Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky + HD plus multi room viewing

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

OK all, need advise / cost, I have sky+HD and multi room viewing, it costs me €110 a month, times is just to hard now for this type of ongoing monthly bill as i am sure you will all agree,
    I am now looking to find the best free to air solution to replace sky, so i need free to air that gives me all the best channels, the box needs to record and give me HD viewing plus TV guide forward viewing, also a system that give me multi room viewing, (I know this requires additional boxes,
    As i already have a sky dish I am sure this will do for the free to air as i have seen installers us them, also i asked a sky installer and her said the dish will be fine for free to air, this means (please correct me if i am wrong), all my cables are in place, so i need the best free to air boxes with recording multi channels and HD and best free channel viewing available,
    So all advice would be great, I know i will pay a little more to the top of the range box. but i am happy to do so as it is a once of payment, OH, also saoirview is a must, (not sure if i have this or how it works, (I have a new samsung 55" 3d tv so i am hoping I have this built in, but not sure about the other two tvs,
    Thanking you all in advance, (Happy for any installers to quote me in the Kildare area (Curragh)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im in a similar situation insofar as Im considering the switch from Sky to FTA and Im still doing a bit of research before I can convince her good self that the FTA may be a better option (financially, if nothing else).

Anyhow I'll not comment on what type of FTA box/set up you should get as I'm not up to speed on that topic. However I can see your reason for wanting to leave Sky. Considering there is only so much content you can watch and record it just doesnt make sense to pay €110 a month. Admittedly the Sky+ box and HD boxes are probably as good if not better than any other pvr on the market and the simplicity of the functions is second to none. Added to that if you're a sports fan like myself Sky have a fantastic array of events on offer that you wont find with any other provider but at a cost though.

As has been mentioned here on numerous occasions why not call them and tell them you are considering cancelling your subscription for either financial reasons or that you intend to switch to UPC. They will normally give you a good discount for 6 or 12 months and at that stage you can weigh up the benefits of staying with Sky at a certain price or moving to FTA with no monthly subs but little or no sports either for example. All down to your own personal requirements.

I cancelled my subscription less than a week ago and Im now "working out my notice". I had free multiroom and 25% off my package and they told me they wouldn't budge on that. There's still a chance that they will get back to me before the cancellation period is up and if they improve the offer then I'll probably stay put and the missus will be more than happy. If not then I will be off to pastures new (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

I was hoping for more feedback on this subject then one reply (which i thank the poster for,),
    I have looked into this a little more and it seems i can get more then what i get of sky for 25% of the price,
    I current pay 121 a month for multi room viewing and sky movies etc, the full monty, atfer talking to some people i know i got a number for a local guy who will change everything over and provide new boxes for 750, within the 750 is a full years viewing for eveything on sky and everying not on sky, next year it then costs me only 300 for the full year, thats a crazy amount in the difference,
    I have given my notice to sky and am moving forward with the local guy,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Mr Bump wrote: »
    I was hoping for more feedback on this subject then one reply (which i thank the poster for,),
    I have looked into this a little more and it seems i can get more then what i get of sky for 25% of the price,
    I current pay 121 a month for multi room viewing and sky movies etc, the full monty, atfer talking to some people i know i got a number for a local guy who will change everything over and provide new boxes for 750, within the 750 is a full years viewing for eveything on sky and everying not on sky, next year it then costs me only 300 for the full year, thats a crazy amount in the difference,
    I have given my notice to sky and am moving forward with the local guy,

Ehh...Sounds like the illegal route...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Ehh...Sounds like the illegal route...:eek:

Very illegal & zero comeback from the "local guy" when the service is suddenly terminated.

Better off haggling with Sky for a discount,more & more are paying half price for Sky.
    If not get a decent FTA/Saorview setup & a Netflix account.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Thanks for the advise, i will be sure to make sure everything is above board with what ever i do,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mr Bump wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise, i will be sure to make sure everything is above board with what ever i do,
    From what you described earlier you will have your work cut out for you.

Advertisement