Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery dead by end of journey!!

Options
  • 10-01-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my battery going flat. The main problem is this:

With the engine running, when the fridge is switched on to 12v the voltage drops from 13v to 10v immediately and there is a large draw on the battery. Over time while driving the whole thing goes dead by end of journey.

I can't figure out why this is happening, it's either the battery or the alternator as far as I can make out. The camper is a 1998 Hymer S700 2.8d and the fridge is a 3year old Dometic RM. The issue has been ongoing since the fridge was installed three years ago, maybe the issue is the installation? Unfortunately the installer is now out of business.

Any thoughts on where we should go next? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This is a scenario which can cause your problem.

If the main feed from the engine battery is broken (a bad connection or a blown fuse) when the relays which connect the leisure battery and the fridge 'pull in' when the engine starts the leisure battery and the fridge become connected and both are then supposed to receive current from the engine battery BUT because the connection to the engine battery is 'broken' the fridge takes its power from the leisure battery and the leisure battery receives no charge, at the end of the journey you have a flat leisure battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ellk

niloc1951 wrote: »
    This is a scenario which can cause your problem.

If the main feed from the engine battery is broken (a bad connection or a blown fuse) when the relays which connect the leisure battery and the fridge 'pull in' when the engine starts the leisure battery and the fridge become connected and both are then supposed to receive current from the engine battery BUT because the connection to the engine battery is 'broken' the fridge takes its power from the leisure battery and the leisure battery receives no charge, at the end of the journey you have a flat leisure battery.
    Thank you for that. It makes sense. I was wondering if I ran a separate cable from the engine battery to my leisure battery would it help to solve my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

ellk wrote: »
    Thank you for that. It makes sense. I was wondering if I ran a separate cable from the engine battery to my leisure battery would it help to solve my problem.

That would only serve to connect the two batteries, not a good idea.

See if you can trace the wire which should be running from the engine battery to relay(s) and look for a bad connection or blown fuse. If all is OK in that area the problem is a bit deeper and you need to talk to a real expert like Aidan_M_M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

niloc1951 wrote: »

That would only serve to connect the two batteries, not a good idea.

See if you can trace the wire which should be running from the engine battery to relay(s) and look for a bad connection or blown fuse. If all is OK in that area the problem is a bit deeper and you need to talk to a real expert like Aidan_M_M

I fixed that exact same problem only yesterday for a member , karmaan on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try measuring the voltage on the engine battery when it's running, you should see about 14V then check the voltage on the Leisure battery if it's dropped then there is no connection between the engine battery and the leisure battery, if both drop then i'm stumped. i've and old RM fridge and it's 75W element of 12V so that's 6A add to that charging the leisure battery you could be pulling 15 amps through the cable, you would be better off having a relay for the leisure battery and a relay for the fridge I know my van has two. Can you run the fridge on gas when you are parked up, if so it should not be connected to the leisure battery except for the starter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement