Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running heifers with bullocks

Options
  • 10-01-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I normally split the weanling heifers and bullocks (4-7 months) when grazing(all bulls are squeezed!), even though they have been reared in a shed together.
    This year, due to numbers and ease of managing grass without having too many groups, I am thinking of running them together.
    How do the rest of ye manage this? Do you split them or run them together? Will the heifers and bullocks be jumping on each other all the time?
    Will it slow the thrive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

usually do the same. split them up at weaning then inject any heifers that i think may have come in season. we usually feed them for a few weeks then sell the bigger ones. whats left we squeeze the bulls but leave them seperate for another few weeks. when we put them together we leave them in the yard for the afternoon, plenty sport but they calm down after about half an hour. after that they are fine in one lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Thanks yellow50HX
    These are bucket-reared and together from about 2 weeks old. Firstly in pens of 5-6, then pens of 10+. Sept-Nov calves.
    They are well-used to each other and bulls will be squeezed in Feb, before going out.
    Try to finish hfrs at 17-19mths, so don't need any setbacks.
    Splitting them complicates rotation with larger animals following. Will try them together this year...whenever we get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have been running them together for the past few years. Never a problem with them. They are all bucket reared so they are like pets anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i run my squeezed bulls and heifers together all year around.

No problem at all

Advertisement