Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beardrash/acne

Options
  • 10-01-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have an issue with my skin, I keep getting spots in the same place on my cheek, usually due to hairs that become a little ingrown. I try change my razor before it gets blunt and dirty.
    This is beginning to affect my confidence.
    I feel that when this arises (every so often but it lasts for nearly two weeks) that my confidence in myself deteriorates and that my girlfriend will begin to find me unattractive and become distant.

In the summer months I'm fine as I get sun and that keeps it clear.

Im just at a loss, its not the fact I have it but more so the fact others can see it. These big red blotches on my face. Its becoming very irritating.

Does anyone else experience this, how have you combated it/concealed it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - if you want this moved to The Gentleman's Club just reply and one of the mods here can move this straight across for you.

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Taltos,

Yes that would be great. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

TBH you need to exfoliate! And please do not think this is a "girly" thing to do - it's not!

Buy exfolating gloves from boots, get a good cleanser and toner (get your missus to get them for you) and you should gently wash your face before and after shaving! My BF has the same problem and he is so unbelieveably macho it took me MONTHS to get him to try exfoliating and his skin is really soft and looks noticeably better!

Give it a go and do not be embarrassed! Might be better than going doc and getting creams :) PLEASE NOTE: with any new product you use on your face, do a patch test first! Just in case you have sensitive skin! :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sorry for jumping you around the place OP, but Facial Hair and Hats will give you the best advice here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

An alum block might help you out. You just wet it and rub it on your face after a shave. Leave it a few minutes and the rinse your face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I used to have the same problem some years back. What worked for me was to exfoliate (facial scrub and a face cloth), use a proper shaving cream/soap with a brush and use a single blade DE razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

Very important to use a good sharp razor, if you've sensitive skin (like mine) a dull razor won't cut all the hairs cleanly. Some of the uncut hairs then grow back under the skin becoming ingrown and then causing spots. Next day when you shave the spots things get worse etc. etc,
    Happens me regularly, I change the blade and the problem generally clears up.
    I've tried loads of different razors, the best is the Gillette pro fusion power (5 blades) and believe it or not a triple blade razor from Aldi
    The closer the shave the less problems i get. Oh yea, shave everyday too!.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

This ingrown hair problem is caused by the 'sharper' razor of these Gillette multi-blade disposables. The Gillette hysteresis effect - pulling up and out the hair with the front blade so that the one behind can cut it means that the hair retracts beneath the skin along with any bacteria it picks up. The hair then grows back below the skin causing irritation, and the bacteria causes inflammation and spots or razor bumps. The hair continues to grow beneath the skin until the infection forces the follicle to become so inflamed you have to dig the hair out with needle and tweezers.

The reason changing your multiblade more often fixes the problem is that the sharper new razor pulls less and therefore cuts on the surface of the skin and not below the surfaces quite as much. However the razors are designed to pull - changing them for every shave is a recipe for bankruptcy.

The reason an agressive exfoliation regime can work is that it reduces the level of bacteria on the skin prior to shaving. A more simple fix is to stop using multiblades altogether and switch to a straight or double edge traditional shave.

I have not had an ingrown since I switched and used to be plagued by them. I'd advise trying a traditional shave and would be confident this will fix your problem.

As for Gillette being the best a man can get - what bollox - if it is the best why do they keep changing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Great answer from Madsl. I changed about two years ago to a safety razor and found that my skin was significantly better not just due to the razor itself but the skin preparation aswell. I do still get the odd spot but this is more down to diet than anything.

I just wish that I had always shaved using a safety razor. In fact, I was using gillette razors for a long time and then started using an electric razor which was great aswell for giving me better skin but I wasn't being clean shaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've had this problem since I started shaving. I'd hoped DE shaving would solve it but unfortunately no, as soon as I shaved again within 3 days I got it bad again. So today, 2 days later, I swapped out the Derby blade for a Feather blade. A huge improvement, little to no rash afterwards.

• Advertisement

Some more tips is to change your blade more often which might help. Also change you shower before bed and change your pillow cases. I used to shower in the morning, have gel/wax in my hair which would be rubbing all over my face and therefore causing spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It seems totally related to shaving. If I shaved often I'd have breakouts. If I didn't shave, no issues. Thus the beard growing habit that my wife hated! :D

Though really, it was the razor burn that bothered me rather than the acne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

MadsL wrote: »
    This ingrown hair problem is caused by the 'sharper' razor of these Gillette multi-blade disposables. The Gillette hysteresis effect - pulling up and out the hair with the front blade so that the one behind can cut it means that the hair retracts beneath the skin along with any bacteria it picks up. The hair then grows back below the skin causing irritation, and the bacteria causes inflammation and spots or razor bumps. The hair continues to grow beneath the skin until the infection forces the follicle to become so inflamed you have to dig the hair out with needle and tweezers.

The reason changing your multiblade more often fixes the problem is that the sharper new razor pulls less and therefore cuts on the surface of the skin and not below the surfaces quite as much. However the razors are designed to pull - changing them for every shave is a recipe for bankruptcy.

