Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Really hope this is out for Christmas this year. I usually take 2 weeks off for Christmas and just chill. Got Fallout 3 one Christmas a few years back and then New Vegas the following and they were the best breaks I had had ever and since then have always been hopin for a sequel to come out to play non stop for my Christmas break... Coupled with the new Xcom sequel announced I'm looking forward to this Christmas!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Xcom sequel? Boo yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Flex wrote: »
    Really hope this is out for Christmas this year. I usually take 2 weeks off for Christmas and just chill. Got Fallout 3 one Christmas a few years back and then New Vegas the following and they were the best breaks I had had ever and since then have always been hopin for a sequel to come out to play non stop for my Christmas break... Coupled with the new Xcom sequel announced I'm looking forward to this Christmas!!! :)

Snap! I spent Christmas 2011 playing New Vegas, Christmas 2012 playing Oblivion and Christmas 2013 playing Skyrim :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't play Fallout 3 until 2011, I had resisted for reasons unknown even though a friend had been regularly telling me how amazing it was. Had a full week off and nothing to do so I sank the entire 7 days into it. I didn't realise at first that you could fast travel and I didn't know what I was supposed to do, so I walked aimlessly around the map with just a pistol for hours, dying frequently, fighting flies, once encountering a super mutant and throwing my controller away in a rage thinking 'this game is just stupid'....yet strangely finding myself compelled to keep at it. First single player game I ever put over 100 hours into, never came even remotely close to such a figure before.

Amazing that 7 years later and a richer game world still doesn't exist (other than New Vegas) - I thought Skyrim was a great game but still not a patch on Fallout.

It would be incredible if you could play co-op ala Dead Island with friends occassionally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't think I'd like too see co op in fallout personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Started a new game of Fallout 3 at the weekend. Pretty much lost all my Sunday just ambling around the wasteland discovering random areas. I'd forgotten how much fun it was

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Played F3 not too long after it came out and it just didn't gel with me for some reason. Not sure why, the greyness of it all didn't appeal to me or whatever, I just wasn't feeling it and abandoned it.

Returned to it a few years later after liking New Vegas (though got bored by the end) and utterly loved it..

Was replaying it were I had just finished the alien spaceship DLC (not too far into the main story despite lots of hours put in and other DLC stories completed) but then GTA 5 came along so it's in the backlog though I'm gonna continue it at the end of the month when I'm back from holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Don't think I'd like too see co op in fallout personally.

Same as myself. Fallout is for me to play by myself and just explore the world. No need for coop. My nightmare would be they went the watchdogs route or something, people start invading your game! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Loaded up New Vegas again. I'd forgotten how much you could make a character your own.

One game I had a character who was based purely around speech and hand to hand combat. A charismatic pugilist who wandered the wastes righting wrongs. Got murdered by every deathclaw I met :-/

Gamestop had sent me an email regarding the prebooking of Fallout 4, which they say is available this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Same as myself. Fallout is for me to play by myself and just explore the world. No need for coop. My nightmare would be they went the watchdogs route or something, people start invading your game! :eek:

Hated that about watchdogs.

If they did go down the route of some form of online, it would hopefully be more like red dead redemption or GTA5 where they reuse the world but the main game is completely separated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

fixxxer wrote: »
    Loaded up New Vegas again. I'd forgotten how much you could make a character your own.

One game I had a character who was based purely around speech and hand to hand combat. A charismatic pugilist who wandered the wastes righting wrongs. Got murdered by every deathclaw I met :-/

That's my main build for Fallout! You need to git gud. I took out the deathclaw nest with my bare fists thanks to some divide and conquer strategies. Just get that paralyzing palm and other unarmed perks and no matter how big or tough they will drop like they got hit by a taser when you get them directional strong attacks and V.A.T.S stuns. Then you're free to scuttle up to their big ugly faces and throw a few 100 punches. With the right gauntlets you can punch their heads into tiny bits.

The only way I play.

Assuming F4 is any good (I have my doubts already) then I hope they don't gimp Unarmed like the did with hand-to-hand in Skyrim. Funnest way to play, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Assuming F4 is any good (I have my doubts already) then I hope they don't gimp Unarmed like the did with hand-to-hand in Skyrim. Funnest way to play, honestly.

