Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I guess you missed the whole paid mods on steam thing, huh. Anyway, they might make it free but only for PS+ and XBL subscribers. Only way I can see SONY and MC even considering it. Calling it.

To be fair from what we've seen so far, they could announce that Fallout 4 was free-to-play, no micro-transactions, with a cash stipend for how well you play and you would still find issues.

Go with the flow. You might be pleasantly surprised even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I guess you missed the whole paid mods on steam thing, huh.
    That idea was canned 4 days after launch because it was ridiculous. Bethesda said at the time: "Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear — this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you." Stop being so god damn cynical of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

To be fair from what we've seen so far, they could announce that Fallout 4 was free-to-play, no micro-transactions, with a cash stipend for how well you play and you would still find issues.

And I'm the one trolling?

Anyway I'm not worried about mods that much. They're going to be free to PC users even if they try to monetize it because the community showed that very clearly with the steam thing as the Pedro mentioned. They'd operate outside the 'store' or whatever it is. Ah well, all speculation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Stop being so god damn cynical of everything.
    NEVER stop being cynical about this industry, it shows its true colours all the time. The people in charge of these billion dollar publicly listed corporations do not care about games or gamers (nor should they tbh, they employ people to manage that for them).

The console companies have a frak ton of money and a major vested interested it maximising revenues at the continued expense of the pc market. Microsoft, it seems, has remembered just how much money us pc eejits are prepared to spend on our hobby :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pretty sure they have specifically mentioned Xbox mods being free, presumably in light of the Steam debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

^Yup, they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How would that mod porting work. Presumably they will need someone to make the PC mods useable on a XB and PS4, will the wider community do that or Bethesda themselves? I thought the consoles were quite difficult to develop for, so would it also be difficult for joe pleb to develop a mod for the console games? I know nothing about this by the way so sorry if they are stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How would that mod porting work. Presumably they will need someone to make the PC mods useable on a XB and PS4, will the wider community do that or Bethesda themselves? I thought the consoles were quite difficult to develop for, so would it also be difficult for joe pleb to develop a mod for the console games? I know nothing about this by the way so sorry if they are stupid questions.

My understanding is that the current consoles are easier to develop for because they use the same architecture as PCs. If Bethesda have a good API for modders it could eliminate most of the platform differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Irishredawg

Anyone know where we can order the collector's edition? Its not on amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ozymandiusm8

I'm sad to see they're still using Gamebryo as a basis for their engine, that's what held back Fallout 3 and NV the most. They're enjoyable games but they're pretty awful in a lot of regards, mainly due to the engine (and some incompetence from Bethesda's part in terms of writing), I'm interested to see where the strengths and weaknesses will lie in the updated version.

• Advertisement

No, VATS is back because it's an integral part of the Fallout series. We don't want another generic shooter.

I'd prefer if they went entirely turn-based. I really, really don't care for single player shooters any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I wasnt that impressed by the trailer but now I cant wait for the game. I like how VATs just slows down time rather than pausing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Game.co.uk have Fallout 4 PipBoy edition for £120, £20 deposit now but you also get a vaultboy figurine and a vault 101 t shirt for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I must be the only person who doesn't like the whole pausing during combat thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The figurine and t-shirt are part fof a 'Vault Club' membership thing, which you can remove from your basket and get the Pipboy edition for £99

Tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I'm surprised Gamestop haven't announced if they're getting the Pipboy edition yet.
    I must be the only person who doesn't like the whole pausing during combat thing

It doesn't pause anymore, just slows down time.

Regardles, you don't have to use VATS if you don't want to.
    maximoose wrote: »
    The figurine and t-shirt are part fof a 'Vault Club' membership thing, which you can remove from your basket and get the Pipboy edition for £99

Tempting...

I don't think you actually pay for the Vault Club. I'm looking at the checkout for pre-ordering now and the total price is £102.94 with a "promotional discount" of £-20 applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Christ you are right - I only went as far as the basket, but at checkout I can see the discount

Even more tempting so!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Game are the only one in UK to get the pip boy according to Eurogamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So you have to pay full amount now is it?

At least with Amazon you don't pay until they're sending it.

