Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

@Rod Munch

Any luck with your issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    @Rod Munch

Any luck with your issue?

Nope.

I went as far as setting up a recruitment beacon to get new people to the settlement.

When I try and interact with anyone in the base all that happens is it enters the trade menu, there are no additional dialogue options, even when I click on one of the turrets and I say "hmmm, I need to assign someone to this"

I will go back to it tonight and give it one last crack but other than that I'm stumped. I'm just spending time free roaming and discovering outposts I may have missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Nope.

I went as far as setting up a recruitment beacon to get new people to the settlement.

When I try and interact with anyone in the base all that happens is it enters the trade menu, there are no additional dialogue options, even when I click on one of the turrets and I say "hmmm, I need to assign someone to this"

I will go back to it tonight and give it one last crack but other than that I'm stumped. I'm just spending time free roaming and discovering outposts I may have missed.

sorry if this has been suggested before... have you tired moving the turret? sometimes I found my settlers couldn't navigate to items I was trying to assign them to. Other than that, try scrapping and rebuilding? I know I was having fierce problems with the quest where I was building the transporter to get into the institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Was the restriction on the size/amount of building you could do in any area ever lifted or increased on the console version of this? Would be interested in going back to this, but would like to build a massive structure for the craic. Got so far at the castle last time around, but disappointingly couldn't build any more.

sorry if this has been suggested before... have you tired moving the turret? sometimes I found my settlers couldn't navigate to items I was trying to assign them to. Other than that, try scrapping and rebuilding? I know I was having fierce problems with the quest where I was building the transporter to get into the institute.

Hmmm, you may be onto something.

I've placed turrets at each corner, along the garrison wall, in the little divets for them, maybe its a case there are too many and its causing a glitch.

I wi try scrapping all of them and building one and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

I've placed turrets at each corner, along the garrison wall, in the little divets for them, maybe its a case there are too many and its causing a glitch.

sounds like then that it could be an issue that the settlers don't have a clear path to them. While it looks clear to you it isn't to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Is the radio on the air? not the recrutement but one the minutemen one?

Kinda sound like this bug here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136914237017/

Was the restriction on the size/amount of building you could do in any area ever lifted or increased on the console version of this? Would be interested in going back to this, but would like to build a massive structure for the craic. Got so far at the castle last time around, but disappointingly couldn't build any more.

The restriction is still in place as it is on PC but on the PC you can easily remove it with console commands. On consoles you can remove it but using a glitch.

One of the glitches it to remove a wire and place a structure, rinse and repeat. Then once you think you have enough of things placed, just move them into your desired placement.

Another one is to drop a load of items on the ground and then scrap/store (I can't remember which one it is) but when you are doing it you should see you current build status decreases giving you more space.

BE VERY CAREFUL as settlers might pick up any weapons and armour you drop, while it's funny to see a settler with a Fat Man it loses it's charm when they fire it within the settlement limits.

I'd say Youtube is your best bet for a visual guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Thanks Xtra Falcon, I'll give them a go!

god's toy wrote: »
    Is the radio on the air? not the recrutement but one the minutemen one?

Kinda sound like this bug here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136914237017/

That's exactly it, he is walking around and all he says is I need to get the Power back up and running

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Finished Nuka World so now I'm done with the game. I take great pleasure in knowing that one of the last images I remember from the game was the pop up message "Preston Garvey hates you"

Fcuk Preston Garvey,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Finished the Brotherhood storyline last night, first time I'd played through it. Spoilers here obviously, not going to bother using tags at this stage though.
    Wiped out the Railroad, that was strangely satisfying, given they'd likely be the faction I'd gravitate to most. I think it was the fact I'd done a load of their quests and they were quite trusting, etc. just to be betrayed. Tough break lads.

Managed to persuade Maxson to leave Danse alive, hearing Danse call him "Arthur" was a really nice little touch, pointing out how long Danse and Maxson knew each other and how much of a fanatic Maxson was given he was straight up for killing Danse. Rebuilding Prime was a nice touch, throwback to Fallout 3, as was the walk from Boston Airport to the CIT ruins defending him. I was ~level 60 or so at this point, the lack of coursers defending the Institute was a bit of an odd one. There were maybe two or three that I saw?

Anyways, I had the big tearful conversation with Father, then shot him in the face. I really never warmed to the whole "find your son" storyline, so I had no problems pulling the trigger. In fact I might have done it a few times, rather unnecessarily. I also had no problem leaving my "son" behind at the end of that mission too.

Promoted to Sentinel. I must go back to that d*ckhead in Cambridge Police Station who treated me like **** at the start, just to see what he says. I meant to do this and forgot.

Started Far Harbor then, quite the Point Lookout feel to it, but I enjoyed the start all the same. I found Acadia, and have a load of Synths asking me to help them out. I do have the option to tell the Brotherhood about it, which I presume means they'll come in and wipe them all out, meaning I don't really see much of the storyline. It doesn't seem to be a DLC made for people who roleplay to hate Synths, does it?

(Then again, I'm pretty hypocritical in that regard - I've maxed out Valentine, just because I like the character - and romanced Curie in her new body. So I can hardly really complain too much. I'll probably play through it with Nick, then leave him back in the Commonwealth and bring in the Brotherhood big guns to wipe them all out once I've gotten as much as I can from the DLC)

Still haven't done a Railroad or Institute playthrough, my previous Melee-Raider-esque playthrough didn't side with anyone really.

Is Nuka-World worth playing through - is it basically 'build-your-own-Raider-gang-and-destroy-the-Commonwealth' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Didn't realise PS4 mods were working, any suggestions?

I'm looking at a few from this list:
    http://www.idigitaltimes.com/fallout-4-ps4-mods-5-absolute-best-mods-try-sonys-console-570184

Is Nuka-World worth playing through - is it basically 'build-your-own-Raider-gang-and-destroy-the-Commonwealth' ?

Won't go into detail to avoid spoilers.

Kind-of, there's 3 gangs already in control of Nuka-World (a coalition would probably be the best way to put it). Each gang has a theme to them which is very noticeable with 2 of them.

You can ethier take control of them or you can be the "Good guy".

There's a lot of radiant missions and fetch quests to do for the Raider factions in response to Garvey's "Another settlement needs out help" craic.

I would have preferred it to be opened sooner due to the potential personality change it can bring about.
    Didn't realise PS4 mods were working, any suggestions?
    Elianora has some handy enough stuff available. Not sure if these will go over the limit though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

faceman wrote: »
    last images I remember from the game was the pop up message "Preston Garvey hates you"

Fcuk Preston Garvey,

That's Brilliant :D

He's one annoying Bastard :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    Won't go into detail to avoid spoilers.

Kind-of, there's 3 gangs already in control of Nuka-World (a coalition would probably be the best way to put it). Each gang has a theme to them which is very noticeable with 2 of them.

You can ethier take control of them or you can be the "Good guy".

There's a lot of radiant missions and fetch quests to do for the Raider factions in response to Garvey's "Another settlement needs out help" craic.

I would have preferred it to be opened sooner due to the potential personality change it can bring about.

Elianora has some handy enough stuff available. Not sure if these will go over the limit though.

Playing the good guy is a challenge. Probably the biggest challenge the game offers!

Playing the good guy is a challenge. Probably the biggest challenge the game offers!

Very true!

Blake Abernathy does slide in that nice line "Why work hard when you can just take what you want from others".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I killed all the gangs early on in Nuka World so I do not know what missions I missed out on. I leveled up a serious amont whan I was killin g them all. Never died once while killing them either which was quite the challenge in it's self. I hid at a corner and took them out one by one and used a hape of stimpacks.

I refused to be drawn into the politics of nuka world, walking the good (or bad) line was just too much like hard work for me... so I killed the leaders and freed those who didn't try to kill me. Job done.

Anyone using the steam beta patch? Is it really 50 odd GB or just a typo?
    Also.
    Is it worth it? better looking and playing or killing your PC?

surprised as its been out for a few days now and not one youtube or Boards/steam user giving the low down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Anyone using the steam beta patch? Is it really 50 odd GB or just a typo?
    Also.
    Is it worth it? better looking and playing or killing your PC?

surprised as its been out for a few days now and not one youtube or Boards/steam user giving the low down.

