Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

I've a friend visiting from Scotland next week. I have some things organised for him but he said he wanted to visit some decent Dublin pubs. I have a few places in mind but thought the good people of the Dublin forum might be able to give me some different options.

I live in Artane and we'll be using public transport and taxis to get around.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

it would depend really what your friend is like. are they into sports?a history buff?into literature? you'll be spoiled for choice in town.plenty of nice cozy boozers to choose from around artane too,and they'd do considerably less damage to your wallet than say,somewhere in temple bar or Harcourt st or leeson st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bring him/her to the sheds in clontarf, the do some of the best guinness in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get the bus to Fairview and have a good few pints in Gaffneys. One of Dublin's finest...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

bar crawl..

Start => ODonoghues, Suffolk St. => ONeills, Suffolk St. => The Bankers => the International => Grogans => Hairy Lemon => Sinnotts => O Donoghues, Merrion Row.

:)

ill second the sheds, lovely pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

The sheds is on the list I've been there a few times myself.

He doesn't have a particular interest, he does like sport though. What he said to me on the phone last night was "I don't want to be doing touristy stuff, bring me to a few decent pubs". Someone in work mentioned the cobblestone in Smithfield but I thought that was touristy.

might i suggest the woolshed on parnell st? for the sports anyway,cheap pitchers and a decent bar menu too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Head around to Harry Byrnes in Killester. My favourite pub around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

might i suggest the woolshed on parnell st? for the sports anyway,cheap pitchers and a decent bar menu too

Good call on Saturday anyhow for anyone with a varied interest in sport.
    Premiership, Heiniken Cup and later Sat night NFL playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

chris85 wrote: »
    Head around to Harry Byrnes in Killester. My favourite pub around.

I don't think that's in Killester could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hootanany wrote: »

I don't think that's in Killester could be wrong

Its Clontarf, way down the Howth Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, Harry's is definitely Clontarf, and is by far and away the best pub any way close to Artane.

Do not bring this person to The Goblet.

In town, hop on a bus from Artane and get off at Connolly, cross the road and go into The Brew Dock beside the Bus Aras Luas stop - not touristy, and they sell proper, decent, real Irish beers (no Guinness!), and a great selection of world beers. Good food too.

The Bull & Castle up at Christchurch is probably the best pub in Dublin for food and good drinks - reasonably priced grub, and a good selection of beer/spirits. They also show the major sporting events upstairs in their Beer Hall, check it out.

Again, you can get there from Artane on the 15 Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Hairy Lemon is an overpriced poser pit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Yeah, Harry's is definitely Clontarf, and is by far and away the best pub any way close to Artane.

Do not bring this person to The Goblet.

In town, hop on a bus from Artane and get off at Connolly, cross the road and go into The Brew Dock beside the Bus Aras Luas stop - not touristy, and they sell proper, decent, real Irish beers (no Guinness!), and a great selection of world beers. Good food too.

The Bull & Castle up at Christchurch is probably the best pub in Dublin for food and good drinks - reasonably priced grub, and a good selection of beer/spirits. They also show the major sporting events upstairs in their Beer Hall, check it out.

Again, you can get there from Artane on the 15 Bus.

I've never been to the Brew Dock so we'll give that a try.

Most of the pubs mentioned so far I've been to and would go to again so my taste in pubs isn't too bad. I just thought my idea of decent as a female and his idea could be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

The sheds is on the list I've been there a few times myself.

He doesn't have a particular interest, he does like sport though. What he said to me on the phone last night was "I don't want to be doing touristy stuff, bring me to a few decent pubs". Someone in work mentioned the cobblestone in Smithfield but I thought that was touristy.

Ive heard a few people recommend the cobblestone now, didnt that use to be an awful kip a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the longhall is another good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd try the Sackville off O'Connell st. smashing Pint of Plain

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

uch wrote: »
    I'd try the Sackville off O'Connell st. smashing Pint of Plain

One of my best pints ever was in The Sackville. I can still remember it five years later, lovely it was! :)

Advertisement