Does look like great bargain tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭darlenmol

No, VATS is back because it's an integral part of the Fallout series. We don't want another generic shooter.

If you get the mysterious stranger or miss fortune perks VATS can be very fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I never used vats because my aim is poor and I'm sure alot of other people never did , I used it because it fun to watch mutants explode in different ways everytime , FO3 and new vegas would have been very boring without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

"Yes, we're also working on Fallout Shelter for Android. Hopefully out in a few months."
    https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/610850052454551552

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I'm in the unusual position whereby I've ever played a fallout game before. (Madness, I know!)

I heard the rumors about F4 so I went out and got F3 on pc last week. Holy crap it's good! I find myself at work thinking about the story and what area I want to explore next. I'm planning what's the quickest way to leave work, get home, make really quick food so that I can get straight back into it for the evening.
    I haven't felt like this since Sim City on the SNES when I was in primary school!

Part of me is dying to watch the F4 trailer, but i'm worried about spoilers.
    I knew practically nothing about the fallout series and now I completely understand why so many people love it.

What say you? Should I take a peek at the e3 gameplay footage? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"Yes, we're also working on Fallout Shelter for Android. Hopefully out in a few months."
    https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/610850052454551552

When announced they said they made it with apple so not surprised we won't see it on android for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm in the unusual position whereby I've ever played a fallout game before. (Madness, I know!)

I heard the rumors about F4 so I went out and got F3 on pc last week. Holy crap it's good! I find myself at work thinking about the story and what area I want to explore next. I'm planning what's the quickest way to leave work, get home, make really quick food so that I can get straight back into it for the evening.
    I haven't felt like this since Sim City on the SNES when I was in primary school!

I knew practically nothing about the fallout series and now I completely understand why so many people love it.

The games aren't really related so there's no real spoilers for FO3 in FO4 if that's what you mean? Get New Vegas next, that'll keep you going till November.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No spoilers in it, go right ahead and watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I never used vats because my aim is poor and I'm sure alot of other people never did , I used it because it fun to watch mutants explode in different ways everytime , FO3 and new vegas would have been very boring without it.

They explode and die in many ways regardless of V.A.T.S. use. V.A.T.S changes little in terms of physics.
    I wasnt that impressed by the trailer but now I cant wait for the game. I like how VATs just slows down time rather than pausing.

Indeed. Slowing the game rather than pausing it seems a lot better. I'd hope that it slows less on harder difficulties and that there are perks or stats that effect it.

You know, I honestly think that on HARDCORE mode, the one where you need to eat, drink and sleep... V.A.T.S should be disabled. Some have mentioned to just not use it if you don't like it... but it's a get-out-jail free card and you can't NOT use it if you know it's going to save your life. I can casually walk into a room with Brotherhood of Steel members all pointing mini guns at me... but with V.A.T.S I don't need to worry about switching between targets quickly or taking cover I can just select to shoot all their guns out of their hands. It's quite abusable.

If it was gone on HARDCORE setting I think it'd give another level of intensity to the survival aspect of gameplay while still not being completely gone for casual players who want a different experience.

I really liked a mod for F3 that made better use of all the garbage and props that you find in the wastelands. It was a perk and it allowed you to pick up chairs, barrels etc and instead of just throwing them around for physics fun... holding them in front of you actually gave you a temporary defense boost and you could use them as shields for a time. Added a whole new level of strategy to moving between cover and towards your targets that was much better than V.A.T.S in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Playing fallout shelter, made it so 1 man is making all the women pregnant. Time for him to do his bit for the future of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Game are the only one in UK to get the pip boy according to Eurogamer.

But we aren't in the UK? Or are they including us with the UK?

If so that's ridiculous. We shouldn't need to order from UK to get it.
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    So you have to pay full amount now is it?

At least with Amazon you don't pay until they're sending it.

Does look like great bargain tho.

No, you pay a couple days before the game releases.
    maximoose wrote: »
    Christ you are right - I only went as far as the basket, but at checkout I can see the discount

Even more tempting so!

Ends up around 140 though! Unless the pound takes a bating by November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I've been playing Shelter on and off all day.

Even their mobile games are the dog's bollocks. I'm hooked.

Advertisement