Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilko Johnson Diagnosed With Terminal Cancer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Total one off, no-one like him before or since.
    Some kind of hero.

CPL 593H

238053.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Just had Roxette by Dr Feelgood on a compilation of the Old Grey Whistle on BBC4 few minutes ago. Great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Incredibly, I've just realised that I don't possess any of his solo stuff, only Dr. Feelgood. Anyone know what's the best to go for, the original albums, or the new compilations that are out.

Are the versions on the compilations taken from the earlier albums, or re-recorded?

• Advertisement

Here's all his releases as well as the two 'Best Of' compilations
    Most of the tracks on the 'Best Of' are new recordings of the old songs.
    The two 'Best Of' are a good place to start but there are a few dud tracks in there and he's never as good on cd as he is live.
    • Ice on the Motorway (1981)
    • Pull the Cover (1984)
    • Watch Out! (Live In London) (1985)
    • Call It What You Want (1987)
    • Barbed Wire Blues (1988)
    • Going Back Home (1998)
    • Don't Let Your Daddy Know (Live in Japan 2000)
    • Red Hot Rocking Blues (2005)
    I have all these on mp3 Chelon, let me know if you want any.

CPL 593H

BBC Radio Suffolk interview with Wilko.
    Starts at around 2hrs 12mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013px5s

Classic bit of Wilko here.
    I don't think this song is on any of the albums and I've only heard him play it live once.

CPL 593H

Thanks a mill for offer - PM on way

Love this shot, it's like something from The Sweeney!

240080.jpg

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Wilko interview from BBC Radio 5 Live this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0154m6d

He was also on BBC Breakfast TV today.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »

240080.jpg

LOL! A right bunch of dodgy lookin' geezers. You're nicked!

That exhibit would never be upstaged. A Solid Sender, for sure. Go for it!

http://www.mixcloud.com/johnblaney1/a-howlin-wind-pub-rock-and-the-birth-of-new-wave-pt-9/

Well worth a listen. The Whammy is something else (13:32)!

Wilko explains his guitar technique (Jan 2013)
    The man is a f'king GENIUS!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

240080.jpg

Canvey Island's finest - "leave it aught John ... nice motor ... " seen Wilco a couple of times in the old boxing club in Drogheda ... pure manic genius ... he married an Irish girl apparently ... I wish him well ...

Another Wilko boxing club veteran?
    There's more of us left than I thought! :)

CPL 593H

60 minute Japanese concert from 1992 has appeared on youtube.
    I have this somewhere on VHS. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVg7hHfYUE

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

New BBC Radio 2 interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015x8xt

CPL 593H

This could have been a sad occasion but it wasn't, not for me at least. The venue was great, with fantastic lighting and sound, while not being too big. The atmosphere was electric and the place was, of course, packed to the rafters. One or two under-40's managed to sneak past the bouncers but it was otherwise an entirely middle (old?? :confused:) aged audience.

I couldn't help wondering beforehand whether Wilko's condition might be starting to take it's toll on his performances. That doubt was obliterated the moment his fabulous black & red Telecaster announced itself to the audience with a typical Wilko-driven Ker-Chaaaangg!!! Everyone roared with approval and we were off!

The set was classic Wilko, from start to finish, just as it should have been - Sneakin' Suspicion, Roxette, Barbed Wire Blues, Paradise, When I'm Gone, Don't Let Your Daddy Know and many more. That gripping, driving rhythm that characterises so many of Wilko's songs was as tight and crisp as ever. Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe were in top form too and, despite the focus on Wilko, weren't forgotten by the audience.

Standing still to Wilko's music is not something I'm normally physically capable of, though I needed to compromise somewhat last night because the floor was so thronged. That was no loss, however, as it was only right that as many as possible should be given the opportunity to see this legend one more time.

Alison Moyet made a guest appearance for his first encore and provided the vocals for Down By the Jetty and I Don't Mind. Wilko rounded the gig off with Bye Bye Johnny and we all waved our farewells to this peerless guitarist and showman.

Wilko lives for his music and has always loved playing to live audiences. He is prepared to travel considerable distances to play tiny venues (e.g. Leeson Lounge) and clearly isn't in it for the money. This is just what he does and He Does It Right!! It was great to see him one more time and be part of an audience that really wanted to show their appreciation for decades of first class performances.

Those who have yet to see Wilko on his farewell tour are in for a treat. He is in absolutely top form.

