Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR and Internal Siren not working since I removed and rewired them

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

The fuses are ok

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OK. Now open the PiR , set you meter to 12vdc (3rd one anti clockwise) And check the voltage there Red lead to + & Black to negative.
    If thats ok check the alarm connections in the PiR.

For the PIR it shows 11.08 but when I test the internal in the same way, it only shows 0.58

When I have the PIR wired up and go into show open zones, the display keeps flashing from "PIR Hall" to "All Closed" every couple of seconds.

Also I closed the PIR by disconnecting the black and red, connecting blue/yellow together and white/green across the resistor. With this done I can set the alarm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

11.08 is a little low. The internal will show 0 volts unless its ringing.
    If you trigger the alarm & you are still getting that reading then there is your problem.

• Advertisement

Comer1 wrote: »
    When I have the PIR wired up and go into show open zones, the display keeps flashing from "PIR Hall" to "All Closed" every couple of seconds.

That is as it should be. Its picking you up in the hall.
    Have you the access attribute applied to that zone?

I disconnected the yellow and blue wires of the internal and joined them together. I disconnected the red and black from the internal and set off the alarm. When I tested the black and red of the internal with a multimeter they showed 0.00 and the display on the alarm keypad displayed "fuse"

Meter the voltage between Internal + & Aux -
    What does it show?

If you mean between 3 and 6 on the main panel in the attached picture, it's reading -0.28

Then if fuse 2 is definitely good then that output is gone.
    Connect the Internal + To external + or Aux +

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Then if fuse 2 is definitely good then that output is gone.
    Connect the Internal + To external + or Aux +

I connected internal + to external + and when I do a chime test, nothing but an external test has both internal and external sounding. I think i have no power going to the PIR now though.

There is something not right here. The + are permanent it's the - that switch.
    Feeding a different + should make no difference.
    Either there is a serious problem with the panel or something wrong with the wiring.
    Are the internal, external and PIR all on separate cables.?
    At this stage I would disconnect all of them and check all the outputs.
    If they are all ok add one device at a time checking everything as you go.

Does it matter if the internal and external are working together? This morning I had the PIR closed off and I could partguard and fully set the alarm. When I tripped the alarm both internal and external bells sounded. If I could now get the PIR working, would there be any problem with leaving it at that?

Anything using fuse 2 does not work. I first tried joining the internal+ to the Aux+ and there was still no power going to the internal. I'm a bit concerned now that I have no power going to the PIR. Not sure what I could have done last night to do that. Which terminals are the PIR connected to in the main panel?

Take the connections out of int + use either of the other +s..
    Once you have used separate - s you should be able to switch them individually.

I hope I've followed your instructions correctly. I connected the internal+ to the external+ as shown in the attached file (white cable connecting 6 to 4) and now all seems to be working perfectly. I tried disconnecting the internal= and putting it into external+ directly, but when I then connected the power to the PIR, the internal started to make a kind of squaking noise.

Is it OK to leave it like this? Do you think my problems are sorted?

Take everything out of 6 & put the 2 reds into 4. That should be ok.

Take everything out of 6 & put the 2 reds into 4. That should be ok.

When I do that the internal continues to ring but as if its only getting half the power it needs to ring fully. Is there anything wrong with leaving it with the wire joining 4 and 6?

It is indicating a serious problem with the panel.
    What about of you connect it to the Aux + ?

It is indicating a serious problem with the panel.
    What about of you connect it to the Aux + ?

There seems to be no power to aux as it is on fuse 2

If its working leave it be, but there is a serious problem with the panel if its struggling with 2 bells & a Pirs.
    Time to consider an upgrade,

• Advertisement

If its working leave it be, but there is a serious problem with the panel if its struggling with 2 bells & a Pirs.
    Time to consider an upgrade,

Is there any danger in leaving it as it is long term or is my biggest worry that the system will fail in the near future?

Not dangerous. The worst it will do is blow more fuses.

Not dangerous. The worst it will do is blow more fuses.

Hopefully I can live with that.

I hope you can realise how much I appreciate all your help with this. It must be pretty frustrating when you are dealing with someone whose level of knowledge is so poor that they can't even use a multimeter:o

Thanks again and if your blood type is O and you ever need a kidney or anything, just PM me, I won't leave you stuck.

Conor

Not a bother Conor. You did fine with it.

Advertisement