The reason an agressive exfoliation regime can work is that it reduces the level of bacteria on the skin prior to shaving. A more simple fix is to stop using multiblades altogether and switch to a straight or double edge traditional shave.

I have not had an ingrown since I switched and used to be plagued by them. I'd advise trying a traditional shave and would be confident this will fix your problem.

As for Gillette being the best a man can get - what bollox - if it is the best why do they keep changing them?

I am also tortured with ingrown hairs and your advice sounds excellent.
    Would you recommend what to buy ad where so i can switch from Mach 3 blades. ?
    I get bad ingrown hairs, on one occasion i had to have minor surgery to remove one from the side of my face, not good.
    So any advice appreciated.

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I am also tortured with ingrown hairs and your advice sounds excellent.
    Would you recommend what to buy ad where so i can switch from Mach 3 blades. ?
    I get bad ingrown hairs, on one occasion i had to have minor surgery to remove one from the side of my face, not good.
    So any advice appreciated.

Which appeals more DE or straight razors?

Which appeals more DE or straight razors?

Hi
    Many thanks for the reply, the DE one seems to be more appealing , the other one i would be afraid i would slit my throat with:).
    But i guess once i got used to it, i wouldnt have a problem.

What would you recommend as best option to go for and where to source it and best price wise etc ?
    Definitely have to try make the switch over from Mach 3 as its becoming torture for me. .
    What else do i need to invest in along with the DE ? Good creams/soaps for lathering for shave ?

Thanks again and apologies for all the question.

Hi
    Many thanks for the reply, the DE one seems to be more appealing , the other one i would be afraid i would slit my throat with:).
    But i guess once i got used to it, i wouldnt have a problem.

People always say that, I'm yet to cut off any fingers with scissors. Trust me, you tend to be careful. I did nick myself yesterday being too casual taking off two weeks beard growth, but nothing dramatic.
    What would you recommend as best option to go for and where to source it and best price wise etc ?
    Definitely have to try make the switch over from Mach 3 as its becoming torture for me. .
    What else do i need to invest in along with the DE ? Good creams/soaps for lathering for shave ?

Shaving.ie and this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82492332#post82492332
    Thanks again and apologies for all the question.

Pleasure - ask away on this forum if you have questions. Watch this too.

People always say that, I'm yet to cut off any fingers with scissors. Trust me, you tend to be careful. I did nick myself yesterday being too casual taking off two weeks beard growth, but nothing dramatic.

Shaving.ie and this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82492332#post82492332

Pleasure - ask away on this forum if you have questions. Watch this too.

Great, thank you , will read through the thread.
    What one do you recomment me to buy ? I am clueless to these new types of razors, they seem very expensive ?

I see lots of stuff, but want to make sure i have all the right gear before i make a big purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The razors are a touch on the pricey side compared to the disposable cartridges but the DE razor should last your lifetime (not an exaggeration). The blades the razor takes are really cheap. You can get a years supply or more for about €15 depending on which blade you end up liking.

Here is my recommendation for a start for you.

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
    Blades: Premium Sampler
    Brush: Luxury Shaving Finest
    Soap/Cream: Proraso

I would maybe throw in a styptic pencil - they stop shaving cuts bleeding. An alum block would be pretty good too.

I am clueless to these new types of razors, they seem very expensive ?

One of these razor runs about the same as three packs of disposables, as hitemfrank says will last you a lifetime (and beyond) and has you shaving for cents a shave.

If you really want to spend just a tiny amount of money to get started, then:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weishi-Butterfly-Safety-Razor-Soap-Bowl-Brush-Blades-Wet-Shaving-Kit-/290851787896?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item43b81e1478

The Weishi razor is fine to start
    The brush is ok, will make a lather, will not be luxurious; but if you get into it buy a decent badger brush (€50 or so)
    The soap is great, I like Wilkinson Sword - nice barbershop medicated fragrance.
    The blades I would add to by getting a variety pack to find "your" blade.

Thank you very much to both of you Madsl and Litemfrank.

I really appreciate your pointers, help and advice, I will decide on my investment over the weekend.

I need to sort it and soon as the ingrown hairs are beyond a joke with pain and lumps at this stage.

• Advertisement

One of these razor runs about the same as three packs of disposables, as hitemfrank says will last you a lifetime (and beyond) and has you shaving for cents a shave.

If you really want to spend just a tiny amount of money to get started, then:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weishi-Butterfly-Safety-Razor-Soap-Bowl-Brush-Blades-Wet-Shaving-Kit-/290851787896?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item43b81e1478

The Weishi razor is fine to start
    The brush is ok, will make a lather, will not be luxurious; but if you get into it buy a decent badger brush (€50 or so)
    The soap is great, I like Wilkinson Sword - nice barbershop medicated fragrance.
    The blades I would add to by getting a variety pack to find "your" blade.

I am going to go ahead and buy this package for starters , some of the other items recommended are out of stock on shaving.ie
    The cost from this ebay seller is 14.99 GBP + 4 GBP for shipping to Ireland.
    Fair enough price for this package or anywhere else i can price it up ?

I will take your advice also and get a variety pack of blades .

