Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit

Options
  • 10-01-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey! just another question in relation to the security deposit, my two roommates and i recently moved flat and recieved a bill today with a 300 euro deposit on it. If we set up a direct debit do we still have to pay this? it says on your website the deposit is refunded in 12 months, however we are only staying in our apartment until May, if we were to pay it would we get it back then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Kev,

Have either of you ever had an Electric Ireland account already?

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kev.walsh

I'm not sure, we were with electric Ireland in our last apartment but I presumed the account was in the Landlords name. The bills were addressed to me but the bill for the new apartment is for my flatmate.

Hi again Kev,

A security deposit is refunded after 14 months of bills paid on time, and it can span more than one address - i.e. if the account is moved to another address, that is all included in the 14-month time-frame (the name on the account has to be the same one all the time though).

If a customer closes an account however, the deposit is refunded whenever they close the account - even if it is after a shorter period of time than 14 months.

Yes it is correct that setting up direct debit eliminates the requirement to pay the €300 security deposit. If a customer is concerned about having the funds in their bank account by the time the direct debit is due, there is the option to make pre-payments electronically (online banking or by debit card on our website) whenever possible throughout the two-month period between bills, which will reduce the bill total. It is important that a window of six working days be allowed between the final pre-payment and the bill due date, in order to prevent payment not going through on time to over-ride the direct debit.

Customers who avail of direct debit are also entitled to a 4% discount off their units used, and there is a 2% discount for online billing.

If you require any further assistance, do let me know. In relation to the account itself, I am unable to discuss it with you by private message as you say you are not the named account-holder, but our customer service telephone line is open between 8am and 8pm Monday to Saturday (closed Sundays) and is locall 1850 372 372 if your flatmate wants to give a call. Alternatively they can send an email to service@electricireland.ie - they will receive a response within three working days.

I am finishing up now and return tomorrow at 8am if you wish to put any further queries to me.

All the best :)
    Una

Hi again Kev,

A security deposit is refunded after 14 months of bills paid on time, and it can span more than one address - i.e. if the account is moved to another address, that is all included in the 14-month time-frame (the name on the account has to be the same one all the time though).

If a customer closes an account however, the deposit is refunded whenever they close the account - even if it is after a shorter period of time than 14 months.

Yes it is correct that setting up direct debit eliminates the requirement to pay the €300 security deposit. If a customer is concerned about having the funds in their bank account by the time the direct debit is due, there is the option to make pre-payments electronically (online banking or by debit card on our website) whenever possible throughout the two-month period between bills, which will reduce the bill total. It is important that a window of six working days be allowed between the final pre-payment and the bill due date, in order to prevent payment not going through on time to over-ride the direct debit.

Customers who avail of direct debit are also entitled to a 4% discount off their units used, and there is a 2% discount for online billing.

If you require any further assistance, do let me know. In relation to the account itself, I am unable to discuss it with you by private message as you say you are not the named account-holder, but our customer service telephone line is open between 8am and 8pm Monday to Saturday (closed Sundays) and is locall 1850 372 372 if your flatmate wants to give a call. Alternatively they can send an email to service@electricireland.ie - they will receive a response within three working days.

I am finishing up now and return tomorrow at 8am if you wish to put any further queries to me.

All the best
    Una
    That's great, we will go with the direct debit so. So the bill came for 357 so should we just set up the direct debit and pay the 57 and that will be alright?

Hi again Kev,

What date is the bill due to be paid?

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi again Kev,

What date is the bill due to be paid?

Regards,
    Una
    The 23rd of January

If the account-holder contacts Electric Ireland today to have the direct debit details added, that will be plenty of time for the security deposit charge to be reversed and only €57 payment being required.

Regards,
    Una

Great, we sorted that out there. Thanks for your help!

No problem at all Kev - happy to!

Advertisement