Beta patch is just the prelude to the high def patch, afaik the 50g HD one is next week

Beta patch is just the prelude to the high def patch, afaik the 50g HD one is next week

Ah that makes sense so, I picked it up wrong so. Thanks!

A short-ish story about changing video cards and FPS, (If like me, you are/were upgrading mainly for better FPS in fallout 4)

While most games run fine on my 1080P setup, I never needed to upgrade... but fallout, would just not play nice...

Up to last month I was rocking the AMD Radeon 280X (with 3rd gen i5/16GB DDR3 with SSD ) and playing Fallout 4 was 'OK' at best, provided you were out in the open wastelands, I had to turn most of the settings down and some completely off: E.G. An-isotropic filtering and Anti-aliasing as well as turning most of the other setting down a notch or two...
    The city's and built up areas would just kill the card/pc, even Concord would only give me 47 to 55 FPS at best and was mostly choppy (after I built a simple settlements in it)

Changed the GPU to an Nvidia 1060, thinking it would sort out my problem and leaving the setting 'as is', while it did help a little (adding 7- to 10 FPS or so in a few places) I was still somewhat disappointed as the new card was so much more 'powerful' on paper but the game would just not play ball with me, only getting 45- to 55 fps in downtown city's and settlements and would jump up and down for almost no reason.

A few days ago Windows 10 had a boot loop issue with no log-on screen showing up meaning the only way I could get into it was to reinstall (On top off the OS, not formatting it so all my stuff was still there) after it was done I ran fallout 4 just to make sure all was well and was STUNNED to see 60 FPS in Concord! Wait, WHAT? !
    Had to make sure, so I went to the most built up downtown places I could find and sure as grass is green it was still a solid 60 frigging fps! So I jumped into setting and turned everything up full beans to enjoy the extra eye candy goodness and still in almost all places now pushing 60 fps while dropping to 55/57 before jumping back up to 60! = Happy days :)

I can only think that there was something within Windows that was holding the game back or that the Nvidia GPU needed a full clean install in order to work at full belt.

Anyhoo I just wanted to put this here in case anyone upgrades and doesn't get the result they expected.

To be honest your could have got better FPS going to a better AMD card. A 280x is a poor card at best. You had a RX 480 a 290(x) and 390(x) and then the Fury cards to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 280X isn't that bad. Can run games like BF1 at 1080p medium settings pretty well. It would be similar to probably a GTX1050 which isn't a bad card. I would personally prefer the RX480 4GB/8GB as well to the GTX1060 3/6GB but it's not a bad choice either way if you prefer Nvidia or get a good deal, it's still a good card.

To be honest your could have got better FPS going to a better AMD card. A 280x is a poor card at best. You had a RX 480 a 290(x) and 390(x) and then the Fury cards to choose from.

Yep card is looking a little long in the tooth now but was still just fine for Fallout 4 when it came out in November 2015.

So it wasn't so much as a 'good deal' going to Nvidia 1060 (6GB) but meant I got to tie everything up with no fuss. I have 2 Nvidia Shields and the controller and compatible monitor already and also I wanted to be able to use the controller on Windows too. (I know Nvidia said they would open it up but was over a year now and nothing)

Two week after getting it the TI come out... oh well.

The 280X isn't that bad. Can run games like BF1 at 1080p medium settings pretty well. It would be similar to probably a GTX1050 which isn't a bad card. I would personally prefer the RX480 4GB/8GB as well to the GTX1060 3/6GB but it's not a bad choice either way if you prefer Nvidia or get a good deal, it's still a good card.

Yea see other response for why I moved back to Nvidia (after years away)
    I think the R9 280X was a damn fine card! It ran everything I gave it no problem but fallout 4, well it just just seamed to kill it more and more.
    I don't just jump on whats new and hot game (or card wise) and can play games to death before moving on ... See i'm still playing fallout 4 daily... Overwatch/Doom and will have gone out of fashion before I buy it lol! if they haven't already/

OK how about now? How about them 50 odd gigs of textures? Worth it?

OK how about now? How about them 50 odd gigs of textures? Worth it?

Over in another thread some people are saying it's not worth it.

I haven't tried myself due to one not having a GTX 1080 and then the real reason I have seriously slow internet and it would take me a few days and nights to download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

Advertisement