Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud storage ~ 150GB

Options
  • 10-01-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Mods sorry if this in the wrong place. If better suited elsewhere, please move!

Can anyone recommend a provider for cloud storage in the region of 150GB? I would need to be doing daily backups via FTP

Basically, looking for the cheapest option!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Thought about getting your own NAS server?

They're relatively cheap now (< €200 should get you one expandable up to 12TB), and if you don't need it anymore you can always sell it on....

Possibly not the cheapest option, but worth considering...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭OU812

Amazon glacier do cloud for 1c per gb per month (huge retrevial costs though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'd be better off getting your own VPS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

OU812 wrote: »
    Amazon glacier do cloud for 1c per gb per month (huge retrevial costs though)

That's primarily for archiving to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Mods sorry if this in the wrong place. If better suited elsewhere, please move!

Can anyone recommend a provider for cloud storage in the region of 150GB? I would need to be doing daily backups via FTP

Basically, looking for the cheapest option!

I know you are asking about Cloud storage but if you decide to go down teh road of NAS, this is pretty cheap and can fit two 3tb and can be updated via FTP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-ShareCenter-Network-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B004AIWOXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357836828&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'd be better off getting your own VPS

Sorry to hijack thread.

Can you recommend some good & reasonable VPS hosts?
    Would be looking to do something similar to OP - daily offsite backups of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Folks,
    Yes I will be using an NAS, but also need off-site backup

It turns out that I only need about 50GB (currently using 25GB), not the 150 I originally anticipated

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

For 50G you will need something that can offer incremental backups (unless the 50G will be of new content each day). I'd say your best bet is to google for some kind of comparison article. I found them very helpful when looking for cloud compute services (iaas type thing).

edit: There was an article on here recently which allowed you to store X amount in the cloud if you were willing to offer X+20% (or similar) for internet connected storage for others. Seemed like a good way to achieve a reasonable amount of off site storage for non-business users.

Further editing: I just had a quick google and "livedrive" looks worth a look at least.

even further editing: It looks very reasonable indeed. Less than a fiver a month for unlimited storage from one computer. About 8 euro a month for 2TB from unlimited devices. If I had better upload speed I'd consider it myself tbh.

Prices here.

Advertisement