Unarmed in skyrim was really storng too....it was just gear dependant. There were a few pieces around the world and if you found them all, you were unstoppable.

Kirby wrote: »
    Unarmed in skyrim was really storng too....it was just gear dependant. There were a few pieces around the world and if you found them all, you were unstoppable.

It wasn't viable for later game. I installed mods to help with that, though.

But utimately it was much better to just use a weapon. I found myself switching between huge daedric great axe with side-sweeping attacks that hit multiple targets and then a daedric dagger for stealth with soul-capture and a defiled Azura's artifact to trap humans souls. I'd basically capture their souls with the dagger then replenish the dagger's soul-capturing magic ability right away with the very soul that weakened it. Was a nice setup for endlessly devouring souls of the living. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

All of my Fallout characters were based around firearms in some way: from run 'n' gun to the somewhat stealthy sniper.

If I went the hand to hand or melee weapons route, I don't think I would have lasted very long at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

All of my Fallout characters were based around firearms in some way: from run 'n' gun to the somewhat stealthy sniper.

If I went the hand to hand or melee weapons route, I don't think I would have lasted very long at all.
    I remember once doing a melee oriented character in 3. I think my main tactic was finding/making a shishkebab as fast as possible, then setting the world on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

AM Rifle for the long-rangers, or shotgun for when they get close to you. A machete to the head on the odd occasion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That's my main build for Fallout! You need to git gud. I took out the deathclaw nest with my bare fists thanks to some divide and conquer strategies. Just get that paralyzing palm and other unarmed perks and no matter how big or tough they will drop like they got hit by a taser when you get them directional strong attacks and V.A.T.S stuns. Then you're free to scuttle up to their big ugly faces and throw a few 100 punches. With the right gauntlets you can punch their heads into tiny bits.

The only way I play.

Doubts? Already? What are they? You may have heard something I missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

AM Rifle for the long-rangers, or shotgun for when they get close to you. A machete to the head on the odd occasion!

IIRC New Vegas had an awesome sawn off shotgun. Fired off both barrels with one trigger pull. Brutal for when the fiends got up close! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sniping was superfun in Fallout, loved the little thrill you used to get when you found a new rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Angron wrote: »
    I remember once doing a melee oriented character in 3. I think my main tactic was finding/making a shishkebab as fast as possible, then setting the world on fire.
    I don't want to do that tbh.

:pac:

Doubts? Already? What are they?

Of Bethesda's ability to make a polished game. They've released nothing but garbage since Skyrim and F3 imo and even they are only fun to me because of the exploration and ability for the user to make their own fun (lord knows their campaigns suck). Their actual combat is monotonous when compared to other first person shooter/melee games like Chivalry, Dark Messiah, FEAR. There's also a lot of technical issues with their games and their obsession with using janky game engines or designing things based on console limitations doesn't help. I know it was Obsidian but the clearest example is the Strip in new vegas separated into 3 sections and overall not very dazzeing... all for PS3/360 because that's all they could load in at one time. One wonders what limiations this generation will bring especially considering the woeful performance some games have had and no fault of the systems themselves (as PS4/XBO are decently powerful for this kind of game).

Mods certainly helped, though.

You may have heard something I missed

Maybe you did miss the F4 reveal which showed us reused assets in almost every shot and what looks to be the same engine that's been a problem for a lot of things. Also dogs... because we know how well Bethesda can do companions now, don't we? Surely that won't need a dozen mods to make it tolerable.

Maybe it'll have no performance issues, a great companion system and fresh new gameplay and much more in-depth shooting and melee mechanics all compiled in a better engine. I hope so but I can have doubts and I think they're justified.

BTW I haven't played Wolfenstein but that looks like an actual good game they've published so there is hope. I haven't been interested in linear shooters in a long time, though.

edit:

You have to play it much more careful early on but I think it actually pays off late-game with all the unarmed and melee perks, to be honest. Especially unarmed... even if you break all your equipment and are completely naked you can still stun a deathclaw in VATS and never forget all the times when people tell you to drop your weapons to advance civilised dialogue. I took out a room full of brotherhood of steel guys who were armed to the teeth with my bare fists. Not even a glove enhancement or anything. It's that stun and VATS. You can punch the weapon out of someone's hands and pick it up, too. Get a few rounds off, drop it back on the floor and continue swinging away. You throw a real wrench into the combat system late-game with this playstyle. But as I said... takes a good amount of time and tactfulness. I usually pair it with repair and charisma/speech/barter to repair weapons, sell them back at high prices and talk/buy my way out of dangerous situations that I'm not ready for yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Doubts? Already? What are they? You may have heard something I missed.

