at the minute. It is pretty good I have to say. The memory levels were quite fun as well. I came across a relentless harbourman and he killed me so many times with his mini gun I just gave up trying to kill him. It was over at the far left side of the map in a marked location. The named him properly as he was relentless in killing me anyway.

Release date set for Vault-Tec DLC : 26th of July.

Here's a Dev "First-Look" walkthrough for the content.

(Just over 40 minutes)

I'm really excited about this!! Might make the Mechanist's Lair into some sort of vault.

Oh my god, so apparently if you're using mods, you no longer unlock achievements! F*ck you Bethesda!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Oh my god, so apparently if you're using mods, you no longer unlock achievements! F*ck you Bethesda!!!

I thought that was well known? :pac:

It's been like that since mod support. If you're on PC there is a mod to work around it.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I thought that was well known? :pac:

I haven't downloaded a mod in ages so a bit out of the loop. :(
    It's been like that since mod support. If you're on PC there is a mod to work around it.

Go on.....

I might look at downloading this!

• Advertisement

Go on.....

I might look at downloading this!

This is the one that I use and have used for last few weeks.

It requires Fallout 4 Script Extender to work. (Which you can grab from here)

Since it relies on F4SE to work if your version of F4SE is out of the date the mod will cease to operate and achievements will again be disabled.

If your game is marked with the [M] and you install this mod you may need to load in that game, save a new one, exit and then load again. Once you do that your save should be clear of the [M].

===============

This mod also offers to do the same thing without having to use the Script Extender, but I've no expierence in using this mod so I can't really say anything about it.

Advertisement