Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Cork City

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

We have UPC and pay about 60 euro PM. I'd like to move to a free to air option where you can now get built-in recorders etc. However, UPC broadband is superb. I don't quite need the 25mb I get with them or anywhere close, so just wondering if there are any other alternatives/providers anyone can recommend, and how much do they cost? Please note I am not interested in one of those dongle thingies as I've tried 2 and the reception is as bad as dial-up!

Thanks,
    Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

This might be worth a look..............

http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-tv-broadband-phone/broadband/

Howevere, IMO no other BB provider will consistently give good availability and Quality of Service. I'm in Cork city also)

I say this because I certainly can't think of another company who provide bb over fibre to your door.

Vodafone, O2 UTV and eircom (there are probably others too) all use the eircom network - IMO it's rubbish.

I've had UPC bb for the last 3 yrs and it is outstanding. UPC are not perfect and you'll find lots of threads criticising them - but their plain ordinary BB is better than anything else IMO. [I haven't tried MAGNET so I'll exclude them from my list]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You wont beat UPC for broadband in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi there...my 10cents worth. We've had UPC for the past 3 years (broadband and tv) and have only positive to say esp with regard to broadband. It's really superior to the service my neighbours have with eircom , which seems to break down regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The best broadband you can get in Cork is Nova Networks. They generally serve areas that were slow to get Eircom or couldn't get UPC though. And when I say the best that's based on the rate-your-isp thing. They have the highest rating countrywide of any ISP. They're not the cheapest, they're not the fastest but their level of service is top notch. Their customer service is great, installation is easy and they have very little down time. And the speeds they advertise are the speeds you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

If you can get it where you live, Smart Telecom is one of the best options as far as I can see, upto 24Mb (you'll never get this!) for €29.99/month. They've a cap of 350Gb/month which is pretty close to unlimited for me anyway.

Been with them for years & never had a problem, currently getting ~17.5Mb download speeds myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can I ask why you don't move to UPC's cheaper packages? I pay 40 for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

pwurple wrote: »

Hi pwurple,

Is that just for BB only?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

pwurple wrote: »

You won't get any better than UPC for broadband in Cork, as Eircom and other ASDL providers, will always have high contention issues and suffer from slow speeds compared to what UPC and cable gives you..

Just drop the TV package and go for a Broadband + Phone option as this is their cheapest option as their is a surcharge for broadband on its own. Also if you are dropping down to a cheaper plan you have to pay a once off fee of 10 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

If you leave UPC you will only end up going back, its going to be very hard to go to a lesser BB provider after UPC, fibre BB is pretty much faultless, alot of people wont realise this until they move provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

I have Imagine/Irish Broadband on a microwave link.
    Never had any problems over the years.
    UPC have the CO-AX across the road but wont run it in, I asked and it was suggested that I run it in myself....
    Not big into TV myself so we have an Edison TV box with Saor View and Satellites on the one remote control.
    USB Hard Drive recording/pause also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

opus wrote: »
    If you can get it where you live, Smart Telecom is one of the best options as far as I can see, upto 24Mb (you'll never get this!) for €29.99/month. They've a cap of 350Gb/month which is pretty close to unlimited for me anyway.

Been with them for years & never had a problem, currently getting ~17.5Mb download speeds myself.

I would also recommend Smart Telecom - great value and the speed I'm getting (~16meg) is very similar to what I was getting from UPC. We often have 3 or 4 devices online simultaneously and never have a problem. Alternatively, as others have mentioned, just remove the television from your UPC subscription and carry on with landline/BB. You can then install your own FTA system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I would also recommend Smart Telecom - great value and the speed I'm getting (~16meg) is very similar to what I was getting from UPC. We often have 3 or 4 devices online simultaneously and never have a problem. Alternatively, as others have mentioned, just remove the television from your UPC subscription and carry on with landline/BB. You can then install your own FTA system.

I think BB only from UPC is about 40 euro a month so I'll check out Smart as they are only 29.99.

Thanks all for the recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

im on upc at the moment, for 40 euro a month i get 50 meg internet and then they gave me a choice, either pay 5 euro a month for a phone with 100 anytime minutes or 7 euro as i only have 1 product, i took the phone and just barely use it

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Red05

Has anyone tried Digiweb? Think they are Dublin based, found them on bonkers.ie link given above. Anyone have any experience of them?

Loire wrote: »
    Hi pwurple,

Is that just for BB only?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Yes, BB only. Although, I am on a 6 month special offer with them at the moment, so it is discounted to 22 euro, switching to the 40 after that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Red05 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Digiweb? Think they are Dublin based, found them on bonkers.ie link given above. Anyone have any experience of them?

Their DSL will be based on the eircom network - avoid at all costs!

Metro looks interesting, but their 'check availability' link doesn't work, and I'd be asking about the network and delivery method etc. The disclaimer suggests that this service is quite heavily contended

"* Speeds quoted are maximum speed available. Your speed may differ subject to network usage and distance from NODE."

€29.95 is for 1st 3 months only and it's €44.95 pm thereafter.

You'd still be better with UPC IMO (if you're in a cabled area)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Red05

Do you have any idea how long UPC take to give you broadband after order is processed?

It depends if the line is there already. If you have the UPC socket in the house they post you the box and you are up and running the next day.

They ran a new cable in from the road for me, and installed the socket, and tested my connection. so from order to up and running took me three days.

In a previous house, we were 6 weeks getting eircom bb running, the guys installing the cable were not the same guys testing the broadband, so there was a lot of back and forth. so I thought UPC was quite good.

Advertisement