Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest Red C Poll Results

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

sure joe wrote: »
    as quickly as possible with what exactly

Legislation over the x case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭sure joe

Nodin wrote: »
    Legislation over the x case.....
    which was forced on them by the media an the pro choice lobby, by taking advantage of the death of a poor unfortunate woman and yet another broken election promise by f.g

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

which was forced on them by the media an the pro choice lobby, by taking advantage of the death of a poor unfortunate woman and yet another broken election promise by f.g

No, it was on the cards already. It just sped up as a result of the death of that poor young lady. What exactly is the promise being broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not surprised in the least about that.

Somehow it's now unfair to say that the people don't want the two biggest parties (according to this poll) in coalition but they did want exactly just two years ago.

The conclusion is that the favoured government could be FG & FF is not without merit. That does not change the fact that from a practical & political pov it is not a unrealistic government, in the same way as they (according to this poll) see the willingly financially deluded SF as a better option than a labour party that were stupid enough to promise the financially impossible at the last election (no cuts to SW).

Anto and halleluja , just a FYI

Some real data has emerged ( rather than speculative calculation)

support for a FF/FG coalition is very low at 7% of those surveyed

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/coalition-will-struggle-to-hold-seats-says-poll-3350362.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nodin wrote: »
    FG were in for three, Labour five if memory serves. My own feeling on the matter is that they'd act in similar "kick it into touch" fashion to FF were it not for recent well publicised events.
    Yeah its quite possible that they would.

The most important thing however, is that they are doing it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sully wrote: »
    No, it was on the cards already. It just sped up as a result of the death of that poor young lady. What exactly is the promise being broken?

Was it? I was pretty certain that FG made a commitment not to legislate for abortion during the GE11 campaign. There are a number of examples of this commitment, particularly in pre-election letters.

I am of a strong belief that it should be legislated for, however I can see the point of view of others when they say that FG have broken their commitment on the matter. There will be electoral consequences, hence why I don't think we are out of the woods yet regarding this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

speaking of reforms in the election f.g promised plenty and so far have delivered none. instead they have continued with the f.f policies that they were so quick to deride when in opposition. every step they have taken so far is anti-business, anti-employment and is old and tired. the pure lack of any creativity, imagination or guts amazes and dissapoints me.

I do not think for one minute that everything is right with FG. Phil Hogan IMO is a major disappointment and a few others. I will hope that FG do reform some or all of their programmes before the next election. I will allow that time span before I judge them. It is going to take some time to change and being hamstrung by debt, austerity and adversity does not help.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I do not think for one minute that everything is right with FG. Phil Hogan IMO is a major disappointment and a few others. I will hope that FG do reform some or all of their programmes before the next election. I will allow that time span before I judge them. It is going to take some time to change and being hamstrung by debt, austerity and adversity does not help.
    reality is when the next election comes (which may be sooner rather than later). you will still be making excuses or more likely still blaming the last administration. havent f.g made a career out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

raymon wrote: »
    Anto and halleluja , just a FYI

Some real data has emerged ( rather than speculative calculation)

support for a FF/FG coalition is very low at 7% of those surveyed

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/coalition-will-struggle-to-hold-seats-says-poll-3350362.html

Doesn't surprise me in the least. . one could only draw alternative conclusions by applying the twisted logic that marked your entrance into this thread. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Doesn't surprise me in the least. . one could only draw alternative conclusions by applying the twisted logic that marked your entrance into this thread. .

I was merely pointing out that your hopes for a FG / FF coalition were not preferred by the electorate. The figures show that this was indeed the case.

A SF / FF coalition would be marginally more preferred, albeit a ghastly spectre of a thing.

raymon wrote: »
    I was merely pointing out that your hopes for a FG / FF coalition were not preferred by the electorate. The figures show that this was indeed the case.

Indeed, and it is a shame because from a FG perspective they would be far more likely to implement their own policies in colaition with FF than with any other party.
    raymon wrote:
    A SF / FF coalition would be marginally more preferred, albeit a ghastly spectre of a thing.

