Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Someone suggest a good character for me, I dont have a clue whats going on with this new SPECIAL and Perks system, I like energy weapons, sniping, lockpicking and general all roundness...

I thought with an unlimited level cap you'd be able to get all the perks anyway but it seems some are locked if you dont have the right SPECIAL attributes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Fallout 3s story can be fully explained in one sentence... accurately. It's not a story based series anymore and I'm surprised people care this much.

I'm 100% in it for the gameplay (fixed by mods), exploration and violence. Any story immersion will be from my own rolelpaying which the base story will barely effect, if at all.

You can't 'spoil' that there's weapon customisation. But you could spoil that there's a X important fight in X area or X person dies (unlikely in a modern Bethesda games. NPCs are all invincible these days).

Just avoid spoiler tags if you do care, though.

But the ending has already been leaked, that much is true. An audio clip with
    the ending dialogue is spreading around. https://a.pomf.cat/wqklnu.ogg
    TLDR: War Changes
    The leaks are saying that only one line of dialog changes based on what the player did. The rest is the same cut and paste for every player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

madcabbage wrote: »
    Anyone seen Adverts and Donedeal for the Pipboy editions and the mental prices they're charging? Some silly figures up there.

Amazon.fr still have some in stock, although the price is getting higher each day, must be running out of stock now.

• Fallout 3s story can be fully explained in one sentence... accurately. It's not a story based series anymore and I'm surprised people care this much.

I'm 100% in it for the gameplay (fixed by mods), exploration and violence. Any story immersion will be from my own rolelpaying which the base story will barely effect, if at all.

You can't 'spoil' that there's weapon customisation. But you could spoil that there's a X important fight in X area or X person dies (unlikely in a modern Bethesda games. NPCs are all invincible these days).

Just avoid spoiler tags if you do care, though.

But the ending has already been leaked, that much is true. An audio clip with
    the ending dialogue is spreading around. https://a.pomf.cat/wqklnu.ogg
    TLDR: War Changes
    The leaks are saying that only one line of dialog changes based on what the player did. The rest is the same cut and paste for every player.

You could spoil a brand new gameplay mechanic introduced into the game. Find out for yourself and it's much more rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Thargor wrote: »
    Someone suggest a good character for me, I dont have a clue whats going on with this new SPECIAL and Perks system, I like energy weapons, sniping, lockpicking and general all roundness...

I thought with an unlimited level cap you'd be able to get all the perks anyway but it seems some are locked if you dont have the right SPECIAL attributes?

Perception and agility (with a bit in intelligence) to start most likely for you. Im going to have a detailed look myself this weekend. From what I've heard you can get everything the game has to offer because the level cap is unlimited, it just depends on the order you assign your specials and perks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Perception and agility (with a bit in intelligence) to start most likely for you. Im going to have a detailed look myself this weekend. From what I've heard you can get everything the game has to offer because the level cap is unlimited, it just depends on the order you assign your specials and perks.

I think you have to get to level 275 to unlock everything but that will take a long time. Possibly another play through if there is a new game plus mode or you can carry on after the main story is over.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think you have to get to level 275 to unlock everything but that will take a long time. Possibly another play through if there is a new game plus mode or you can carry on after the main story is over.

New game plus could be great in this. If it isn't in the final version a mod will definitely make it happen. It might not be able to bring across items but your character should be easy to do.

I have all.next week off work. We will see who can't get to level 275 before the week is out ;)

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You could spoil a brand new gameplay mechanic introduced into the game. Find out for yourself and it's much more rewarding.

This is true, but it's still a matter of opinion. The back of the game's case could as well contain spoilers if you go in with that attitude.

It depends on what you value. I value story but not in Fallout (after the originals). I value gameplay but don't mind knowing more. For example in DMC4: Special Edition I absolutely want to know what new characters they added... that's the reason one would buy the game.

