Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy

Options
  • 10-01-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm thinkin of applying for a course in Physiotherapy. I've been researching it for a while now and i've narrowed it down to two options. Option 1 - Go to Carlow IT and do the two year lv.6 course then apply to go over to England. Option 2 - Do a level 8 sports science course, this would open more doors and i could do a masters in physiotherapy after wards. Anyone got any thoughts or experience in either route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Beaver16

Im on the same boat here. What LC subjects are you doing? I dont do chemistry, physics or honours maths so Im wondering if ill be at a disadvantage :/

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scholar88

I was looking into the mature route to be honest mate so I'm lookin at different options to yourself I suspect. To be honest from my research if you're not able to get into the main course in Ireland you should apply to the lvl 7 in Sligo or that course in Carlow and then move to England. Quite a common route.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Why not apply directly as a mature student to the Physiotherapy courses in TCD, UCD and UL?

TCD have an accelerated entry into their course - you can gain entry into second year if you hold a degree in a number of similar science type courses such as Athletic Therapy & Training, DCU or the Physiology & Health Sciences, Sligo-IT. Not sure of the application process but if you contact the college they should be able to give you information.

I've been on placement with a few physiotherapists who did the Carlow course and went on to some of the universities in the UK. Most who do the course in Carlow go on to study Physio, OT or Dietitetics in the UK so it is a very good stepping stone to get into the course.

You could go down the Masters route. UCD have just started a masters in Physiotherapy. But from speaking to healthcare professionals, you can tell the difference between a Bsc. grad and a MA grad. Their knowledge of anatomy, physiology and other aspects of the course would be better if they did the undergraduate course, which is 4 year compared to the 2year masters course.

Very difficult to go directly into those colleges as a Mature Student. Only a handful of places and lots of competition.

The more research I do the more I believe Carlow IT is the best bet. IT seems to open all kinds of doors and its only two years. Why do an 'accelerated' course when you could do your physiotherapy in England at a fraction of the cost?

I do think the Master's course does look appealing tho.... I appreciate it may not been as in depth a the full degree but at the end of the day its all about experience anyway! what sorta degree do you need in order to do this type of Masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

scholar88 wrote: »
    Very difficult to go directly into those colleges as a Mature Student. Only a handful of places and lots of competition.

This is true but if you make your application very strong, it is possible. :)
    The more research I do the more I believe Carlow IT is the best bet. IT seems to open all kinds of doors and its only two years. Why do an 'accelerated' course when you could do your physiotherapy in England at a fraction of the cost?

Because for whatever reason, people cannot leave the country - usually family ties.
    I do think the Master's course does look appealing tho.... I appreciate it may not been as in depth a the full degree but at the end of the day its all about experience anyway! what sorta degree do you need in order to do this type of Masters?

Experience, plus a good grounding in anatomy and physiology is needed.

Not sure not requirements are needed. I'm sure the information is on their website.

Best of luck with what you decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

hi there,
    i am a first year student in DCU: Athletic Therapy and Training.
    originally i wanted to do a physiotherapy course but when i sat down and thought about where i wanted to be in 4 years time i veered towards dcu. i always wanted to work in the area of sports and musculoskeletal injuries, whereas i hadnt as much interest in the other areas covered in physio (neurological and cardio-respiratory).

i love my course in DCU its a really hands on approach to learning, the facilities are fantastic, the dcu ATT students run a clinic a few days a week which gives you practical experience right throughout your degree.

not only are you learning how to treat injuries but you also learn the fundamentals behind strength and conditioning, fitness, training, testing methods etc.

in 4th year there is an paid work placement where the majority receive placements in sports medicine clinics in the US, premier league soccer teams, IRFU etc.

the DCU course is adapted from the american version of athletic training. in america there are two types of health professionals for "physiotherapy". there is an athletic trainer and a physical therapist. the physical therapist basically is the equivalent of a physio and works primarily in hospitals and the athletic trainer works with sports teams, high schools and sports med clinics, hospitals etc.

DCU is in the process of developing an allegiance with the athletic trainers association in America which would enable DCU grads to obtain full time employment in the states.

the course is intense and focuses on the musculoskeletal aspects of the human anatomy in much greater detail than that of a physiotherapy student. so if you want to work in a hospital etc physio is for you, but if you want to work with athletes dcu is for you

there is not much of a difference in points between dcu and ucd, i think ucd is around 540? and dcu is 520

just to clear something up, Sport science (SSH) is totally different from athletic therapy and training (ATT) and physio.

Ssh students do not study any anatomy in dcu and focus on sport performance rather than injuries and rehabilitation

there is a major difference

:)

hmmm....Has I read fccallan msg before the CAO deadline then perhaps my choices would have been different! Its gone in now and i've the four physio places put down and then those DCU courses and similar ones down after. Fingers crossed something comes up

Advertisement