Almost as ghastly (and with the same amount of public support) as a FG/LAB coalition!! Why is it that the two coalitions most favoured by the Irish electorate are the two that politically make least sense ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

So 47% disagree with Belfast city council's flag issue? That's interesting.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So 47% disagree with Belfast city council's flag issue? That's interesting.
    yes they want the union flag to be removed completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

haha that's one way of reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    haha that's one way of reading it.

I wonder what percentage chose 'no opinion' to that question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

So 53% want it kept permanently there as per the Council's previous policy?

That would be surprising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Indeed, and it is a shame because from a FG perspective they would be far more likely to implement their own policies in colaition with FF than with any other party.

Almost as ghastly (and with the same amount of public support) as a FG/LAB coalition!! Why is it that the two coalitions most favoured by the Irish electorate are the two that politically make least sense ?

I'm occasionally tempted by the theory that what the Irish public really prefers is a relatively inactive government. Nonsensical coalitions are one way of achieving that aim - the other one, which I appreciate you're probably going to object to, is electing Fianna Fáil, who don't make changes unless they have to, and who are often inclined to make their changes cosmetic, or self-defeating, or drag them out over such a long period as to spare anyone the feeling of change.

Fine Gael, when elected, tend to make real changes, and over quite short periods - the Irish public, after a period of Fine Gael government (usually a single term), usually needs a couple of terms of Fianna Fáil government to get over the shock.

This isn't a "Fine Gael good, Fianna Fáil bad" argument, please note - to say that Fine Gael make "real changes" in government is not to claim that all their changes are good.

At first sight, of course, this is a silly argument, the equivalent in political terms of David McWilliams' economic "stories", but I think there's a grain of truth in it nevertheless. The Irish electorate is, first and foremost, deeply conservative with a small c - change for change's sake repels them, and about the only thing that dilutes their conservatism is their compassion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sounds like a touch of envy there hj? I cannot accept that people are expected or invited to believe that a coalition of FG with FF would make sense. Its the FF part that I have trouble with. The current coalition may be an odd marriage but it may well work for the current climate. FF have nothing to offer and just want power..... any power it seems to build itself up again. What reforms have FF adapted in the meantime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Polls are like statistics in my opinion.
    They will often say what the pollsters want them to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Sully wrote: »
    I think the figures show little or no change amongst the parties. Good news for the government parties, bad news for the opposition - in particular, Sinn Fein who are up against Fianna Fail. Sinn Fein should be running away with this and taking the governments tough budgets, austerity measures and the downfall of Fianna Fail.

I don't think the message about Sinn Fein implementing austerity, water and property taxes in the North is actually known by many in the South East, so I think its a massive failing on their part.

Sinn Fein's and in particular Gerry Adams non existent knowledge of economics is the reason why SF aren't outpolling FF, most middle class people don't believe in the money fairy whereas a lot of people living in council estates believe that money grows on trees and that SF will reverse all welfare cuts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The Irish electorate is, first and foremost, deeply conservative with a small c - change for change's sake repels them, and about the only thing that dilutes their conservatism is their compassion.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I tend to agree with you. It is noticable that real change (and paticularly social change) under FF tends only to come as a result of legal rulings either from the SC or the European Courts.
    FG in fairness have in the last couple of decades been a far greater agency of change than FF.

Sounds like a touch of envy there hj? I cannot accept that people are expected or invited to believe that a coalition of FG with FF would make sense. Its the FF part that I have trouble with. The current coalition may be an odd marriage but it may well work for the current climate. FF have nothing to offer and just want power..... any power it seems to build itself up again. What reforms have FF adapted in the meantime?

I would have no problem with a FG-FF merger at least it would bring an end to outdated civil war politics, I saw that SINDO poll where only 7% wanted a FG-FF coalition, jaysus Irish people are seriously illogical.

