Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just had a quick look at some of the leaked footage and it has to be said that the graphics are pretty bad. Although Fallout 3 wasn't the best looking game of its time it was still a superb game. The quality the footage was recorded at could also be a factor.

Still looking forward to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not the biggest fan of Bethesda's open world games, because I'm a filthy hipster heretic :P Having a look at some of the screenshots of this, though, I find myself holding out some hope that they really go full-on with the kitsch 1950s stylings. The art direction seems to embrace bold colours and vivid lighting, with the remnants of civilisation contrasting distinctly with the post-apocalyptic wasteland. Given the continued crudeness of the engine powering everything, there's definitely potential there to push everything further with a strongly defined, unique artstyle. If the tone of the game manages to help develop that as well (rather than just the retro soundtrack doing the heavy lifting - although obviously that's an essential part of the mix ;)), it'd do a lot to help differentiate it from its predecessor and create a more consistent, interesting world.

Have you played Fallout 3? Its just as you describe. I expect this to be a continuation of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Have you played Fallout 3? Its just as you describe. I expect this to be a continuation of that.

Yeah, but this looks like it could push it in a much more vivid and aesthetically pleasing direction. A lot of Fallout 3 was just sort of generically post-apocalyptic bleak, with a colour palette to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just had a quick look at some of the leaked footage and it has to be said that the graphics are pretty bad. Although Fallout 3 wasn't the best looking game of its time it was still a superb game. The quality the footage was recorded at could also be a factor.

from what ive heard all the footage is max 480p so you'll be missing a lot of detail considering the game is 1080, imo if it looks as good as skyrim il be happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'm guessing most of the leaked videos would have been recorded in 720p, downloaded, uploaded again with whatever crappy youtube encoding or whatever then downloaded again before youtube pulled it, then re-uploaded somewhere else again so most footage would have been well through the mill is my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It looks a little more pleasant alright. Sunny and bright. Still gonna be swathes of the world that are smashed up though.

It would be cool if there is eventually a zombie mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I feel the itch to have a few games of DEFCON in the lead up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

from what ive heard all the footage is max 480p so you'll be missing a lot of detail considering the game is 1080, imo if it looks as good as skyrim il be happy out

You'll be happy if the game only looks as good as a 4 year old game?

Surely it should look much better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

A good article on the music in the game, it describes a new character in the game voiced by
    Wonder Woman!
    She created 5 original songs for the games with lyrics about caps and super mutants as well.

https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=11215-FO-music#en/events/game/facing-the-music-in-fallout-4/2015/11/02/42

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A good article on the music in the game, it describes a new character in the game voiced by
    Wonder Woman!
    She created 5 original songs for the games with lyrics about caps and super mutants as well.

https://bethesda.net/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=11215-FO-music#en/events/game/facing-the-music-in-fallout-4/2015/11/02/42

Here's also a youtube playlist of all confirmed songs so far "gleamed" from leaked videos: https://radd.it/r/fo4/comments/3r7y7o/vids

Liking the sound :D

• Advertisement

Love this song:
    "Skeeter Davis - The end of the World"
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

mdwexford wrote: »
    You'll be happy if the game only looks as good as a 4 year old game?

Surely it should look much better than that.

I like fallout for its lore, universe, atmosphere, gameplay, crazy characters and exploration, nice graphics are a plus but if its on par with high/ultra skyrim on pc at 1080p il be happy, i thought that game looked great at times, particularly the mountain weather effects

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does the world level with you like in skyrim?
    The question of the hour. I bet they'll do it aswell even though games like the Witcher III prove its the wrong approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I like fallout for its lore, universe, atmosphere, gameplay, crazy characters and exploration, nice graphics are a plus but if its on par with high/ultra skyrim on pc at 1080p il be happy
    If those leaked videos are anything to go by, the game is not close to 1080p Ultra Skyrim PC levels, on consoles anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

Hi lads, would appreciate any input on this. I'm considering pre-ordering before it's too late from GameSeek as I've been hearing good stuff.

