Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching on a WHV

Options
  • 10-01-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey,

I am thinking of moving to oz on a WHV around June. I am currently in the process of completing a PDE here in Ireland and I have a number of questions relating to the process involved.

if there is anyone who has done this before or has relevant information then anything would be helpful?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

What is your, ur eh question

• Registered Users Posts: 25 badgerbadger27

ifeelill wrote: »
    What is your, ur eh question

I have loads of questions but I didn't want to bombard people wit all of my rambling questions!

the main one that I need answered is simple, is it possible to teach on a WHV in Australia?

I would love to get in contact with someone who has done it before or is doing it at the moment to ask them where to go? how the process works? can I realistically get work? etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

this is an extract from a teacher friend of mine
    simple answer is yes:
    Before leaving on my travels I competed an applicaton form with Teach.NSW online at https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/. This is the exact link https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/eat3/welcome.do I also had to send a copy of this application form off along with a

~passport photo,
    ~a declaration by 2 referees (your Principal could be one),
    ~two forms of proof of identity (I used my full birth cert and a recent bank statement),
    ~evidence of my visa (I used Visafirst through Usit)
    ~evidence of my employment (school contract and General Inspection Report)
    ~a copy of my B.Ed certificate
    ~confirmation of registration with The Teaching Council of Ireland
    ~full academic transcripts of degrees, teaching practice details and other qualifications (if you ring up your college they should be able to send you these)

I sent all this to them at Teach.NSW, Locked Bag 3020, Blacktown, NSW 2148.

Just remember to have any photocopied documents or certificates stamped and dated by a Garda or solicitor as this is what they mean by certified by a 'Justice of the Peace' for us here in Ireland.

They will then list you with Casual Direct which is a type of agency for teachers in NSW, however, I only received about two calls from them. I joined another agency when I arrived called Randstad Education (www.randstad.com.au). Once Teach.NSW have approved you, they are happy and will just conduct a short (informal) interview with you when you arrive and they will ask you for 2 passport photos. They will take a few days to verify your qualifications with Teach NSW. You usually receive calls in the evening or very early in the morning and they try to send you to public schools close to where you live (Buy a Sydney Street Directory when you get here, it saves alot of hassle and getting lost!). Also remember the sch hols here are from mid Dec to end of Jan so Feb can be a bit quiet...

When I started to work in Sydney I discovered that there is a separate application system for Catholic Schools so you may have time to get that sorted before you go if you're interested in teaching in these - it takes much longer, approx. 6 weeks. I'm sorry I have no web/email address for this particular application form. I did it but never taught as I got enough work in the Public Schools. If you have schools in your neighbourhood you could also drop your CV into them as it would be a huge transport saving-I got a year long block in a school five mins from my house!

Just to let you know, you are only qualified to teach in the state of New South Wales by completing the Teach.NSW application form - if you decide to move to Melbourne, Perth, Cairns etc, it is different to Ireland in that each state had a separate vetting system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 decoder

It is absolutely possible as described by the previous poster. Keep in mind that you can approach schools directly and catholic schools pay more. I have just gone through this lengthy process and am beginning to teach in February.

http://www.ceosyd.catholic.edu.au/Pages/Home.aspx

If you want to register with the catholic education office you need to complete a working with children check, it doesnt say this on the form but they sent my application back as i hadnt included it.

best of luck and here to help in any way.

thanks for the advice, sounds great and just what I am looking for given the situation here in Ireland!

One thing that I am concerned about however would be the possibility that I would not be able to get any work when I get over there.

Are sub teachers in high demand at the moment in Australia? I will be looking for positions in the area of business, accounting and IT.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice, sounds great and just what I am looking for given the situation here in Ireland!

One thing that I am concerned about however would be the possibility that I would not be able to get any work when I get over there.

Are sub teachers in high demand at the moment in Australia? I will be looking for positions in the area of business, accounting and IT.

Early Childhood, Secondary School, Special Needs Teacher,Teacher of the Hearing Impaired, Teacher of the Sight Impaired and Special Education Teachers nec all appear on schedule 1 of the skilled occupation list and are assessed by AITSL. These are in demand occupations and you shouldn't have any trouble finding work in your field.

However its not my bum bum on the line if it doesn't work out for you so always have a back up plan.

You could look on websites such as www.seek.com.au or westjobs.com.au to see the lay of the land or talk to a recruitment agency in the town or city you plan on living in.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ifeelill wrote: »
    Early Childhood, Secondary School, Special Needs Teacher,Teacher of the Hearing Impaired, Teacher of the Sight Impaired and Special Education Teachers nec all appear on schedule 1 of the skilled occupation list and are assessed by AITSL. These are in demand occupations and you shouldn't have any trouble finding work in your field.

Being on the SOL is in no way at all an indicator that you will have no trouble finding work subbing while on a WHV.