A coalition government at the very least should be between parties that are the most compatible in terms of policy but then again this is Ireland as I mentioned above.

No envy at all . . I'm quite happy to see Fianna Fail spend some time in opposition . . and I'm not sure that any power-hungry Fianna Fail-ers would honestly suggest that their rightful position is as junior coalition partner to FG...

However, I do believe that for a coalition government to be successful it needs to be one that politically makes sense. . i.e. one where the parties are somewhat aligned. . otherwise, the minority party has to compromise its principle so much that its membership becomes disaffected, the electorate become dismissive and they get hammered at the next election . . (witness what is happening to the Labour party right now) . .

Sinn Fein's and in particular Gerry Adams non existent knowledge of economics is the reason why SF aren't outpolling FF, most middle class people don't believe in the money fairy whereas a lot of people living in council estates believe that money grows on trees and that SF will reverse all welfare cuts etc.

Also, the 'tax the rich' gospel that SF preach is currently being implemented by Monsieur Hollande and it isn't working out that well, to put it mildly ....

COYW wrote: »
    Also, the 'tax the rich' gospel that SF preach is currently being implemented by Monsieur Hollande and it isn't working out that well, to put it mildly ....
    where as austerity is producing unbelievable results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I would have no problem with a FG-FF merger at least it would bring an end to outdated civil war politics, I saw that SINDO poll where only 7% wanted a FG-FF coalition, jaysus Irish people are seriously illogical.

A coalition government at the very least should be between parties that are the most compatible in terms of policy but then again this is Ireland as I mentioned above.

Irish people are rational and vote for self-interest TBH.

Private sector voted FG.
    Public sector and unemployed voted Labour.

The reason everyone didn't vote FF or FG is simply because for a significant part of the country, they don't represent their situation and nobody is going to vote for a party that doesn't represent their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Happy to see the decline in the SF vote, I consider them to be a shower of economic illiterates and general populists.

The growing support for FF is worrying, could it be that centre right voters are trapped with no real alternative to FG/Lab?

The abortion results are surprising, particularly those who want to go well beyond the X-Case limitations.

You're referring to the 29% who want 'abortion on demand'?

It's surprisng alright because it is a 16 year low (28% support for 'abortion on demand in a 1997 Irish Times/MRBI poll).

The highest level of support is 'only' at 37% among 18-35 year olds.

I'm surprised and glad that support for 'abortion on demand' remains at a low level.

thebman wrote: »
    Irish people are rational and vote for self-interest TBH.

Private sector voted FG.
    Public sector and unemployed voted Labour.

The reason everyone didn't vote FF or FG is simply because for a significant part of the country, they don't represent their situation and nobody is going to vote for a party that doesn't represent their position.

The voting pattern you describe above is certainly logical. That fact that the two favoured coalitions identified in the weekends poll are either FG/LAB or FF/SF is much less so . .

COYW wrote: »

The problem is that the lumpen proles believe in the money fairy and that SF will reverse all welfare cuts.

where as austerity is producing unbelievable results

I'd don't recall anyone suggesting that austerity was going to be easy, whereas the hard left are playing the 'tax the rich' card as if it is the dream ticket solution to all our problems. The RedC results show that the middle and upper classes understand that cuts are necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭SamHarris

FG 29(+1) , Labour 13(-1),FF 21(+1),SF 16(-1)
    Huge support for legislating for the X-Case 64% want legislation to include either threat of suicide or abortion for any reason.
    47% Disagree with Belfast City Councils decison on the Union Flag.

Those are the main points I will leave my own personal views to another post.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0110/majority-support-x-case-legislation-poll.html

People find it remarkably easy to dismiss polling data, no matter how conclusive, thorough or even how many different surveys agree, if the answer they want is not given. You can see that throughout this forum, and in conversations with people out and about. I cant imagine why politicians would be different in this regard - unless, of course, it becomes a campaign issue. Then we might see some change in this regard.

Advertisement