Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reg Plates robbed from car

Options
  • 10-01-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Reg plates stolen from car parked outside in Dublin 15 area last week anyone else have similar experience ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Same thing happened to a friend of mine parked just off Auburn Avenue in Castleknock 2 or 3 months ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Heard about this in another thread and someone said they use them for a few days dodging toll charges then get more off another car.

Sounds a bit mad but never know, seen a skanger put a traffic cone through the back window of a car in the city center to get a pack of smokes on the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Happened us a few Years ago, but not in Dublin.
    Report it to the Gardai,just incase they are used for anything illegal at least you will be covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

for making stolen cars appear legit. there guys probably stole an identical car to yours and plan to use it in a robbery/gang shooting/trip to beach etc

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Or for petrol station drive offs. Either way, report it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

They also use them for drive off's in filling stations.
    Had the number plate stolen off my caravan in a service area in france a few years ago while stopped for a coffee. Was informed that this would then be used by someone to get fuel without paying and because it was foreign, the retailer might not bother following it up. Have not heard anything since, but then dont have that vehicle any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Had someone copy my reg years ago, got a plate made up and put them on a make the same as mine and done an armed robbery.

The reg was taken by the staff so I got the visit from the branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

similar thing happened to me although my plates werent taken,for about a 2-3 month period last year i got approx 15-20 e-flow letters 2 speeding fines and 2 parking tickets which I disregarded and threw out as they were not mine(in my name and addressed to me though) which then ended up becoming much bigger fines/court summonses/solicitors letters,local garda were informed but not much done after that so i just used any further letters i got as fire lighters ;-),turned out someone driving an identical car to mine cloned my reg and replaced his reg with mine,I was also refused diesel in a local filling station as I allegedly drove off from that garage on numerous occasions without paying.the fat W*%ker who did it got busted at a garda checkpoint though I found out after an on the ball garda noticed the reg number on his discs didnt match the reg on the car.So now all the fines were re routed to his address and there his problem now.happy ending:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Hope they wern't 131 reg, that would be.. unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Hope they wern't 131 reg, that would be.. unlucky
    I wish ;) they were 04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I once had all my tax, NCT and insurance discs nicked from my windscreen. We have off street parking and security shutters so we don't always lock the car. Well we usen't to...:)

Reported it immediately and was driving around for a week or so with a completely clear windscreen until the replacements arrived. Had a photocopy of insurance and NCT certs in glove compartment. Was only stopped once. Cop saw the funny side of it.

Anybody else experience that? The cops were mystified by it. I don't know whether there was a serious criminal purpose or just some snotty teenage neighbour being smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Mates foreign plates were robbed recently and the petrol station scam seems like a likely reason

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cocobear

Gee_G wrote: »
    Happened us a few Years ago, but not in Dublin.
    Report it to the Gardai,just incase they are used for anything illegal at least you will be covered!

Very good advice, I would do this ASAP

one of our license plates disappeared in Dublin 15 over the Christmas. We thought it fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I once had all my tax, NCT and insurance discs nicked from my windscreen. We have off street parking and security shutters so we don't always lock the car. Well we usen't to...:)

Reported it immediately and was driving around for a week or so with a completely clear windscreen until the replacements arrived. Had a photocopy of insurance and NCT certs in glove compartment. Was only stopped once. Cop saw the funny side of it.

Anybody else experience that? The cops were mystified by it. I don't know whether there was a serious criminal purpose or just some snotty teenage neighbour being smart.

11 cars broken into in one area of Letterkenny a couple of days ago. Insurance, Tax and NCT Discs as well as driver’s licence and other personal documents stolen. Probably going to be used for identity theft.

Advertisement