Would anyone suggest using Parcel Motel over my home address? Other than the free delivery does anyone know if I could expect faster delivery to the collection point over my house with anPost? Some are saying they've received items before release day but that hardly applies to Irish customers does it?

I was told by them that they they ship 1-2 days before release so that either means this Friday or this Monday, either or seem unlikely to reach before, let alone release day. Any insight would be appreciated, cheers. Apologies if this a repeated question.

I was told by them that they they ship 1-2 days before release so that either means this Friday or this Monday, either or seem unlikely to reach before, let alone release day. Any insight would be appreciated, cheers. Apologies if this a repeated question.

It only works out like €2 more to go parcel motel route and seems the safer option.

Royal mail work on Saturdays and usually deliveries take just 1 working day, parcel motel usually have it in your local locker the same night.

I'd go with PM if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yes deffo use parcel motel, not sure where you are but im in Dublin and I regularly get games the day before release this way.

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated. I'll order using the PM address so :)

@CombatCow,
    I'm from Dublin too, just out of curiosity, do you use the UK PM address or the Irish address?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Shougeki wrote: »
    I didn't even know VATS was there for 3/4 of my play through of FO3....... :P

How do they not tell you to use it to kill the roaches with your birthday present

Thargor wrote: »
    The question of the hour. I bet they'll do it aswell even though games like the Witcher III prove its the wrong approach.

I really, really hope the world doesn't level with you. It makes the combat seem really shallow.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated. I'll order using the PM address so :)

@CombatCow,
    I'm from Dublin too, just out of curiosity, do you use the UK PM address or the Irish address?

It would be the uk Northern Ireland address. The Irish Dublin PM address you might as well just have the parcel delivered to your door and bypass pm altogether as it's not going to make it any faster. That service would only be for someone who's away on holidays or so.

Thanks a lot MiskyBoyy for all the info. Really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I really, really hope the world doesn't level with you. It makes the combat seem really shallow.

It also makes the game harder, which could scare off a lot of people. I sincerely doubt they'll have no leveling, though one would hope it won't be bandits-in-daedric-armor blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I've ordered the Pip Boy edition online with Gamestop and have paid the deposit. It was supposed to be instore collection but now I'll be away in the States on a business trip.

Will they hold my copy of the game until I'm back to collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I've ordered the Pip Boy edition online with Gamestop and have paid the deposit. It was supposed to be instore collection but now I'll be away in the States on a business trip.

I think they hold it up to 72hrs after release? Could be wrong on that though.

If you have a receipt it should say on it how long they will hold the pre-order for.

Their "Level 3 Gamestop+" crap, 1 of the bonuses is they will hold pre-orders for 4 days so I think a regular pre-order will be held for only 48 hours.

Best ask on their twitter or call them it doesn't say on your receipt tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Get someone else to pick it up for you?

Bethesda have released a fallout themed messaging app for android (& ios?) called "Fallout C.H.A.T": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bethsoft.falloutchat

lfkfq.jpg

Here's what it looks like when you share the message to someone, you send it as a pic via other apps viber, facebook etc:

xvfxw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Does the world level with you like in skyrim?
    Thargor wrote: »

It does level with you. But it has ranges. For example, a starter area might have enemies with a range of level 5 -10. So if you rock up there at level 6, they will be level 6 plus or minus a level or two. If you are level 8, they will be level 8 plus or minus a level. But they cap at 10 so if you are 15, they stay at 10.

So there will be areas where you are overleveled for and can blast through easily and there will also be areas with high level ranges like 30-40 that will own you a few hours into the game if you go exploring. But if you follow the organic path laid out for you, the enemies will likely always be around your level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

That fallout chat, tried it...smiled at the start...sent a message...realised that there's not a lot of depth to it, and that typing long messages isn't effecient at all. In fact it's quite slow to respond to key presses (that's on an S6 ) It's really a novelty. Uninstalled after 5 mins :(

Advertisement