Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR and Internal Siren not working since I removed and rewired them

Options
  • 10-01-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

I had to remove the PIR and internal siren to accomodate new piping in my hall. It was a simple case of removing the wiring, threading the cable through the timber boxing in the pipes and rewiring them again. I made note of where the wires go and rewired exactly as before. Now neither of them work. If the alarm is set off, the external bell sounds but not the internal siren. If I try to set the alarm with the PIR active, the warning buzzer telling me to leave just keeps buzzing. The PIR LED is constantly blinging on and off every second even if there is no movement in the hall.

Could this be a tamper issue or something else. Is there any other information I would need to provide in the hope of getting a solution. I can take pictures of both devices if that would help.

Thanks

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Comer1 wrote: »
    I had to remove the PIR and internal siren to accomodate new piping in my hall. It was a simple case of removing the wiring, threading the cable through the timber boxing in the pipes and rewiring them again. I made note of where the wires go and rewired exactly as before. Now neither of them work. If the alarm is set off, the external bell sounds but not the internal siren. If I try to set the alarm with the PIR active, the warning buzzer telling me to leave just keeps buzzing. The PIR LED is constantly blinging on and off every second even if there is no movement in the hall.

Could this be a tamper issue or something else. Is there any other information I would need to provide in the hope of getting a solution. I can take pictures of both devices if that would help.

Thanks

Conor

Hi Conor.

The pir needs to close for the system to set. Try down oowering the pir and powering it back up.
    What system have you installed?
    Are the positive and negative wired the correct way in the internal bell?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks

Conor

Hi Conor,

There is definitely some power issue there. Have you a meter to check the positive going to the internal? Is the panel showing any fuse fault when disarmed? I would disconnect & reconnect the PiR . To see if that clears it.
    Is there a part set on the alarm ? Does that set OK?
    It would also help to know what system it is. Astec PiRs are notorious for this if they get a bad power up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

Thanks for the replies. If you mean disconnect and reconnect the pir to power down, I've tried that with no success. When I try to arm it says "Open Zone(s) PIR HALL" I can part arm the system or arm it by inhibiting the PIR zone.The alarm has an Aritech CS350 control panel and was installed about 16 years ago. I've attached pictures of the PIR and internal bell. Luckily, I also have the engineers code but if it's a programing issue, I've no idea where to go with that.

Thanks again for the help so far

Thanks for the replies. If you mean disconnect and reconnect the pir to power down, I've tried that with no success. When I try to arm it says "Open Zone(s) PIR HALL" I can part arm the system or arm it by inhibiting the PIR zone.The alarm has an Aritech CS350 control panel and was installed about 16 years ago. I've attached pictures of the PIR and internal bell. Luckily, I also have the engineers code but if it's a programing issue, I've no idea where to go with that.

Thanks again for the help so far

Can you press the down arrow twice on the keypad and tell us what it lists off?
    Can you disconnect the internal bell and the PIR and connect the pir back up on its own to see if the PIR resets?

Pressing the down arrow does nothing. Pressing the up arrow once brings up Inhibit and a second press brings up Not Allowed. Disconnecting the internal bell and pir and then reconnecting pir made no difference either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would also close off the tamper on the PiR and wire the pair for the alarm to either side of the resistor to eliminate a wiring problem.
    But from what your saying it sounds like the PiR is causing your problem.
    After closing off as above take the power off both the PiR & the Internal & close off the tamper from the internal.
    Now go into engineer & show open zones. Everything should show closed.
    Start by wiring the positive back into the internal & check again
    If OK add the negative into the internal & try again . If all is still closed test the internal & see if it activates.
    If not take the internal negative out at the panel & touch it off aux negative. Does that sound the internal?
    If your good at this stage proceed to reconnect the power to the PiR checking open zones at every stage.
    Pressing the down arrow does nothing. Pressing the up arrow once brings up Inhibit and a second press brings up Not Allowed.

No real need to do this as open zones in engineer will do the same as down arrow twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is the red light coming on/off on the pir? Can you hear the relay clicking?

As the lads above say it sounds like a power problem. Did the red/black wires touch when you had them disconnected? I would say you may have blown a fuse in the panel, fairly easy to change.

The internal may be a fuse but the PiR seems to be getting power. A high resistance short is also a possibility and it could be bringing the power down slightly. The PiR may be getting power but not enough to close the relay.

Step by step is the best approach here.
    Conor, do you have a multi meter?

Pressing the down arrow does nothing. Pressing the up arrow once brings up Inhibit and a second press brings up Not Allowed. Disconnecting the internal bell and pir and then reconnecting pir made no difference either.

Show open zones is not set up so. It sounds like an issue with the PIR. It may be faulty.
    The internal bell and the 12V supply for the PIR share the same fuse so you having power going to the PIR indicates the fuse is ok.

Close off the tamper in the internal bell by either closing the lid or join the tamper connections blue/yellow together.

Can you connect from the PIR the yellow cable to the end of the resistor in the N/C terminal beside it.
    Also connect the blue/white together to close off the PIR tamper.

The alarm should set now if you test it.

