Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pet Insurance Thread *See Mod note Post #1*

• 10-01-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Mod Note:
    Hi all,
    I am merging the recent pet insurance threads together into one, because they're appearing almost daily at this stage.
    I'd appreciate if anyone has a query about pet insurance, that they keep it to this thread.
    Any other threads appearing which relate to pet insurance will be merged with this one in any case.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Hi everybody,
    I know that there are a lot of topics, but my question is "specific" and easy :P

The insurance cover serious problems?

I mean, yesterday I went to the vet because the puppy was not eating, he found the dog fine and just gave injection and specific food and I should go back if he doesn't recover.

That's an example..
    In that case could I have the money back from the insurance?

Or only for surgery and major problems?

(I suppose no for the annual vaccinations?)

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on the insurance and the excess but in general the insurance would be for more serious/expensive stuff while the "day to day" is covered by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

The policy covers nearly everything apart from routine stuff like Vaccinations & worming. It also doesnt cover anything to do with breeding.

So if your cost was over the excess, then yes, definitely claim back what you can. But sometimes for visits like your one, the excess is more than what the visit cost you so you wouldnt be due anything back.

So, for example, if your visit yest cost 130euro and your excess is 100, you are entitled to 30 euro back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tiana000

I have two cats, one is a male aged 5 and the other is older, a female aged 12. They are domestic non pedigree house cats. Any reccommendations for insurance that is worthwhile? And would you reccommend insuring a cat who is 12 or will it just cost too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

But there are no insurances for "damages"?
    I mean in italy we insure dogs not for the health care (even if it's expensive, sigh), but if they could one day create problems (example biting someone or so on). Especially for big dogs..

Eilsy wrote: »
    I have two cats, one is a male aged 5 and the other is older, a female aged 12. They are domestic non pedigree house cats. Any reccommendations for insurance that is worthwhile? And would you reccommend insuring a cat who is 12 or will it just cost too much?

I dont think a company will insure the cat as its too old and over the age bracket that they inbsure from.

• Advertisement

jsabina wrote: »
    I mean in italy we insure dogs not for the health care (even if it's expensive, sigh), but if they could one day create problems (example biting someone or so on). Especially for big dogs..

There is cover for third party on most policies. Have a look online at the terms and it will tell you whats covered.

See link below on their policy:
    http://petinsure.ie/index.php/plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

andreac wrote: »
    There is cover for third party on most policies. Have a look online at the terms and it will tell you whats covered.

See link below on their policy:
    http://petinsure.ie/index.php/plans

Ah ok is the 3d party thing?
    I was only seeing health expenses / holidays...

thanks!!!

Yep, thats it :-)

Thanks Andreac, that's what Allianz said alright, that the 12 year old too old. I'll probably insure the 5 year old. Still unsure if its worth it as teeth cleaning and vaccinations and any more infections due to being neutured (pre-existing) will be paid for by me. Think I'll ask for vouchers for my vets for my next birthday :D!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jsabina wrote: »

Mind - there are now different levels of policies available with different insurers ; Allianz - who I am with - now have at least three different policy types with different levels of coverage where different aspects are included or left out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Eilsy wrote: »
    Still unsure if its worth it as teeth cleaning and vaccinations and any more infections due to being neutured (pre-existing) will be paid for by me.

But even a simple night in the vets can cost a packet. My cat had 2 nights in the vets for a drip, bloods, scans and monitoring. Came to around €350. My excess is €75. It will be my first claim with Tesco insurance so I am hoping there won't be any issues.

To be honest, you are looking at the logic of it all wrong. You insure your car right? and it doesn't cover you for costs of servicing the car, replacing tires or other consumables, or washing it. So I see teeth cleaning, vaccinations and day-to-day animal minding as the same thing. The insurance is for the 'emergncy' or 'unexpected' items. These things can cost hundreds and even thousands. And it is an awful situation to be in when you literally cannot afford to give a much loved pet the operation/treatment that might just save its life.

Personally, for the sake of €75 per year I am more than happy to pay for insurance. Particularly as pets get older. In our family we have had pets needing knee replacements (x2), eyes removed (x3), hysterectomies (x1), operation following an accident (x1), cancer medications (x1) (not all the one pet mind! this is over a space of 20 years and 5 dogs, 2 cats, 1 rabbit). None of which were cheap. PEt insurance was a new thing 20 years ago and we weren't covered for all of the above procedures. Since having to pay €800 for a knee replacement and follow up treatment, we have since insured ALL our pets from the day we got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Why are Dobermans on the list of non insure dogs over here there purely bred as show dogs and I'v not heard of a Doberman attack here yet or does anyone know of a case? I think the dog should be entitled to be assessed by a behaviorist before been insured and not just run off a list of breeds every dog is different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Why are Dobermans on the list of non insure dogs over here there purely bred as show dogs and I'v not heard of a Doberman attack here yet or does anyone know of a case? I think the dog should be entitled to be assessed by a behaviorist before been insured and not just run off a list of breeds every dog is different
    Maybe they are non insure due to high chance of serious hereditry problems ?? Im not sure the reason why , this is a guess.

I had a black and tan Doberman and he was really sensitive to everything and was in the vets alot but Nash is the opposite and you have to declare that the dog has no none health problems before the policy starts, Tesco keeps coming up as there on the none insure breeds along with pit bulls and so on. Its frustrating really its like saying you live here so your more trouble than people in this area should be each to there own really. Gonna keep lookin online and see what else I find

Are you saying they wont cover Dobermanns?? I have rottweilers and they insure mine, thats with petinsure.ie.

andreac wrote: »
    Are you saying they wont cover Dobermanns?? I have rottweilers and they insure mine, thats with petinsure.ie.

Well Tesco wont found two places since that will rotties didnt show up on the list for none insure breeds. But was shocked to see Rhodesian Ridgebacks on there as there new enough here in Ireland cant believe there on the list already seeing as Malanois aint

Rhodesians are on the restricted breeds list in Ireland so prob why they are listed with the insurance companies.

I'd personally be more afraid of Malanois after seeing what my fella could do there indestructible and TOO clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'd personally be more afraid of Malanois after seeing what my fella could do there indestructible and TOO clever
    Always liked that breed, just out of interest would they make a good running partner in your opinion ?

I currently run with my collie but shes getting older and needs to take it easy in the summer due to her thick black coat.

Always liked that breed, just out of interest would they make a good running partner in your opinion ?

I currently run with my collie but shes getting older and needs to take it easy in the summer due to her thick black coat.

I can safely say they dont tire at all they never switch off so as well as been a running partner for you they also watch everything thats going on and will let you know if they dont like something so there'e safety in them too. I had a tea light go up in flames didnt notice as it was in the window in the oil burner and he coped it straight away and went over to it barking. I recommend for owners that are active as these are too and they love having a job (running would be suitable and looking after your safety) Plus you can get them trained to any requirement you like in terms of protection and so on you dont have to have the most intense training done but do give them something to do.

• Advertisement

Thanks Little Ted,

75 sounds like a great price, it would be around 150 that I've been quoted. I know that veterinary care can cost a lot - had a cat who passed away last year and we went to the ends of the earth and spent hundreds to get her diagnosed, kept on overnight stays and treated -(and a dog before her who required emergency surgery). I suppose I was reluctant about insurance incase they dont pay out for these emergencies or conditions that develop suddenly or after applying for insurance. Would you reccommend Tesco pet insurance?

Well I have only just put in a claim this week, so my answer will depend on the outcome! It's underwritten by RSA so it should be ok. I'll let you know once I have had the claim completed (and hopefully paid out!). My insurance actually only cost €57 actually - I just realised when I was completing the claim, I thought it was more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

My dog was pretty hard to get insured here but eventually petinsure done it for a pretty good price.

Now when it comes to claiming, the first €90 is my own and anything after is covered. Also theft is covered, accidental death. Kennelling and shots and all the normal stuff is not covered. He is not insured for 3 party claims though.

For €14 euro a month, I still think it's a pretty good deal. I've found out the hard way of not having a dog insured and the vet bills that can run up. :(

Little Ted wrote: »
    Well I have only just put in a claim this week, so my answer will depend on the outcome! It's underwritten by RSA so it should be ok. I'll let you know once I have had the claim completed (and hopefully paid out!). My insurance actually only cost €57 actually - I just realised when I was completing the claim, I thought it was more.

Just an update as promised. My claim with Tesco insurance (who are underwritten by RSA) was sent off my my vet on the 16th Jan. I recevied my cheque last Friday 24th Jan. No quibbles. Excess was €45, so I received the other €305 back from RSA. Very pleased with that...and relieved the first month in the year! Hooray! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Both of our cats are insured with Allianz and I'd never be without pet insurance again. We were adopted a few years ago by a stray cat that arrived in our garden with a polyp in his ear. It cost a small fortune to get him sorted and after that we had him insured. It was a pre-existing condition so he isn't covered for that but he's had a few other things happen since then and its great peace of mind knowing that he's covered.

My big worry was always things like if either of my 2 developed chronic illnesses or needed expensive treatment. Its good to know that we're covered.

thanks guys. In the end I went with Allianz, just sent off the clinical history so waiting to hear back from Allianz again. Good to have all the price comparing and investigating over with :)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I know this is done before but specifically I want to make a decision in relation to the above.

I have my dog insured on a Petinsure Premier Plus policy - went for it because of the lifetime cover but its €159 versus a similar plan with Tesco (not the value product) for €142.

Would you move to Tesco? I have no problem with the insurer, its RSA in Galway so all claims dealt with here.

My dog is just over a year old. Has the occassional dicky tummy. Do i really even need the life time cover? What could come along that would take over a year to clear or use the max benefit? She's a mongrel (lab crossed with springer/setter and god knows what else).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

I have my lab insured witg Tesco. Seems to be a good policy but i havent had to use it so far (touch wood!). I read through all the T&C and seems to be grand! The only problem I had with Tesco is that when I went to sign up online for a discount, the expiry dates on the drop down menu for credit cards didnt go as far as 2017 (as my card is) so had to call to do it and wouldnt give me the discount. Thought that was a bit rich......

Just remember and i say this to everyone who is enquiring about insurance, that if you change companies, you will NOT be covered for anything the dog has already suffered with before, with the new company as its seen as a pre-exisiting condition.

So if you dog regularly has stomach problems, this will not be covered on your new policy with a different company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The dog hasn't hasnt had anything diagnosed. She's just overly sensitive to eating different things than normal. That's what the vet said last time we asked. Havent had anything reported to insurers.

Advertisement