Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with either of ye and I'm delighted that the game isn't coming out on last gen.

However, playing devil's advocate, isn't this essentially the same as PC gamers giving out about games being held back by consoles in general?

Correct. Any game that comes out on current-gen consoles negatively affects the PC version whether that is in terms of functionality (controller scheme) or graphics. There seems to be a moderate resurgence among developers to go back to PC-only now and I do wonder as to the reasons for this decision. A part of me thinks that developing for two consoles which happen to be very different in terms of architecture is more arduous and costly than developing for a single platform: PC. Even though piracy is a problem on PC, perhaps the costs for development on the PC platform are not as great as a new cross-console product? Furthermore, the divide between the types of game is growing, imo. Massive selling games are costing more and more to make and many studios can not try new ideas or IPs on low budgets. This idea that a massive game needs a massive budget is quite prevalent at the moment. On PC, there is more room to manoeuvre as you can reach larger audiences with simple marketing techniques rather than spending 100 million on advertising.

To be fair, it is probably cheaper for developers to continue making games for the old systems - cheaper licensing, familiarity with the technology, etc., but I think we are getting close to that line in the sand. Once all the main developers decide to make that break from the old generation, there won't be any going back and making multi-generation games.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Consoles holding PC back ?

CDPR - Witcher 3 was made possible because of console sales

Q - Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

A - "If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world. "Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thought he meant multiplatform games take longer to initially release than say an XBox exclusive or whatever else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Consoles holding PC back ?

CDPR - Witcher 3 was made possible because of console sales

Q - Did the console versions restrict the PC version?

A - "If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is," answers Marcin Iwinski, definitively. "We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world. "Developing only for the PC: yes, probably we could get more [in terms of graphics] as there would be nothing else - they would be so focused, like if we would develop only on Xbox One or PlayStation 4. But then we cannot afford such a game."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

You have taken a specific interpretation of 'holding back'. Usually, generally, when the phrase 'holding back' is used with reference to games, it means technologically, graphically or functionally. It doesn't mean in terms of money or potential money. Of course developing a game on multi-platforms will yield a lot more money. Nobody is disputing that. What people are saying is that when you develop for the lowest common denominator, the superior technology will not be used to its maximum potential. Consoles are the lowest common denominator for multi-platform. Developers start with a console's limitations in mind and develop to ensure the software will run on such systems. Once that has been achieved, and time permitting, developers might then add on certain bells and whistles for technology that can handle them. However, as we have seen time and time again, that isn't always the case and a general port is the main path taken. See Dark Souls as an excellent example.

Edit: Also, what developer in their right mind is going to admit their game has been limited by a console production? Considering The Witcher franchise is a PC franchise (it started on PC) CDPR aren't going to come out and say to their main fans: "Sorry, lads. More money from the consoles, therefore your version will be stripped back."

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I hate seeing people in this thread trying to pick holes in what is really excellent news. Yeah maybe the graphics and engines are.... eh....

I really couldn't care less. This is Fallout 4. Even seeing the number 4 next to the word Fallout makes me giddy. Yes we appreciate that you're familiar with what game engines look like, and how to differentiate between one and another. You should be applauded for your anorakicity. But this is not the time.

It's like when Ireland equalised with Germany in the last minute and the country celebrated. Then back to the studio where Liam, John and Eamonn were all downbeat about how Ireland hadn't played well. They did their best to sour the experience of Ireland's great equaliser. I'm not going to let you graphics and engine heads spoil my excitement about Fallout 4 likely being released before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I think that the dad in the beginning is the future protagainist.
    I feel like i just found out something big, what is the significance of this family? The man at the end looks just like the dad in the beginning, so....
    2_zps9snun9fz.jpg
    Capture_zpscsm1us3k.jpg
    dsda_zps5pydquav.jpg
    This also explains why the dog goes into the house, and then to the man, he remembers his smell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CqVY5o6YRFKo.png

High res screenshots from bethsada

looks well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lockheed wrote: »
    I think that the dad in the beginning is the future protagainist.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. We see supermutants and deathclaws in the trailer so it obviously takes place decades after the bombs drop so how could that vault dweller with the dog possibly be the same guy? Also he is clearly killed by the blast before they make it into the vault.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Thargor wrote: »
    That makes no sense whatsoever. We see supermutants and deathclaws in the trailer so it obviously takes place decades after the bombs drop so how could that vault dweller with the dog possibly be the same guy? Also he is clearly killed by the blast before they make it into the vault.

Then explain what the point of that trailer is completely. What's the significance of that family? Why does the dog explore the house before running to the man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

There a bunch of knobs :mad: they were very hard too kill in NV .

