Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottage in Stoneybatter and Donore Ave

Options
  • 10-01-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to look for my first property to buy, my limit is 100,000 max, and I noticed two cottages - one in Stoneybatter, and another off Donore Avenue, in Harman Street. It'd be nice to have the extra space that a cottage would allow, instead of an apartment, but I wanted to check if anyone knows whether those areas are safe/dodgy? I've lived on the lower part of Cork Street for the past year and have had no problems there, but have been told by a friend that further up (towards Donore Avenue) is not great.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

thesiren wrote: »
    ... It'd be nice to have the extra space that a cottage would allow, instead of an apartment, ...
    Most of these densely-packed artisan terraced cottages around Dublin are very small and have similar characteristics as an own-door apartment with the same number of bedrooms - square footage, front door opening straight into the living room or a tiny hall, small rooms, a small courtyard for a back garden no bigger than many apt balconies. In terms of lifestyle, it is very similar to living in an apartment.

They do have the advantage over an apartment in that you are not going to be hamstrung by a dysfunctional management company, no annual fees and more freedom to decorate and renovate to your taste/budget.

At this stage, these properties have nearly always had some sort of extension build into the limited rear garden space and may also have had the original interior totally redesigned. It is the age, size, quality and design of this work that largely determines the current value. Well done ones can be absolute gems but they are, imho, the minority and they will cost a little more too.

I could see myself in a slightly larger version alright. An ideal scenario for me might be if two small adjacent properties came on the market at the same time! (Not sure if you can get planning permission to convert two homes into one. Anybody?). But I digress.

As to the specific area you are looking at, I've been told Stonebatter is grand but that's only second-hand information. I don't know it well myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Having lived in both areas, I would say go for Stoneybatter. There are some lovely properties around Donore Avenue, but they're scattered across some rough areas. There's a lot more life around Stoneybatter.

That said, Donore Avenue is supposed to be "up and coming", so make of that what you will. Personally I'd lean towards Stoneybatter, it's a much easier area to call home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I lived off Donore avenue for a couple of years and depending exactly where the cottage is it (where it is in proximity to Teresa's Gardens to be exact) can be *very* dodgy. Have a look at how cheap the cottages on maxwell street & darleys terrace are because they back onto the gardens (I've viewed houses to rent on maxwell st that had bars above the back yard area, so it was like a little cage, because burglars walk along the walls between the houses). I quite like the area, so close to town, great buses, luas, lidl practically in your house & I'd rent there again but I'd be loathe to buy there. Having waffled all that Harmon St could be fine, I can't recall being there. I'd go walk around if I were you (day & evening) to get a feel for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

put bars on windows

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

Thanks everyone. Just a brief reply as I'm due to go into a work meeting! The cottage on Donore Avenue is pretty much directly across from St Teresa's Gardens. I've heard very bad things about that area myself so I'm guessing it's definitely somewhere to avoid.

I think I'll view the Stoneybatter cottage - it is a bit further out from everything than I'd like, but I haven't heard any horror stories about the area.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, just saw this - http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=681160

Don't know anything about the area, but for a mile or 2 further out you'd be getting 2 bedrooms, garden , driveway space etc and it looks reasonably modern while keeping the cottage feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

thesiren wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Just a brief reply as I'm due to go into a work meeting! The cottage on Donore Avenue is pretty much directly across from St Teresa's Gardens. I've heard very bad things about that area myself so I'm guessing it's definitely somewhere to avoid.

I think I'll view the Stoneybatter cottage - it is a bit further out from everything than I'd like, but I haven't heard any horror stories about the area.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Aren't Teresas Gardens being emptied? I lived around there years ago, and didn't feel safe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Donore avenue is an almighty Kip.

Stoneybatter is up and coming and could be a smart buy but you will still have a high skanger factor to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Donore avenue is an almighty Kip.

Stoneybatter is up and coming and could be a smart buy but you will still have a high skanger factor to deal with.

Dont touch Donore with a barge pole.
    Stoneybatter is an old Dublin district. There are of course a few problems but nothing like Donore Ave. There a re a few nice pubs, convenient to Luas, Smithfield etc The development of the DIT campus in Grangegorman will be a big boost to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Aren't Teresas Gardens being emptied? I lived around there years ago, and didn't feel safe tbh.

The plan when I lived there was that they were being redeveloped, don't think there's cash there for that anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

OP: I live in the direct vicinity of Donore Ave. and can actually tell you a few things about the area unlike some of the people posting here who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

The streets directly opposite or around Theresa's Gardens are dodge. That includes the part of Donore Ave. between Theresa's Gardens and Cork St., Brown Street and the first half of Ebenezer Terrace, Hamilton St. is mixed. So, if I were in your shoes, I would think twice about Harman Street.

BUT, the rest of the area is a great place to live. In fact, the latest map on deprivation in the state, based on CSO 2011 figures show all areas other than Theresa's Gardens to be 'Maginally above average' and 'Affluent' - by this, I mean there are some areas in need of regeneration, and this was supposed to happen before the crash.

This part of Dublin is very localised. One street literally makes all the difference. You'd find that some streets, particularly the red-bricks have their centre of gravity towards the South Circular Road; the Tenters stand alone from all around; others orient towards Cork Street. But from Rutledge Terrace towards the South Circular Road, Donore Avenue is fine; Merton Avenue, Donore Road, O'Donovan Road, O'Curry Road, Dufferin Avenue, all the way towards Clanbrassil St. (i.e. 'The Tenters', Warrenmount and the 'Blackpitts') are very nice places to live.

In terms of lifestyle, you can walk into town in 25 minutes, Fallon's is a good local, the Fumbally and Noshington are two excellent local cafés, many local shops/convenience stores, the Lidl is close by, it's quiet and there's a strong sense of community. As someone who now owns in the area, but rented previously, I would also say there's excellent value to be had in this part of Dublin 8 right now.

I can't comment Stoneybatter as I've only visited there to meet friends, eat out, go to gigs, etc.

Advertisement