Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers who offer ready-made meals - City Centre/Southside

Options
  • 10-01-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm living in Rathmines at the moment and I'm in desperate need of a butcher who offers stuff ready to cook. I'm in town everyday so anywhere there would suit aswell. I find myself ordering take-out every night so a more affordable/healthy alternative is required :)

Any recommendations really appreciated,
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

meath street D8 there are a few

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

How ready? Like as in a tray with chicken, potatoes, etc... or just say the chicken in some sauce?

I know FX Buckley in town do loads of stuff, not sure about the tray with everything. Likewise Meath St have some great butchers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Lawlors on the Upr Rathmines Rd do a great range of fresh-package foods. The stews and curries are particularly good. Quite pricey but really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Davie Nolan in Rathmines should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

How ready? Like as in a tray with chicken, potatoes, etc... or just say the chicken in some sauce?

I know FX Buckley in town do loads of stuff, not sure about the tray with everything. Likewise Meath St have some great butchers.

Last time i look it was "put the tray in the oven and put your bib on" but that was more than a year ago since Ive been there. they had a nice wide selection too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The butchers (can't remember their name) in Dundrum shopping centre opposite the Tesco does some good ones. They usually have a few deals on as well (2 for €8, 3 for €10 etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

buckleys on talbot street, moore street and nutgrove do ready meals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Tesco's dunnes and Supervalu do meals in tray and ready for the oven, I think Supervalu have the better quality meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

The latter. Ideally they would offer potatoes prepared seperately.

statss wrote: »
    Davie Nolan in Rathmines should be able to sort you out.

Tried it, they just have basic meats, nothing prepared.

Re tesco/supervalue etc. - They do offer what I'm looking for but it's all very, very limited(i.e. the same stuff for 12 months without change)

Thanks all - Any more suggestions appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

O Tooles in Terenure have a few things, havent tried those but theyre a great butchers.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

fkt wrote: »
    The latter. Ideally they would offer potatoes prepared seperately.

Tried it, they just have basic meats, nothing prepared.

Re tesco/supervalue etc. - They do offer what I'm looking for but it's all very, very limited(i.e. the same stuff for 12 months without change)

Thanks all - Any more suggestions appreciated!

Lawlors, about 250 metres from Nolans, has all that stuff you want. Freshly made lasagna, stews, curries - ready for the oven or the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Lawlors, about 250 metres from Nolans, has all that stuff you want. Freshly made lasagna, stews, curries - ready for the oven or the pot.

Cool I'll check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

as mentioned earlier.., Butchers Block across from Tesco un Dundrum TC if your ever out that direction

Really good value.

I love the pork steak meal,.

stuffed pork steak,
    roast veg,
    roast spuds..

Stick it in the oven for an hour and you could feed 3 people for €10 (maybe add extra veg)

Oh,, Jaysus I think I'll be having that this weekend :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Dunnes butchers Donnybrook. Won a butcher of the year award recently. Whole range of ready made stuff. Not the cheapest but far far cheaper, tastier and healthier than getting a takeaway from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Another vote for the butchers block in Dundrum SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Read this thread last night.

Went to Lawlors in Rathmines today.

Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ennis Butchers in Rialto is good.
    http://goo.gl/maps/06Y8Z

Got rack of lamb in the tray and everything, ready to stick into the oven, it was unbelievably good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Not a butcher but supervalu on the quays do these kind of ready made meals, with one tray of meat with sauce and one with veg. Generally they are for 2 people but there are a few for one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Read this thread last night.

Went to Lawlors in Rathmines today.

Highly recommended!

Visited there today aswell. Only knew of it thanks to this thread, but wow what a find. Only 10 mins walk away, amazing prepared meals. Def be getting a couple of visits a week for me from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

The village butcher in Ranelagh has what you're after too!

Will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement