Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time job ideas for a health science student!

Options
  • 10-01-2013 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all, I'm a second year grad entry med student living in Dublin and I gots to get me a job soon, the hundred quid a week from the loan isn't cutting it.

I'd rather not return to my previous line of work as a deli hand so I'm just wondering what kind of jobs others have worked at- or folks they know have worked at - while they were studying courses in the health sciences? Jobs that you would be more likely to get while in that line of study.

I know one guy who did some part time work as a phlebotomist, can't find anything in that line of work right now but jobs like that.

Or is it back to the deli with me? Jayzus I hope not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Briawalsh wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a second year grad entry med student living in Dublin and I gots to get me a job soon, the hundred quid a week from the loan isn't cutting it.

I'd rather not return to my previous line of work as a deli hand so I'm just wondering what kind of jobs others have worked at- or folks they know have worked at - while they were studying courses in the health sciences? Jobs that you would be more likely to get while in that line of study.

I know one guy who did some part time work as a phlebotomist, can't find anything in that line of work right now but jobs like that.

Or is it back to the deli with me? Jayzus I hope not.

If you can get a job in phlebotomy you will be the king of the interns when you finish college!

A friend of mine managed to get some portering work, he's a med reg now and still maintains he has never been as well paid since!

It used to be possible to get agency work as a hca but I have no idea how well paid this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I did catering work in a hospital and then Nurse on Call for a while to get money together. All in the same hospital I did most of my training in, knew the place inside out by the end of it! The hotel across the road from the concert hall in Earlsfort Terrace used to take on loads of medical students as waitresses/waiters, might be worth a look, not sure if they still do it.

Advertisement