The NV ones were like kittens compared to the deathclaws in the first two games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

One of the stories i've seen was that he makes it the vault and is cryogenically frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I agree that it isn't set as soon after the war as people think. However, we don't know whether or not the dad is killed by the blast, they could still be alive and just make it into the vault on time. The protaganist this time could be a descendant of the mother and father, maybe a great-great-great grandchild or something. Also, super mutants emerge quite soon after the vaults close, as we can see in the first Fallout game. The first super-mutant is created 26 years after the nuclear bombs fall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RichFTW wrote: »
    The NV ones were like kittens compared to the deathclaws in the first two games!

Well I haven't played the first two but they were bastards in 3 and nv

Lockheed wrote: »
    Then explain what the point of that trailer is completely. What's the significance of that family? Why does the dog explore the house before running to the man?
    Yes I will now explain the point of a trailer that nobody on the planet outside of Bethesda knows anything about. And yes, your explanation that the man we see caught in a nuclear explosion outside a vault is the exact same vault dweller we see decades later in the Brotherhood of Steel armour/Super Mutant/Deathclaw world, there can be no other explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

In case anyone doesn't know, Bethesda's E3 show will be streaming here and here at 2:30am Irish-time on Monday 15th of June. More psyched for this show than anything else at E3.

In case anyone doesn't know, Bethesda's E3 show will be streaming here and here at 2:30am Irish-time on Monday 15th of June. More psyched for this show than anything else at E3.

Gonna try and stay up for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Ya they're pretty bad in 3 and NV but way worse in the first two. They would get like 4-5 swipes at you each turn and each blow did huge amounts of damage. You had to aim for their eyes as well and hope for a critical hit or else you were toast.

I'd highly recommend playing the first two games, they are so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Just looked through my emails there, GameStop have sent out a newsletter with pre-orders for Fallout 4 with 2015 where release date should be. They know something we don't? Please god be true! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Gonna try and stay up for it :D

I just hope they'll dive straight into Fallout 4. Bethesda have a couple other games like Doom, Battlecry to show off and then a possible Dishonoured sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

RichFTW wrote: »

shots to the eyes were the only thing that worked for me back then, and they had to be crits to blind them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got serious Fallout on the brain now, nothing else will do.

Gonna give that new 'Dust' mod a go, I hear it's both brilliant and incredibly infrustrating.

Anyone looking for a story driven fix should check out 'Project Brazil' for New Vegas as well, very high quality single player mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There a bunch of knobs :mad: they were very hard too kill in NV .

A deathclaw saved my life in NV. Was attacked by 6-7 fiends. Not pretty......

Deathclaw appeared around a building, savaged the fiends and wandered off. I looted their bodies and crept away.

I hope they use ammo scarcity to force you to switch between weapons, mod/repair and scavenge a lot more this time around, New Vegas I was a killing machine without even trying fromtoo early in the game...

Can people please limit the PC vs console debate to .. Well.. Nowhere? It gets incredibly boring.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I remember the feeling of dread I got the first time I happened to wander into the deathclaw quarry in NV.

I kinda hope the varied ammo types (like hollow point, armour piercing, dragon breath etc.) are kept in, they were quite interesting. Even if, more often than not, I'd forget to change ammo types until I ran out of one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Hopefully Behemoths will be in this one. Some f**kers to kill but god it was entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Angron wrote: »
    I remember the feeling of dread I got the first time I happened to wander into the deathclaw quarry in NV.

I kinda hope the varied ammo types (like hollow point, armour piercing, dragon breath etc.) are kept in, they were quite interesting. Even if, more often than not, I'd forget to change ammo types until I ran out of one :pac:

Being able to modify the weapons was great. Like adding sound suppressors etc.

Angron wrote: »

Ya I like the varied ammo types too , that was cool.
    madcabbage wrote: »
    Hopefully Behemoths will be in this one. Some f**kers to kill but god it was entertaining.

Behemoths super mutants ?
    A deathclaw saved my life in NV. Was attacked by 6-7 fiends. Not pretty......

Deathclaw appeared around a building, savaged the fiends and wandered off. I looted their bodies and crept away.

I'll always remember in fo3 going down by the super duper mart ? near megaton and there was a deathclaw chasing a child,if that child hadn't been there it would have been me :pac: I thought that was so cool and random, when I restarted the game again it didn't happen again.

• Advertisement

• First time to complete New World Blues for New Vegas today (Just before the CL Final :P)
    Pissed me arse laughing..the better of the DLC's IMO
    LOL Penis toes and the Robot that loves Cups, funny piece at the end where he's in bed with all the coffee mugs
    :pac:

Now on to my Fallout 3 replay :D

Advertisement