In Fallout I absolutely want to know what new gameplay mechanics they've added because that's why I would buy it. I don't just buy games without knowing what they've added or improved on. I don't just assume the game is better because it's a sequel because we all know that's not the case (Silent Hill!) The bar was set high with NV + mods. Fallout 4 from the sounds of these leaks is not taking any pointers from NV but instead basing all the upgrades around where F3 left off (which imo is drastically inferior to NV in many ways except exploration.) so the more info the better. But something like where a Behemoth is... that's not something I want to know because that will be an exciting, terrifying surprise. Telling me where one is early on would be a spoiler to me but I also wouldn't expect someone to wrap it in spoiler formatting so... it's subjective. I think we can all agree to spoiler story related stuff even if it is simple as a kids book.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think you can assume with certain series that the sequel is better and worth buying, especially with Elder Scrolls and Fallout, discovery yourself is far superior to looking it up online, just stick it in spoiler tags, it takes 2 clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

**** I'm hyped.

I don't think it's possible to be any more hyped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

As one of my favourite quests in Fallout 3 was The Replicated Man, I'm really liking how
    Synth
    heavy the story seems to be. Gonna be a loooooong weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have it pre-ordered on PS4 but am considering getting the Xbox One version instead because of the free copy of Fallout 3 and the mod support. It will probably have a slightly lesser resolution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Have it pre-ordered on PS4 but am considering getting the Xbox One version instead because of the free copy of Fallout 3 and the mod support. It will probably have a slightly lesser resolution though.

PS4 has mod support too, but it's just not coming as quickly as Xbone.

• This is true, but it's still a matter of opinion. The back of the game's case could as well contain spoilers if you go in with that attitude.

It depends on what you value. I value story but not in Fallout (after the originals). I value gameplay but don't mind knowing more. For example in DMC4: Special Edition I absolutely want to know what new characters they added... that's the reason one would buy the game.

In Fallout I absolutely want to know what new gameplay mechanics they've added because that's why I would buy it. I don't just buy games without knowing what they've added or improved on. I don't just assume the game is better because it's a sequel because we all know that's not the case (Silent Hill!) The bar was set high with NV + mods. Fallout 4 from the sounds of these leaks is not taking any pointers from NV but instead basing all the upgrades around where F3 left off (which imo is drastically inferior to NV in many ways except exploration.) so the more info the better. But something like where a Behemoth is... that's not something I want to know because that will be an exciting, terrifying surprise. Telling me where one is early on would be a spoiler to me but I also wouldn't expect someone to wrap it in spoiler formatting so... it's subjective. I think we can all agree to spoiler story related stuff even if it is simple as a kids book.

I love a good story and you never know this may have a good one but I expect the gameplay to be king here.
    To make my specific point clearer here is one of the best examples:

Half Life 2 - Ravenholm
    Played the game not knowing anything about it and experienced one of the most original weapons (gravity gun) introduced into any game.
    Dropped my jaw how awesome it was and it's now one of my fondest gaming memory's.
    Here are some more examples I can think of off the top of head in no particular order:

Fallout 3 VATS
    Batman Ark ham Asylum - First experience with the combat system
    Uncharted and it's intuitive climbing mechanics
    Bayonettas combat system
    Grenades in Halo CE
    Gears of War Chainsaw
    Dead Rising and the millions of zombies on-screen
    Max Payne bullet-time
    Bioshocks Big Daddys
    Grand Theft Auto 3 - from 2D - 3D
    Metal Gear Solid - Stealth mechanics
    Unreal Tournament - Headshot!!
    Super Metroid - Speed Boots
    Bloodbournes dodge system
    Shadow Of Mordors Nemesis system
    Portal & Portal 2's Gun
    Left 4 Deads AI director

I could go on all day :P
    I'm hoping for one of these moments in Fallout 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

It will probably have a slightly lesser resolution though.

"Fallout 4 will run at 1080p, 30FPS on PS4 & Xbox One.

• MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Sold then. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Man that Launch trailer is kinda lame. Much prefer the 60s music playing over a montage of cool **** going on :D

• Advertisement

I think you can assume with certain series that the sequel is better and worth buying, especially with Elder Scrolls and Fallout

Good one.

Silent Hill was a great series to buy... until Homecoming. Souls series was great to invest in from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls... until Dark Souls 2. I'm not saying that's happening with F4 (and some people like Homecoming/SH:H) but it's just something that can happen.
    discovery yourself is far superior to looking it up online, just stick it in spoiler tags, it takes 2 clicks.

Buy game without knowing anything
    - Yay it's awesome
    - Oh damn it sucks

The idea is to get a decent understanding of the content in a game before you give them your money. At least for me it is. An example is if F4 doesn't offer as much content over NV even with a generation gap in hardware then it gets pushed to bargain bin prices for me.

Here's hoping. I won't really know the details about it until its been in the hands of actual players for a while. Marketing material can't always be trusted. Like the graphics marketing for F4 is looking pretty suspicious in light of what's being revealed from the leaks.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I love a good story and you never know this may have a good one but I expect the gameplay to be king here.

I certainly hope so too!

Fallout to me is exploration, getting a character build just right and roleplaying that. Doing fun things. My personal favorite is the evil route. Charismatic, usually pretty well off from careful bartering, and has a the fine skill of being able to uppercut the head off the shoulders of anyone that pisses her off (which is 90% of the annoying NPCs Bethesda seem to create) but this is very hard to pull off anymore because every character you come across that means anything to any plot is invincible. NV was great in that it made everyone killable. This allows you to craft your own plot since the pre-defined ones are quite limited. Smaller side quests are kinda nice sometimes if they don't have too much baggage because they can fit in just fine with whatever story you're building up.

Most people can't roleplay for their dinner, though. Voiced protag and extremely vague dialog choices make it even harder.

As for story... already 'spoiled' the story for myself so I can safely say for myself it's bad and nothing of value lost reading and listening to the leaks about it.
    It's stupidly similar to F3. Leave vault, search for family, find em', make important decision regarding the wasteland. END.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good luck chaps, enjoy the game, i'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just read that people are posting massive spoilers on youtube comments for MrMattyPlays (who does a lot of Fallout Vids) and I'm guessing TheNthApple will be getting the same. Absolute gowls out there, but careful watching any Fallout vids leading up to and after the launch.

People read youtube comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Shougeki wrote: »
    People read youtube comments?

Youtube comments are full of comedy gold! You're missing out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So much for pre loading on PSN. Just checked now and it states pre loading will only start on Monday. So thats 24hrs for all the digital pre orders to download the game. PSN is going to crash and burn big time. Really Sony, they have not learned a thing. PSN will be under pressure from all the Blops 3 online traffic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

So much for pre loading on PSN. Just checked now and it states pre loading will only start on Monday. So thats 24hrs for all the digital pre orders to download the game. PSN is going to crash and burn big time. Really Sony, they have not learned a thing. PSN will be under pressure from all the Blops 3 online traffic too.

Are you serious? Great! Jesus sometimes Sony are behind the times

• So much for pre loading on PSN. Just checked now and it states pre loading will only start on Monday. So thats 24hrs for all the digital pre orders to download the game. PSN is going to crash and burn big time. Really Sony, they have not learned a thing. PSN will be under pressure from all the Blops 3 online traffic too.

X1 version it is so. Sony ffs

Man that Launch trailer is kinda lame. Much prefer the 60s music playing over a montage of cool **** going on :D

NO REGRETS WATCHING THIS OMG. Actually got a shiver at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm bowing out too. Those spoiler tags are just too easy to click on. I don't trust my fingers (never did).

• Advertisement

Anyone else not all that excited about the combat side of things? I think I've reached a saturation point of in terms of FPS games. This looks like a generic shooter most of the time.

I might go for a melee character.

Advertisement