If Robert_Ninja isn't moaning about something be afraid, be very afraid because that will signal the oncoming apocalypse.

Nothing but garbage since Fallout 3 and Skyrim? Notwithstanding they haven't developed anything since then, just published, but they have published Dishonored, Wolfenstein: New World Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

Three great games, and the only other things they've published since Skyrim are The Evil Within, Doom BFG, and Eldar Scrolls online. None of which could be called 'absolute crap'? :confused:

The only game I think think of that they published in the last five years that was crap was Brink (that pre-dates Skyrim) but that's about 5 years ago now. Other than that I think their track record is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

matrim wrote: »
    Hated that about watchdogs.

If they did go down the route of some form of online, it would hopefully be more like red dead redemption or GTA5 where they reuse the world but the main game is completely separated

Any word on Red Dead?

Four of my favourite games have been mentioned in this thread now in Fallout, Oblivion, X-Com and Red Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Nothing but garbage since Fallout 3 and Skyrim? Notwithstanding they haven't developed anything since then, just published, but they have published Dishonored, Wolfenstein: New World Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

Three great games, and the only other things they've published since Skyrim are The Evil Within, Doom BFG, and Eldar Scrolls online. None of which could be called 'absolute crap'? :confused:

The only game I think think of that they published in the last five years that was crap was Brink (that pre-dates Skyrim) but that's about 5 years ago now. Other than that I think their track record is good.
    Ah now, ESO is a pile of absolute garbage. But they didn't make it so we can let them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

So, slightly off topic, what genius can help me with this New Vegas issue: :P

I have an AMD crossfire card (7990). I am forcing it to use the Skyrim crossfire profile when running New Vegas (provides great scaling/performance).
    The problem is that if I turn on an ENB the screen starts to flicker like mad.

At them moment I have to either disable my second card or use a different crossfire profile which doesn't provide anywhere near the fps.

Any ideas? Or similar experiences? I have tried a lot.

Just out of curiosity, would New Vegas not run effortlessly on a single 7970 even with ENB?

I starting playing New Vegas: Dust earlier today. It is ridiculously difficult. Pretty much The Road: The Video Game. Everywhere you turn is just peril, death, traps, ambushes, cannibals...and there's so little ammo, so little food and water, so little of anything...except death. You die a lot.

It is good though, far more apocalyptic, dreary and depressing than New Vegas or Fallout 3 are. Literally all you have to do is try and not die. Apparently you can complete the game but considering I died about 5 times in 15 minutes, I can't afford to think about that right now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-makes-fallout-new-vegas-a-survival-simulator/

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Just out of curiosity, would New Vegas not run effortlessly on a single 7970 even with ENB?

I starting playing New Vegas: Dust earlier today. It is ridiculously difficult. Pretty much The Road: The Video Game. Everywhere you turn is just peril, death, traps, ambushes, cannibals...and there's so little ammo, so little food and water, so little of anything...except death. You die a lot.

It is good though, far more apocalyptic, dreary and depressing than New Vegas or Fallout 3 are. Literally all you have to do is try and not die. Apparently you can complete the game but considering I died about 5 times in 15 minutes, I can't afford to think about that right now.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-makes-fallout-new-vegas-a-survival-simulator/

Depending on the ENB I'm seeing 40-60fps, doesn't feel smooth at all though. I have large texture packs and the like, I could just scale it back but if I could only get crossfire working right I would have no issues :P

That mod sounds awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

About what guns people used in Fallout 3. I used that gun that fired tin cans and other debris right the way through to near the end where I decided to use a normal gun. I used to shoot all the tin cans etc.. and pick them back up and shoot again, great way to save having to find or purchase ammo, especially in the beginning.

Advertisement