Can you connect the internal bell on its own and test the internal bell.
    If this does not work can you connect it direct to the 12V supply to see if there is an issue with the internal bell? The internal bell should ring if there is no problem with it.

altor wrote: »
    Show open zones is not set up so. It sounds like an issue with the PIR. It may be faulty.
    The internal bell and the 12V supply for the PIR share the same fuse so you having power going to the PIR indicates the fuse is ok.

Close off the tamper in the internal bell by either closing the lid or join the tamper connections blue/yellow together.

Can you connect from the PIR the yellow cable to the end of the resistor in the N/C terminal beside it.
    Also connect the blue/white together to close off the PIR tamper.

The alarm should set now if you test it.

Can you connect the internal bell on its own and test the internal bell.
    If this does not work can you connect it direct to the 12V supply to see if there is an issue with the internal bell? The internal bell should ring if there is no problem with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I should point out that I know nothing about alarms, so I'm not exactly sure what you are asking me to do, particularly with the pir. The red and black cables definately did touch but while I don't know if the bell is getting power, the light on the pir is blinging on/off. I will have another go when I get home later today.

• Advertisement

Ok. The best way to proceed is this.

Put panel into engineer mode and display open zones.
    Disconnect all red and blacks and keep them separated.
    Disconnect blue and yellow from the internal and join them together.
    Disconnect the green and white from the PiR and join those together.
    Disconnect the Blue and yellow from the PiR and connect to each end of the resistor.
    The panel should now show all closed.
    Next reconnect red and black into the internal and see if the internal works.
    Post back when you get this done.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Ok. The best way to proceed is this.

Put panel into engineer mode and display open zones.
    Disconnect all red and blacks and keep them separated.
    Disconnect blue and yellow from the internal and join them together.
    Disconnect the green and white from the PiR and join those together.
    Disconnect the Blue and yellow from the PiR and connect to each end of the resistor.
    The panel should now show all closed.
    Next reconnect red and black into the internal and see if the internal works.
    Post back when you get this done.

Great stuff! Progress at last, the internal Bell is now working, it was a fuse. I did everything you said above and it did show all zones closed. I could then set the alarm as normal without the PI R. What does this indicate?

Good stuff . Now rewire in the blue and yellow on the internal and close up.
    After checking everything is still good rewire the PiR and check again.
    Be careful not to touch the red off any others.

Good stuff . Now rewire in the blue and yellow on the internal and close up.
    After checking everything is still good rewire the PiR and check again.
    Be careful not to touch the red off any others.

The internal is rewired working and perfectly. I rewired the pir but it is still showing as an open zone.

The internal is rewired working and perfectly. I rewired the pir but it is still showing as an open zone.

Can you close off the PIR by means of joining the cable and resistor together that is wired in the N/NC terminals of the PIR.

Replace the PIR if that closes the zone in the control panel.

I got it sorted thanks to all the help I got on here and blind luck. The pir was wired up incorrectly. Once I figure that out and wired correctly, all I had to do was set it as an entry exit zone and all seems to be fine now.

Thanks for all your help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Is the PiR is the hall. If the front door is alarmed the PiR should not be entry exit. It should be alarm with the attribute access (ac)

Is the PiR is the hall. If the front door is alarmed the PiR should not be entry exit. It should be alarm with the attribute access (ac)

The front door is alarmed with Zone type set to entry exit. The pir is in the front hall. Once I had the pir working, it would go off when I tried to do a full set until I changed pir zone type to entry exit. Should I change it to zone type alarm and zone attribute to AC?

All sorted now! Set pir as alarmed, part guard and access. Amazing how much I've learned about alarms in just two days. Of course I was coming from a very low starting point :)

Thanks again!

Glad you got it all sorted. Its mostly a process of elimination with something like that.

• Advertisement

All sorted now! Set pir as alarmed, part guard and access. Amazing how much I've learned about alarms in just two days. Of course I was coming from a very low starting point :)

Thanks again!

Great to see you got it all working again. Alarms are easy to do once you have the right information ;)

I'm back again :-( which means I must be in trouble again. I had to disconnect the pir again and despite my best efforts, I think the red and black wires touched. Now when I try to set the alarm I get an error "fuse" I've changed the fuses in the alarm but no joy. It's an Aritech BTW

Is the PiR getting power?

Is the PiR getting power?

Yes

Its back to the elimination process again.
    The Keypad is Ok , the aux power is ok. Check the bells intternal and external & battery.
    Better still.... Do you have a multi meter?

Yes, I have a multi meter, but I'll need a bit of instruction on how I can use it to get to the root of the problem. The external bell is working fine but I think the internal is not (even though I didn't touch it.) How do I check the battery?

As before, I can part gaurd. I can also fully set alarm if I inhibit the PIR.

Set your multi meter to continuity and remove each fuse and check it touching each meter lead to each end of the fuse.

I'll do that this evening.

Thanks

I just had a look at the multimeter and I can't see a continuity mode. See attached picture. Is it like a wi-fi symbol on its side?:confused:

My lack of knowledge in this area is really embarrassing:pac:

• Advertisement

Set it to 200ohms. That's putting the dial to 6 O clock.
    Touch the 2 leads together and the reading will show close to 0.00
    This is what you want to see when you check each fuse.
    Remember you must remove the fuse from the pub to check it correctly.
    As you say the PIR is showing open start with the the aux fuse first.

Advertisement