Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Great Fireball of Pollet Arch'

• 10-01-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Myself and another photographer went to The Great Pollet Arch in Donegal last night, when we got there at stupid o clock it was -1c and pitch black, we made our way down to the arch and traversed the very slippy rocks to the arch... it was so dark and the tide was coming in very fast. We did not feel safe at this location as we were unsure if the tide would come in around the back of us leaving us stranded :-( we both decided to get the shot and get out fast! It took us seven minutes to fire of a few exposures and get out.... a record time for any landscape photographer!
    During the my third and final exposure we witnessed this massive fireball streak across the sky in front of us (Something I will never forget) It was just plain luck that we were both in the middle of an exposure and we both caught this incredible fireball in frame! Something never to be repeated at this location!

So here it is :-)
    DF77AC239FD74F9AB58D46A9402E8814-0000345914-0003126495-00800L-78560674827A4530BDD6D6A080F69290.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

That's pretty awesome!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

Goes to show you have to be out there to get the money shot.
    Well done. Where in Donegal is this arch?, i don't think i have seen a photo of it before .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

wow! could that have been the Apophis? He flew by last night pretty close, "only" +/-14.5 million kms from Earth. 2029 will be his next visit and closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Stunning photo, what settings did you shoot it with and did you need to refine it ?

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭PhinglasPhil

I go on bended knee....
    Awe inspiring capture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

maddog wrote: »
    Brilliant shot, amazing timing - we gave this Photo of the Day on Pixie. :D

BUT if you are posting Pixie photos on boards or other forums from Pixie, please don't remove the link back to the original. That link is valuable to us and is our "payment" for hosting and serving the image! :(

Marcus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

inkedpt wrote: »
    wow! could that have been the Apophis? He flew by last night pretty close, "only" +/-14.5 million kms from Earth. 2029 will be his next visit and closer.
    nope, apophis did not come close to our atmosphere, so would not have travelled that far across the sky during the exposure, nor have been that bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Brilliant shot, amazing timing - we gave this Photo of the Day on Pixie. :D

BUT if you are posting Pixie photos on boards or other forums from Pixie, please don't remove the link back to the original. That link is valuable to us and is our "payment" for hosting and serving the image! :(

Marcus

Thanks a million Marcus, I was not aware of the link issue :( the last thing I would want is for you guys not to get payment for your efforts!
    On another note Joe.ie has this as there pic of the day.... Now I'm pleased that the image is getting attention....but on the other hand I'm not happy that they lifted the image from pix.ie. without permission.

Regards,
    Bren

secman wrote: »
    Stunning photo, what settings did you shoot it with and did you need to refine it ?

Secman

Settings:
    16-35mmL iso:1600 exp:33.5 seconds at 4.0
    Just some burning on the tail end of the arch as the light painting was a bit bright there as the rock was fairly white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Thanks a million Marcus, I was not aware of the link issue :( the last thing I would want is for you guys not to get payment for your efforts!
    Hey no worries at all! :)
    On another note Joe.ie has this as there pic of the day.... Now I'm pleased that the image is getting attention....but on the other hand I'm not happy that they lifted the image from pix.ie. without permission.
    I've never heard of joe.ie... If a image is public, it's open to this type of copying. The image has been downloaded and uploaded to their servers which is a breach of your copyright, but they have credited the photo with a link back to your profile. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Wow! Incredible shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

thats a once in a lifetime sort of shot amazing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

yay! #win

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Super shot Maddog, 1 in a million or several millions......Just on a side note how was the arch/rock lit or did you combine some other exposures. You generally produce excellent photography and now you've got rewarded for the effort, well done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

They've taken it down from Joe.ie

IamBlip wrote: »
    Super shot Maddog, 1 in a million or several millions......Just on a side note how was the arch/rock lit or did you combine some other exposures. You generally produce excellent photography and now you've got rewarded for the effort, well done again.

The rock was lit with my handheld torch, it's a single exposure.... Thanks for taking the time to comment;):)
    kensutz wrote: »
    They've taken it down from Joe.ie

I requested that they take it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

requested that they take it down.

that is the very definition of overkill

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    that is the very definition of overkill

How so?

When I say I requested they take it down this would not be entirely true as this is how it got taken down :

I ask for someone to contact me with regards the theft of my image from Pix.ie, This was the response "Hi Bren, we actually found the picture on Reddit and Twitter and hadn't realised it was copyrighted. The piece has already been deactivated on the site. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. JOE"

So should I invoice them? Or should I just let anyone use my image that I worked hard to capture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

How so?

Judging from Tucker.Tim's previous contributions on similar issues he probably feels you ought to be grateful to the magazine for deigning to display it in the first place :rolleyes:

Posted up on PetaPixel. I assume he (Michael Zhang) asked ? He's normally pretty good with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Posted up on PetaPixel. I assume he (Michael Zhang) asked ? He's normally pretty good with that.

That one is from the second photographer rather than Brendan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

How so?

When I say I requested they take it down this would not be entirely true as this is how it got taken down :

I ask for someone to contact me with regards the theft of my image from Pix.ie, This was the response "Hi Bren, we actually found the picture on Reddit and Twitter and hadn't realised it was copyrighted. The piece has already been deactivated on the site. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. JOE"

So should I invoice them? Or should I just let anyone use my image that I worked hard to capture?

I think you already know the answer ... YES ! .. and double or treble whatever normal rate you would charge for online usage (for copyright breach).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It's in today's Irish Sun, page 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Borderfox wrote: »

That's Bryan Hanna's shot as well, not maddog's, who I assume from above is called 'Brendan' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

And not a signature or watermark in sight! +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Corkbah wrote: »
    I think you already know the answer ... YES ! .. and double or treble whatever normal rate you would charge for online usage (for copyright breach).

