Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom split line

• 10-01-2013 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I built anew house a couple of years back and got in an eircom landline.
    Went to try to get broadband recently and even though the exchange is enabled and houses much further along the line from the exchange and built 30 or 40 years ago can get broadband, I can't. On phoning eircom they say this is because there were no lines left at the nearest junction when my house was built and the engineer split a wire to give me a phone line. There have been numerous problems with the phone line in the past few years with probably 10 faults in 2 years.

Is there anything that I can do about this to help get broadband? Are eircom obliged to provide a decent line that can hold a broadband signal? The house is also in an area shaded from mobile broadband signal (very very poor mobile phone signal) so there are very few options in that sense
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

This is all Eircom are obligated to provide:
    Provision of access at a fixed location

The USP must satisfy any reasonable request to provide connections to the public telephone network and access to publicly available telephone services. Also any connection provided by the USP must be capable of:

Local, national and international telephone calls
    Facsimile (fax) communications
    Data communications at data rates that are sufficient to permit functional internet access (the USP is currently required to adopt 28.8kbps as a reasonable minimum data rate)

The USP will be required to consider all requests for connections as reasonable if the expenditure involved in meeting the request is less than €7000 and the cost to the applicant shall not exceed the standard connection charge.

http://www.comreg.ie/consumer_initiatives/universal_service_obligation.590.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

vbman wrote: »
    I built anew house a couple of years back and got in an eircom landline.
    Went to try to get broadband recently and even though the exchange is enabled and houses much further along the line from the exchange and built 30 or 40 years ago can get broadband, I can't. On phoning eircom they say this is because there were no lines left at the nearest junction when my house was built and the engineer split a wire to give me a phone line. There have been numerous problems with the phone line in the past few years with probably 10 faults in 2 years.

Is there anything that I can do about this to help get broadband? Are eircom obliged to provide a decent line that can hold a broadband signal? The house is also in an area shaded from mobile broadband signal (very very poor mobile phone signal) so there are very few options in that sense
    Thanks for any help

Hi

Is any of the fixed wireless providers available in your area? Companies like Digiweb (Metro), Imagine (WiMax) and Ripplecom just to name a few. These offer phone services along with in some cases high speed broadband at prices lower that Eircom's offerings. If they are it will be well worth a look.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I was on a split line - exact same situation as you with a new build. Eventually had to order a new line and 'hope' it wasn't split. It was the only way they could do it and I managed to speak with the Eircom engineer on the day he came to the pole outside the house to tell him it was for DSL and luckily he gave us a single line.

I realise Eircom said to you that there was no spare single line, but they also said the same to my father in law, but he was on speaking terms with the local Eircom engineer and he managed to get his split line removed without even contacting Eircom directly. My guess is the engineer took a line that didn't have DSL on it and moved the sharing line from the father in laws to that. If there are a number of older people in your area (as there is around me) it is very probable this could be done as these lines don't have DSL on them....

Advertisement