Thanks again , very much appreciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I am going to go ahead and buy this package for starters , some of the other items recommended are out of stock on shaving.ie
    The cost from this ebay seller is 14.99 GBP + 4 GBP for shipping to Ireland.
    Fair enough price for this package or anywhere else i can price it up ?

I will take your advice also and get a variety pack of blades .

Thanks again , very much appreciated.:)

That kit will be functional. Pick up the variety pack of blades and I'd also recommend another soap or cream as that Wilkinson soap gets mixed reviews. Check your local supermarket for
    Palmolive shaving cream in a tube or Palmolive shaving soap in a stick.

That kit will be functional. Pick up the variety pack of blades and I'd also recommend another soap or cream as that Wilkinson soap gets mixed reviews. Check your local supermarket for
    Palmolive shaving cream in a tube or Palmolive shaving soap in a stick.

Great stuff, thanks for the reply.

Any starter kit or razor pack you would recommend for me ?

Will definitely be purchasing in the next couple of days to start the ball rolling.
    Visit to the doctor next week to see if he has any meds to help clear up my face a bit.
    Shaving is complete complete torture at the moment again,

On a seperate side note, can anyone recommend any decent cream or lotion to loosen up/reduce the swelling/large pocket of dead skin with a hair trapped inside.
    The 2 most recent ingrown hairs i have are severely trapped, no amount of pulling and dragging is moving them.. well buried beneath the surface now.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

[QUOTE=
    On a seperate side note, can anyone recommend any decent cream or lotion to loosen up/reduce the swelling/large pocket of dead skin with a hair trapped inside.
    The 2 most recent ingrown hairs i have are severely trapped, no amount of pulling and dragging is moving them.. well buried beneath the surface now.[/QUOTE]

This to reduce and prevent: http://www.4men.ie/p/6/tend-skin-solution-118ml-treatment-for-rash-razor-bumps

These to get the buggers out now. You need made-so-they-actually-grip-properly tweezers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tweezerman-Classic-Stainless-Steel-Tweezer/dp/B000WI1VN0/ref=pd_sim_beauty_3

nephster wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, might invest in some of that lotion you recommend.
    Not sure if the tweezers are of use at the moment, i have a serious layer of skin which has grown over the trapped hair..cant see how i am going to get the tweezers through the thick lump of dead skin.

Thanks for the reply, might invest in some of that lotion you recommend.
    Not sure if the tweezers are of use at the moment, i have a serious layer of skin which has grown over the trapped hair..cant see how i am going to get the tweezers through the thick lump of dead skin.

Alcohol (real medical stuff not whiskey)
    Needle
    Dip needle in alcohol
    Apply alcohol to face
    Dig
    Tweeze hair out
    Apply alcohol to face

Ok folks, based on your recommendations and advice, i took the plunge today and gave the credit card a bashing, lets hope it pays off.

Ordered the following off shaving..ie , i added in a few extra creams and soaps to try out also.

All ok with my choice below ? Anymore tips for me ?:)

1 x Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream
    1 x Proraso Shaving Cream
    1 x Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap
    1 x Semogue 1520 Shaving Brush
    1 x Edwin Jagger DE89L
    1 x 50 Blade Premium Selection Sampler
    1 x Alum Block Natural Stone
    1 x Styptic Stick Per Barba

P.s this might be a stupid question... medical alcohol, can you buy that in a chemist off the shelf or do you have to ask the pharmacist for it ?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

You can get isopropyl alcohol off the shelf; generally you are better off going to a independent chemist rather than Boots etc.
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61520115&postcount=15
    I use it for cleaning electronics e.g., getting thermal compound off CPUs, cleaning touchscreens, that sort of thing as well as medicinal stuff :)

Hi again

Ok 1 week now into my new DE razor and blades ( have shaved about 4 times with my new supplies)

Been using the pack of blades which came with the DE razor.
    I am lathering up with the proraso sensitive soap , getting up a good lather, but the strokes dont seem as easy as the youtube video showed.
    I am finding myself having to go back over and over the areas of my face to get a full clean shave. I am shaving every second day.

Am i doing something wrong ? I have the sample pack of blades to try out, not sure which one to try next.
    Is there significance difference in the brand of blades ? So i could stumble across certain blade which will make the shave a lot more easier and less shaving , gliding through the 2 day stubble ?
    I hope I am making sense and thanks again for the help
    I am enjoying the new shaving method so far, hoping it does make a good difference, certainly so far, my skin feels a bit better.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you don't have the angle of the blade right. 30 degrees is what is recommended but that shouldn't be for everyone and for different areas of the face it will be different. The strokes should be as easy as the videos. I used to shave once a week with the safety razor and I had heavy growth and it glided through.

So I would recommend, starting off at the 30 degrees and then if that drags, just lower the blade angle a bit and see if that helps. Just be careful and don't put any pressure on it, let the razor do the work. Be careful about going over spots a few times as this can cause a rash. Always make sure you are going over a spot when you have it lathered properly.

Also make sure you are shaving after a shower to soften the beard, this helps.

You are only on your 4th shave so it should get easier. Don't give up. But yeah if its pulling most likely you have too much pressure or the angle is wrong.

Advertisement