Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you consider a decent deposit for a house?

Options
  • 10-01-2013 1:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 48

45k deposit for 220k house decent??or would I need more

Just wondering what the average deposit knocks of the agreed price..

Anyone ever buy theres cash no mortgage??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

what a strange post.

A bank normally sets the maximum loan to value, ie. 92% can be supplied by the bank, the remaining 8% by the buyer, so therefore 18K would be the required deposit, any more is up to the buyer to use as he wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Higher deposit will not get a lower price as the vendor still only gets the entire lot at the end.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 daddymac90

MYOB wrote: »
    Higher deposit will not get a lower price as the vendor still only gets the entire lot at the end.

I know that but would that 45k to 220k be considered a decent deposit or should i try save more

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

daddymac90 wrote: »
    I know that but would that 45k to 220k be considered a decent deposit or should i try save more

yes it would. depending on circumstance of application

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The bigger the deposit the smaller the mortgage. If you are in no rush to buy then keep on saving. Depending on where you are looking to buy, there is a chance that the houses will be cheaper again this time next year, so bigger deposit + smaller house price = smaller mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 48 daddymac90

plan to buy in 3 years just hope they don't start going back up by then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Also, you can avail of mortgages with a better rate of interest by providing a bigger deposit, as you are reducing the risk to the bank and they can pass along this in the form of lower interest rates.

For example, take a look at AIBs rates:
    http://www.mortgages.ie/index.cfm/spKey/home.mortgage_rates.html

If you need borrow more than 80% of the home's worth, the current variable rate is 4.32%
    If you need to borrow between 50% and 80% of the home's worth, the rate is 4.11%
    If you need to borrow less than 50%, the rate is 3.9%

Over 25 / 30 years, the difference between the rates (if they are maintained for the lifetime of the mortgage) will mean you save many thousands in interest payments I'd guess! Personally I'd do my best to get in under the 80% LTV mark if possible, but then again I'm a very risk-averse person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

ionapaul wrote: »
    Also, you can avail of mortgages with a better rate of interest by providing a bigger deposit, as you are reducing the risk to the bank and they can pass along this in the form of lower interest rates.

For example, take a look at AIBs rates:
    http://www.mortgages.ie/index.cfm/spKey/home.mortgage_rates.html

If you need borrow more than 80% of the home's worth, the current variable rate is 4.32%
    If you need to borrow between 50% and 80% of the home's worth, the rate is 4.11%
    If you need to borrow less than 50%, the rate is 3.9%

Over 25 / 30 years, the difference between the rates (if they are maintained for the lifetime of the mortgage) will mean you save many thousands in interest payments I'd guess! Personally I'd do my best to get in under the 80% LTV mark if possible, but then again I'm a very risk-averse person :)

But even if you got an 81% mortage, you'll be under the 80% in a year or two, and then avail of the lower rates(or at least that's what the bank told me would happen when I asked).

So getting a percentage doesn't matter so much, just the less you borrow the better off you'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

djimi wrote: »

The bigger the deposit the smaller the mortgage. If you are in no rush to buy then keep on saving. Depending on where you are looking to buy, there is a chance that the houses will be cheaper again this time next year, so bigger deposit + smaller house price = smaller mortgage.
    Depends where your money is and what the mortgage rate is. Personally speaking considering mortgage rates are so low I would get a 92% mortgage and invest the rest of the money. Depends on your attitude to risk and how affordable the mortgage repayments are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

45k deposit for 220k house decent??or would I need more

You need about Three Fiddy :pac:

In serious thou yes its a decent deposit

• Advertisement
Advertisement