Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which side of the boiler does the circulating pump go?

• 10-01-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

My DIY book tells me to place the circulating pump after the boiler so it pushes hot to the rads. My boss who is usually knowledgeable on these things says it it should go before the boiler pushing the returning cold water into the boiler. Which is collect?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

98-00 wrote: »
    My DIY book tells me to place the circulating pump after the boiler so it pushes hot to the rads. My boss who is usually knowledgeable on these things says it it should go before the boiler pushing the returning cold water into the boiler. Which is collect?

What Boiler ??

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

What Boiler ??

A solid fuel stove with back boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

It all depends on the way it is plumbed and if there is an oil burner aswell.

I'm afraid if you need to ask you shouldnt be touching it in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

It's not safe to run an oil boiler on the same system as a back boiler, so no there is no oil burner.
    If questions are not asked, how is anyone to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Well maybe you should ask how to plumb the oil and solid together because its done every day with the correct fittings.

I wonder why you think it isn't safe
    Maybe it's the same reason you don't know we're the pump goes most pumps on solid fuel only would be after the thermostat. But plumbers have there own way and theory.

It's not safe to run an oil boiler on the same system as a back boiler, so no there is no oil burner.

You go to Collage, you do the coarses, then you'd not only know the flow and return on a stove but as the man above points out, how to combine it with oil without killing yourself and neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

A solid fuel stove with back boiler.

Solid fuel boilers are not a DIY job solid fuel boilers are dangerous if not done correctly, and every installation is different in its own way. There seems to be an opinion in Ireland that you can just throw in a solid fuel boiler away you go.
    There are plumbers that wont go near solid fuel boilers because they are not as straight forward as and far more dangerous than gas or oil boilers if not done properly.

From the questions you are asking please please do not try to install a soild fuel boiler, there is a lot more to them than just joining a few pipes. They can be far more dangerous than people realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, please take heed of the above posts.
    I've seen the result of a badly installed boiler exploding and causing thousands of euro of damage.
    Luckily the only occupant of the house had gone to the shop minutes beforehand.
    The boiler was plumbed by a relative of the owner(first year apprentice plumber).

When serving your apprenticeship, you learn why, as well as how, to do a job.
    Thats the difference between qualified tradesmen and us diy'ers.

Advertisement