Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2013 Eligibility Question (Re: Returning to Canada)

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So this disclaimer on the IEC has put the ****s through me:
    Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT ) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months. Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) will not be eligible.

Now, I'd previously done a one-year visa through USIT back in 2010-2011. However, I'd engineered my way into staying and working for an additional three months via the 'implied status' loophole. I other words, I have only participated in the IEC once (which is allowed) but stayed longer than 12 months due to my implied status.

Anyone returning to Canada, or who has returned already, able to shed any light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MKcin

Im in the very same boat as you, although Im not worried about this. I would imagine the implied status is not considered an extra year but an extension to the first year while awaiting approval or in our case refusal!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rowsdower

Ha, yeah my thoughts exactly. Did you get your letter of refusal, or had you left before it arrived? Mine arrived at my Canadian address the day after I had left Canada (given I booked those tickets months earlier, that's crazy timing).

But yeah since I hope to apply directly with the IEC (no USIT), I should get my application fee refunded if they do refuse my visa, so it shouldn't leave me out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 coso1122

I think this only applies to people who have stayed with a second year iec visa, but would definitely look for confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 7 the buck

I doubt if they will take the implied status into account. You have still only participated in the IEC once. Your implied status would probably not be seen as an extension to your IEC.
    I am pretty nervous here in Tipperary myself....
    I did the USIT Visa in 2010 and then the first batch of the IEC's in 2011. Soooo what I am wondering is - Are they talking solely about the 2 IEC's that have been offered over the past 2 years by USIT or all the visas in the past, offered by USIT.
    I gave 2.5 years in Canada up until Christmas and I really want to get back there. I guess we will find out sooner of later but hopefully it will all work out.

It's just not clear. or, maybe it is the fact that I can't accept it. What's your take?!

"Previously, Irish citizens were permitted to participate twice, each time up to 12 months. Starting 2013, Irish citizens who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT ) for a period of up to 12 months will be eligible for another participation of up to 24 months. Those who had participated in the International Experience Canada initiative (including through USIT) more than once (i.e., beyond 12 months) will not be eligible."

• Registered Users Posts: 14 coraxx

I had a visa in 2010 and i am currently here on my 2012 visa, i have applied for my 2013 visa but have been refused for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I cant understand this at all, i went on a usit visa in 2006 and again in 2012, before 2012 they were saying you could apply for 2 1 year visas and that any working visa you had in the years past did not count, so have they now changed there mind:confused:
    If i apply for a visa next year will i get it?

I found this post:

Q: I came from Ireland in 2010 on a USIT visa and then used my first year IEC visa last year. Can I apply for a two-year IEC visa this year, given the first visa was not part of IEC program?

A: No, as this would potentially allow this person to get four years on working holiday visas (one year from USIT and three years from two IEC participations). From 2013, each person is allowed two participations in any incarnation of the programme. This rule means that some people will only get two years in Canada and some three years.

So im done! Living over here and was going home on the first of may for a holiday. Its looking like im going home for good! very annoying

If you have had 2 previous visas then you are not entitled to the new 2yr one! I was talking to USIT and they said i could, its bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

I cant understand this at all, i went on a usit visa in 2006 and again in 2012, before 2012 they were saying you could apply for 2 1 year visas and that any working visa you had in the years past did not count, so have they now changed there mind:confused:
    If i apply for a visa next year will i get it?

Nope thats you done with it now I'm afraid

I was told the same, usit told me that too. Aload of ****e!

• Advertisement
Advertisement