Mellor wrote: »
    Being on the SOL is in no way at all an indicator that you will have no trouble finding work subbing while on a WHV.

thats kinda what I thought myself! I was hoping that someone who had done this before would be able to share their experiences on the demand for subbing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 niamh19841

I am in Sydney over 4 years now. Secondary trained but working in the same primary school for 3.5 years went in one day sent by agency and there since. Plenty of day to day work mostly in primary schools though although they remind me of secondary schools at home. Once your a qualified teacher you can do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

Does anyone know can you teach without the Dip?! I will have 3 years primary teaching experience come July. I'm currently teaching in a GEMS International school in Dubai with just 5 months to go.I will have completed a year and a half teaching here by then. Previous to this, I did some temporary work at home for over a year. I really would love to do some casual teaching work in Sydney for a year. I emailed the NSW teaching board but still no response. I've a B.Ed with History from Mary I. If anyone could respond, I would really be grateful thanks!!

Hi, 99.99% sure you must have teaching qualification. This is for NSW anyway. Unless elsewhere is different but I would imagine all states are the same especially now since new Australia wide curriculum is beginning this year.

Eligibility to teach in a public school WA

Qualifications

To teach in a WA public school you must have successfully completed four years of tertiary education which includes at least one year of full-time teacher education.
    In Western Australia you can become a teacher in one of two ways:
    • by completing a Bachelor of Education which is a four year undergraduate degree, OR
    • by completing an undergraduate degree (for example a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts) followed by a one year Graduate Diploma in Education.
    The qualification must be in one of these areas:
    • early childhood education
    • primary education
    • middle schooling
    • secondary education.
    Find out more:
    Teaching options
    As part of your university course you must also successfully complete at least one 45 day teaching practicum in a relevant school.
    If you are coming from overseas or another state, your qualifications will be assessed by the WA College of Teaching (WACOT). You may not need to have any additional qualifications to teach in WA.

Teacher registration

Just as doctors, nurses, lawyers and other professionals have to be registered before they can practice, all teachers in Western Australia must be registered in order to teach in a school. You must apply for registration with the Teacher Registration Board (TRB). The TRB replaced the Western Australian College of Teaching in December 2012.
    To apply to work in a WA public school you must be eligible to register with the TRB.
    A current National Criminal History Record Check is required as part of the Registration process.
    Find out more:

W: Teacher Registration Board

Working with Children check

Once you commence work at a school, you are required to obtain a Working with Children Check. A Working with Children Check is a legislative requirement for everyone who works with children in WA.
    You can get an application form from any Australia Post Office and the form must be signed by a principal or deputy principal. It costs AUS$50 and is valid for three years. The Post Office issues a card with a photograph.
    There is a phasing in period for teachers already working with the Department. If you were registered with WACOT before January 2007 you have an exemption until 2010 – and then all teachers must have a Working with Children check. To find out if you require a check at this time please visit the website.
    Find out more:
    W: Working with Children Check

Source: http://det.wa.edu.au/

Useful website: http://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/page.php?pageID=215

Thanks guys. You see that's where the confusing part comes in, I have the B.Ed done except it was a 3 year course when I did it here. However, it's now a four year course here but it's the same qualification. Plus I have a good bit of experience. . I'm guessing it's a no-go without the Dip alright, but I'm giving it a try anyway. . just have to wait and see what I get back in the E-mail from NSW board, that's where I want to go .It's crazy though that I could teach nearly anywhere else in the world with my B.Ed with no problems, why is Oz so strict?! :(

Thanks guys. You see that's where the confusing part comes in, I have the B.Ed done except it was a 3 year course when I did it here. However, it's now a four year course here but it's the same qualification. Plus I have a good bit of experience. . I'm guessing it's a no-go without the Dip alright, but I'm giving it a try anyway. . just have to wait and see what I get back in the E-mail from NSW board, that's where I want to go .It's crazy though that I could teach nearly anywhere else in the world with my B.Ed with no problems, why is Oz so strict?! :(

I don't know who acredits education degrees here in Ireland but they will know if your Irish B.Ed is equivalent to an Aussie one. At the very least they will give you an idea of who assess teacher qualifications in Australia.

The nsw institute of teachers send them an email but as I said the dip will be the issue as that's your full teaching qualification

what kind of costs would I be looking at if I was planning on going?

does anyone know what time of the year is cheapest to travel during?

Its cheap now. Last time i checked it was around €700 for a one way ticket.

Here is a list of visa charges

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lellybelle24

In WA you have to be four year trained to teach. I'm not sure about other states. You need to find out if you can get registered somewhere first and then once you have an area people might be able to give you advice on job availability. Best of luck.

I'm just throwing out there it IS Possible to go teaching in Oz with a 3 year B.ED degree(in certain parts.) Also, if you are an NQT with a 3 year degree, not a 4 year one as that is ok, I'm sad to say it's a no go(I was told this by one of the NSW staff who emailed back to my responses.) I am proof there are ways around the 3 year rule if you have experience. I have a few years teaching experience abroad as well as a year at home before I left, so that helped me, and they did contact one if my references. I've no dip completed in Ireland yet because I left, but I still got my accreditation! :) However, I think it's because I've already done a kind of 'dip' already in my school last year with tonnes of planning and constant teaching assessments(pity it's not recognized at home though. . . ) It was tough going for awhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement