Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam texts.

• 10-01-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up to anyone with kids (or even to adults:))

There is a scam text doing the rounds that promises the recipient a free gift from Apple if they log into an Apple.ie site and enter a code.

+14843653885 is the sending number being used for the scam.

The same text did the rounds in the UK early last year with a .co.uk email link, so the current one with the .ie link is justan updated version of the same scam.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

My wife got this text on Monday morning , she was hoping it was a scam because she knew I wouldn't allow an apple product into the house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

So what is the scam? Receiving a text won't cost me and accessing a site on the internet has no additional cost either AFAIK.

How do the scammers profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

I got 2 of them during the week.. just delete them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Mongarra wrote: »
    So what is the scam? Receiving a text won't cost me and accessing a site on the internet has no additional cost either AFAIK.

How do the scammers profit?

premium SMS maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

They provide a link in the text. You click the link and you get a great prize... more than likely of a virus and a case of identity theft. Nothing to do with the actual text they just want you to click the link included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I don't use internet on my mobile so would not have considered using it to access page. It would be on my PC only and that probably wouldn't cost premium rates. Thanks for the explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got it yesterday, but deleted it. The link is something like:
    http://www.apple.ie.vx1.net?id=123456

(or something like that). They hope that people won't read the bit after www.apple.ie and click the link from their smartphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You have been selected for a free gift from Apple! Visit http://apple.ie.vx5.cc/?p=011353863480350 now to see what you have won! Enter 8847 to claim.

Received this last night from a US number. I say the only thing I won was a whole heap of trouble, so I didn't bother finding out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement