Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This time next week I'll be playing Fallout 4 & disappearing off the face of the earth for a few months :D

Hiding away in Vault Misky then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Kirby wrote:
    But I've settled on 1,6,3,3,4,5,6

Think I'll just go all 4's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This time next week I'll be playing Fallout 4 & disappearing off the face of the earth for a few months :D

Don't lie...you'll be popping onto Boards like a lot of others here...coming onto this thread...posting the things you did that day in Fallout...with 90% of it in Spoiler tags.
    This will go on for 2 months or so for those players :)

I tend to just leave the threads alone once I get the actual game and play it, then revisit once complete :P...cause you are all spoiling bakstards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kirby wrote: »

But I've settled on 1,6,3,3,4,5,6 :D

I just had a go at http://vault111.com/character/ and realised how I'm really not prepared for launch. Need to spend some time on this as Monday night is gonna be late enough without still making a charcter when the sun comes up. It now has the new perks as well, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I just had a go at http://vault111.com/character/ and realised how I'm really not prepared for launch. Need to spend some time on this as Monday night is gonna be late enough without still making a charcter when the sun comes up. It now has the new perks as well, very handy.

Ive put a ton of thought into it.

The 1,6,3,3,4,5,6 lets me jump straight into the character I want to play. Sniper/shotgun style heavily utilising VATS. My first perk will be idiot savant for the triple XP chance for every kill, quest, lockpick/hack/exploration, etc. My int is at 4 for hacking and gun nut so its low enough to make some use idiot savant and make it worth it.

I'll follow this by next getting Rifleman, Action boy, Scrounger, Night Creature, Locksmith, hacker, Livegiver, and Lone Wanderer. By this point I'll be level 10 and will spend a four levels pumping Perception and Luck to 8.

So as you can see, I've gone full OCD in my thinking behind it. :o:p

It will actually stand me in good stead because I usually spend hours procrastinating instead of playing. Having the build settled for me just lets me jump right in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Think i'm gonna go

Strength: 4
    Perception: 6
    Endurance: 7
    Charisma: 4
    Intelligence: 4
    Agility: 2
    Luck: 1

I have no idea what perks this will allow me to take. Do you just get whatever perks are unlocked by the level of each of the SPECIAL categories? i.e. Strength of 4 unlocks the first 4 strength perks?

My first go, I have my build looking like this. Might tweak it a bit, will have to look into the perks more but this will definitely save me time thinking about it on launch night and get me into the game faster. I've spoilered the Perks.

Strength 3 -
    Armourer (Create, Modify and Repair armour)
    Perception 4 -
    Lockpick (Easier to lockpick)
    Endurance 3 -
    Life Giver (Extra hit points), only need 3 but had an extra point.
    Charisma 6 - Local Leader
    (Establish supply lines between settlements)
    Intelligence 6 -
    Medic, gun nut, scrapper,
    Agility 3 -
    Gunslinger, commando, sneak
    Luck 2 -
    Scrounger

My first go, I have my build looking like this. Might tweak it a bit, will have to look into the perks more but this will definitely save me time thinking about it on launch night and get me into the game faster.

This is definitely the way to go.

Cheers chaps, you have saved me the 'rising panic' feel as I switch my gaze tween the tv and the clock on launch night. Fuck you work (and real life).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Think i'm gonna go

Strength: 4
    Perception: 6
    Endurance: 7
    Charisma: 4
    Intelligence: 4
    Agility: 2
    Luck: 1

I have no idea what perks this will allow me to take. Do you just get whatever perks are unlocked by the level of each of the SPECIAL categories? i.e. Strength of 4 unlocks the first 4 strength perks?

Nope. Thats not quite how it works. Every time you level up you can either put a point into SPECIAL or pick a perk.

So for you for example, you have picked intelligence 4. This gives you access to 4 perks in the intelligence tree. VANS, Medic, Gun Nut and Hacker. But you can pick whichever one you want. You can ignore the first 3 altogether and go straight for Hacker for example. It's pretty flexible. And keep in mind that each perk will have ranks to it. So you pick Hacker as your perk. Then in a few levels time, you might decide to boost hacker to level 2 to hack more adanced terminals.

I believe it works that you can pick 1 Perk everytime you level up and you can choose from Perks that are unlocked per the level you are in the Special Attributes. Like for Strength, I'm only interested in Armourer that needs Strength at 3. I have no interest in the Strength Perks at 1 and 2 so will be skipping them.

The vault111.com website shows you what perks you can choose from by the SPECIAL attributes you choose.

• Advertisement

Yupp, Special goes towards general stats of your character as well as dialogue choices. You might be able to convince someone to do something with a high enough Intelligence stat for example. The higher your intelligence stats, the more XP you get from the usual tasks, quests, lockpicking, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭millgate1

Man I just hope GameSeek will have it to me sometime during next week. I want 48 hours to straight binge play :during the weekend :D

12196022_954176014629332_6184266111554010042_n.png?oh=a135f08336ba57ca01aaee41c1d2527a&oe=56FACA54

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

My first go, I have my build looking like this. Might tweak it a bit, will have to look into the perks more but this will definitely save me time thinking about it on launch night and get me into the game faster. I've spoilered the Perks.
    Scrounger

Zero, I am thinking something very similar, except your Charisma perk seems more mid/late game to me, so I would prob drop that a point or two.
    I would also probably pick up
    Hacker from the Int Tree, and drop sneak. Screw sneaking. Walk softly, but carry a big gun.

Jesus the more I look at this, the more I'm absolutely flummoxed y what I want to do.

Shougeki wrote: »
    Zero, I am thinking something very similar, except your Charisma perk seems more mid/late game to me, so I would prob drop that a point or two.
    I would also probably pick up
    Hacker from the Int Tree, and drop sneak. Screw sneaking. Walk softly, but carry a big gun.

Jesus the more I look at this, the more I'm absolutely flummoxed y what I want to do.

Ah didn't know I left out Hacker, will definitely be equpping that. Yeah, I'm never really a stealth FO player anyway, always have a few stealthboys I never get around to using. I like high Charisma as I like making people do things my way just from talking. I usually take high strength but there is no need as I don't use meele attacks and you can lump your stuff on a companion.

I didn't even know VATS was there for 3/4 of my play through of FO3....... :P

So... If you take to many perks, you are essentially handicapping your character?

So... If you take to many perks, you are essentially handicapping your character?

Nope, I think there are 50 levels so you can choose 50 perks through your playthrough but I read with the Perks and each of them having a few different levels, there will 230ish perks altogether so it looks like you will just have to be careful what you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

12196022_954176014629332_6184266111554010042_n.png?oh=a135f08336ba57ca01aaee41c1d2527a&oe=56FACA54
    r/thathappened

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nope, I think there are 50 levels so you can choose 50 perks through your playthrough but I read with the Perks and each of them having a few different levels, there will 230ish perks altogether so it looks like you will just have to be careful what you choose.

There is no level cap. I think it requires more xp per level after level 50 though.

Is no one else thinking about maxing out intelligence to get as much xp as possible and therefore level more. It might get you extra levels which you could put into other SPECIAL skills if you really want. It really depends on what benefit each level of intelligence gives you but if it's decent I'm maxing it out.

• Advertisement

Is no one else thinking about maxing out intelligence to get as much xp as possible and therefore level more. It might get you extra levels which you could put into other SPECIAL skills if you really want. It really depends on what benefit each level of intelligence gives you but if it's decent I'm maxing it out.

I was. but from what I remembered from the previous games, it actually didn't work out that much of a difference over the length of the game....

EDIT: But I could be completely wrong..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was. but from what I remembered from the previous games, it actually didn't work out that much of a difference over the length of the game....

In the previous games there was a level cap so it didn't really matter how quickly you leveled up as you were going to hit the cap anyway more or less.

Does the world level with you like in skyrim?

In the previous games there was a level cap so it didn't really matter how quickly you leveled up as you were going to hit the cap anyway more or less.

I do believe there was a mod to remove it. At least that is what I remember. However the grey matter ain't what it used to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'm not gonna stress to much on my first playthrough trying to min/max everything about my character. Just going to explore the world and take **** as it comes to me. Then ill try break the game on my second run and make the ultimate character.

• Is this worldwide release on Friday or Tuesday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Is this worldwide release on Friday or Tuesday?!

Next Tuesday the 10th.

• MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Next Tuesday the 10th.

Baah **** all holidays left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Not wanting to be that guy but min/maxing In fallout new vegas required 9 points in intelligence at the start. After the showdown at the start you could run south and get a magazine bringing you to max intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not the biggest fan of Bethesda's open world games, because I'm a filthy hipster heretic :P Having a look at some of the screenshots of this, though, I find myself holding out some hope that they really go full-on with the kitsch 1950s stylings. The art direction seems to embrace bold colours and vivid lighting, with the remnants of civilisation contrasting distinctly with the post-apocalyptic wasteland. Given the continued crudeness of the engine powering everything, there's definitely potential there to push everything further with a strongly defined, unique artstyle. If the tone of the game manages to help develop that as well (rather than just the retro soundtrack doing the heavy lifting - although obviously that's an essential part of the mix ;)), it'd do a lot to help differentiate it from its predecessor and create a more consistent, interesting world.

Advertisement