Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Chuck" roast??

Options
  • 10-01-2013 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Ok guys need help with this one. Attempting to make beef dip for myself and bf. he's never had it and I want it to be perfect!! However all the recipes call for a "chuck" roast. Anyone know the Irish name for this cut of beef?
    Or if anyone has made beef dip or similar and could recommend a cut of beef for it it would be appreciated!
    Bought a slow cooker this morning for this. Have a feeling every dinner for a while will come straight from this :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's a beef dip?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Standard Canadian pub grub, bit like a steak sandwich... except amazing.

french-dip-beef-dip.jpg&w=245&h=168&ei=zMnuUL3fKIyYhQfUq4CIAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=313&vpy=430&dur=83&hovh=134&hovw=196&tx=152&ty=75&sig=101827926562183055615&page=2&tbnh=134&tbnw=171&start=25&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:0,i:171

The beef is just amazing and it comes with this bowl of au jus to dip in. Honestly just really good tasty comfort food. Haven't had it in about 3 years and any time I think of it my mouth waters:)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Generally stewing beef that you buy in most supermarkets or butchers is chuck beef as far as I know. It's ideal for slow cooking.

You will have to let's us know how you get on sounds lovely real winter food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If it's a roasting joint you use, then I'd recommend rib rather than round. Rib has marbling throughout and so is more moist and flavoursome. Round is completely lean and can be quite dry. Having said that, I've cooked round roast in the slow cooker and it was quite moist and tender.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The meat guide is always worth a look fro these questions, according to this it's the first two ribs and usually diced for braising. So pretty much stewing beef.

That looks really good by the way, I'll have to give a go sometime, looks ideal for a slow cooker.

• Advertisement

Emcm wrote: »
    Generally stewing beef that you buy in most supermarkets or butchers is chuck beef as far as I know. It's ideal for slow cooking.

You will have to let's us know how you get on sounds lovely real winter food.

It is so so good so hopefully it works out!

Great guys thanks for the help- I can't see my pic so don't know if the link worked but have a look at it yourself online. Its such gorgeous food! Wish I could get one here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Thud

French Dip is the Californian version (i think) made with a french style baguette any roasting joint will do as you just need to slice it very thin and dip in the jus before filling the bread. Roast it on top of carrot, onion and celery (mirepoix!) and some beef stock to get the jus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

OT, I know, but I inwardly wince every time I hear the term "au jus" to describe the dip itself. It's just "jus"! Argghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Did I see that on Man vs Food? I think I recall a sandwich where the bread was dipped in the jus, looked amazing, could it be slow cooked brisket, the Americans and presumedly Canadians also use that cut for slow barbeque cooking all the time, Irish butchers seem to use it solely for corned beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Did I see that on Man vs Food? I think I recall a sandwich where the bread was dipped in the jus, looked amazing, could it be slow cooked brisket, the Americans and presumedly Canadians also use that cut for slow barbeque cooking all the time, Irish butchers seem to use it solely for corned beef.

Chuck is meatier than brisket with less fat running through it. Round steak should do it if you cook long and slow.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    OT, I know, but I inwardly wince every time I hear the term "au jus" to describe the dip itself. It's just "jus"! Argghhh!

Jesus. You have my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I just googled Beef Dip, and now really want it!!

Do you have a link to a good recipe?

Guys it was amazing and so easy! Try it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

gg2 wrote: »
    Guys it was amazing and so easy! Try it!

What cut of beef did you use in the end?

What cut of beef did you use in the end?

Told the butcher what the suggestions I got here and what I wanted it for and he recommended housekeepers cut. It was perfect. Initially I wanted something that would sort of "flake" more but it really was lovely, will deffo use it again

Advertisement