This sounds brilliant - I heard he was in top form is Sheffield also. Roll on Glasgow tomorrow night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loved this Glasgow review here:-

Wilko Johnson Plays a Blinder and Bids Farewell To Glasgow
    2013-03-10 22:05:02 | westy47

[View post text]
    [View post images]
    [Listen to post tracks]

Photo Review: Wilko Johnson at The O2 ABC, Glasgow

This was always going to be a difficult gig for me as I am a massive Wilko fan and the thought of photographing his last ever Glasgow show was quite overwhelming but also a privilege. Ever since Wilko announced last year he was suffering from inoperable pancreatic cancer and declining treatment his fans have been grabbing their last chance to see this iconic guitarist play with the result of every date on his farewell tour being sold out… Tonight was Glasgow’s chance to show there’s a reason why Glasgow’s audiences have the reputation of being the best in the world and also to pay homage to this great man and his art…

An early 6:30 kick off and the first act The 45’s take to the stage…a ridiculously young band of school lads from Carlisle sheepishly walk on stage and burst into a set of Rhythm and Blues covers and original material…they were in serious danger of stealing the show and even managing to blag Wilko’s famous telecaster when guitarist Tom Hamilton-Hughes breaks a string…. weird to hear an instrument getting a massive cheer.

Eight Rounds Rapid had the un-envious task of following these young lads and despite a great set they never quite managed to catch the audience’s attention and received a polite lukewarm reception…

Now looking around I could be cynical and moan about the number of photographers in the pit ….10 and their reasons for being there! At his last Glasgow show there was myself and one other…but we wont go there…

Then came the moment people were looking forward to and dreading in equal amounts Wilko and his band Norman Watt Roy on bass and Dylan Howe on drums take to the stage and bang play the best set you are ever likely to see…no talk about cancer, no tears in fact no mention at all the reason we are all there just a damn fine rock’n’roll show. All the favourites Back In The Night, Roxette, Dr Dupree, She Does It Right to name a few and every song greeted with rapturous applause. Johnson was on fire treating the audience to his famous manic duck walks and mock machine gun gestures, looking at this man its easy to forget he has only a matter of months to live as he gives the performance of a man half of his 65 years would be pushed to give. The band close the set with She Does It Right and Wilko leaves the stage for the first time… Now there are encores and there are encores!! but what followed can only be described as an ground shaking chant of Wilko Wilko and the great man and his band return to play Chuck Berry’s Bye Bye Johnny …Wilko style ...during which Wilko shows some signs of emotion when the audience start singing bye bye John back to him. A very poignant moment indeed.. Wilko, Norm and Dylan leave the stage and again the audience give another encore of Wilko Wilko…even louder than the first time….Wilko returns with his band once more, visibly touched by the emotion that was being shown to him he announces “One more…why not we’re here anyway”…. Glasgow gets one more and Wilko leaves the stage and announces “good night Glasgow…erm that’ll be good bye”…and left grown men in tears.

And before we know it…its over, Wilko we salute you.

I got there around 7.00 and the place was already pretty full, I couldn't get near the front so I settled for a spot centre stage about 10 bodies back.
    As it got close to showtime, the anticipation in the air was building and when the band walked onstage at 8.30 they got a fantastic reception.
    With the usual "good evening" from Wilko they were off, straight into 'Down By The Jetty'.
    I'd estimate the crowd at 1500-1800 and every manic strut or machine gun motion from Wilko was greeted with a massive roar of approval.
    Wilko and the band were playing out of their skins and fed off the crowd's energy.
    I've never seen them give a bad performance over the years but they seem to have raised the intensity of the show to another level for these last few gigs.
    Wilko was on fire, enjoying himself and giving his absolute all to every note and chord he played.
    Norman (the best bass player on the planet imo) was incredible as always, wrestling with his bass to squeeze out even more jaw dropping fret runs than usual.
    The songs just rolled by, 'Paradise', 'Roxette', 'The Western Plains', 'When I'm Gone', a wonderful riotous 'Woolly Bully' that we all sang along to.
    He finished off with some Feelgood classics and then returned for the finale of Chuck Berry's 'Bye Bye Johnny'
    So here he was, singing and waving 'bye bye' to us and we all sang and waved 'bye bye' back to him.
    The emotion that passed through the room for that song is something I'll never forget.
    He sang about "the train coming down the track, the same train that took his love away, coming now to take him, don't know when but he could hear the train in the distance."
    It was such a powerful moment but as he did a Chuck Berry duck walk and then played that famous black telecaster behind his head the mood in the room was one of absolute joy.
    As he said "Thank you, goodnight......and goodbye...." the crowd roared their appreciation long and hard.
    The chorus of 'Wilko, Wilko, Wilko' grew until the band reappeared for one final song.
    They finished off with '20 yards behind' and I did my best to sing along but it wasn't easy with the lump in my throat.
    After 30 odd years, it's so hard to accept that I'll never see this wonderful band again but this tour has been an absolute triumph.
    God bless ya Wilko!

CPL 593H

Great report furiousox. Wilko's decision to simply accept his fate and keep playing regardless really does seem to have been the right course of action, both for him and his fans. There's a real sense of everyone savouring these moments and enjoying them to the full.

The YouTube clips for the Glasgow gig show a lot of spirit among the crowd! It looks like it was a great occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I hate that $hit.they probably started printing them the day he was diagnosed.....:mad:

Totally awesome unique guitarist, saw them many moons ago , was it the Stadium...???

Advertisement