Are you serious? double triple the rate you wanna get laughed at?
    Companies can sit on money for as long as they like especially if your throw ridicules quotes at them, the days of making money in stock photography are gone, Due to micro web based agencies.

The Intelligent way is to bill them or instances say €300.00 when you receive the check you email thanking them for a timely payment and send a link with all your work and tell them that if they want to do more business you'd be glad to facilitate them.

Btw if you were on alamy and you get the above check your doing well!
    Mods excuse my out outspokenness

Mad dog, Fantastic picture as always :) well done...

Snowie wrote: »
    Are you serious? double triple the rate you wanna get laughed at?
    Companies can sit on money for as long as they like especially if your throw ridicules quotes at them, the days of making money in stock photography are gone, Due to micro web based agencies.

The Intelligent way is to bill them or instances say €300.00 when you receive the check you email thanking them for a timely payment and send a link with all your work and tell them that if they want to do more business you'd be glad to facilitate them.

Btw if you were on alamy and you get the above check your doing well!
    Mods excuse my out outspokenness

Mad dog, Fantastic picture as always :) well done...

its more for the breach of copyright than usage ...they have used an image without permission - given that the OP is not earning a living from Photography then he can wait for them to drag it out a bit ... he's in a win-win situation and can demand whatever amount. (within reason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Corkbah wrote: »
    its more for the breach of copyright than usage ...they have used an image without permission - given that the OP is not earning a living from Photography then he can wait for them to drag it out a bit ... he's in a win-win situation and can demand whatever amount. (within reason)

Ok, copy right i see your point you hate it blah blah balh.. fine but personally if some one used one of my images with out consent I'd be ecstatic because of the fact that, they see I've got an ability the other reason is because its a foot in the door. Not to mention a chance to make repeat business dealings and pay of what could be considered and expensive set up.

This is the point im making, you can be all gargantuan with your pricing and ask for loads at a fair price and get repeat dealings, make some money. I know its cheeky but copy right and images has been going on longer then you've ever been around and will continue to its a fact nature of an industry!

You can be foolish and charge high prices or you can be smart get your name known as some one who charges fair prices and make some money back on what can be an expensive set up!

I'm sorry but the quick cash draw never works.

• Advertisement

Ok, copy right i see your point you hate it blah blah balh.. fine but personally if some one used one of my images with out consent I'd be ecstatic because of the fact that, they see I've got an ability the other reason is because its a foot in the door. Not to mention a chance to make repeat business dealings and pay of what could be considered and expensive set up.

This is the point im making, you can be all gargantuan with your pricing and ask for loads at a fair price and get repeat dealings, make some money. I know its cheeky but copy right and images has been going on longer then you've ever been around and will continue to its a fact nature of an industry!

You can be foolish and charge high prices or you can be smart get your name known as some one who charges fair prices and make some money back on what can be an expensive set up!

To be honest with a lot of companies the more likely outcome is that they will eventually reluctantly pay you and move on to a confirmed free source. Especially the likes of Joe.ie, blogs like these constantly have people submitting content and have no interest in paying for content. Its not in their model

Edit: We're gone totally OT here anyway :-D

but this part is completely wrong ... if you consider it a foot in the door - how do you think they will change attitudes and offer to pay you...at what point will they say we've been using this guy for 2months, 2years and he's always given us free images...maybe we should pay him !!

you go on to say charge a small amount and you'll get repeat business .... not true ! ... ask firstly ...why did they use this particular image? ... because it suited the story, so next time they have a story which requires an image ...will they come running to you because you charged less than other people ? NO ... they will try to find someone who's image suits the story ... they will also try to use it for free and hope the photographer will be happy to get published and get "exposure".

This cycle of trying to operate for cheap and undercut other people does not work unless you hold a huge archive of images and an ever increasing database of live images....and its financially restrictive in that in order to create such a database you must operate and take images which costs money.

Update of sorts: I sent them an email invoicing them for the use of my image and gave them until Friday to respond which they have not responded in any way.... Which I find very F**king rude anyway, I think that they think that if they don't respond that I'll just go away (Big mistake, if anything I'm more determent) ...So I'll instruct my Solicitor first thing tomorrow to start proceedings.
    Quick question.... can I pursue this through the small claims court for a quicker resolution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Update of sorts: I sent them an email invoicing them for the use of my image and gave them until Friday to respond which they have not responded in any way.... Which I find very F**king rude anyway, I think that they think that if they don't respond that I'll just go away (Big mistake, if anything I'm more determent) ...So I'll instruct my Solicitor first thing tomorrow to start proceedings.
    Quick question.... can I pursue this through the small claims court for a quicker resolution?

Don't see any reason why not - ask over on the 'legal discussion' forum to be sure.

Don't think so Bren, doesn't seem to fall under these headings:

The following types of consumer claims can be dealt with under the Small Claims procedure:

Consumer claims such as for faulty goods or bad workmanship. You must have bought the goods or service for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.
    Claims can also be made for minor damage to your property.
    Claims for the non-return of a rent deposit for certain kinds of rented properties, such as, a holiday home or a flat in a premises where the landlord also lives. The Private Residential Tenancies Board handles such claims for the mainstream private rented housing sector.
    Consumer claims cannot be made in the Small Claims Court for debts, personal injuries or breach of leasing or hire-purchase agreements.

Businesses can make claims against other businesses in relation to contracts for goods or services purchased. It does not apply to claims in relation to:

Agreements to which the Consumer Credit Act 1995 applies
    Breaches of leasing agreements
    Debt or liquidated damages
    The procedure is designed to deal with claims up to €2,000.

Advertisement