Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling sky

Options
  • 10-01-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to get the irish and english channels as I am about to cancel my sky subscription? I have two seperate sky boxes. Do I go out and buy free to air box, and what about a saorview box ?
    Can anyone give me details of the cheapest was to get it ?

Thanks.

Linda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This post has been deleted.
    Depending on the age of your tv you may be able to recieve saorview on it. You can check with your tvs model number on the saorview website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to get the irish and english channels as I am about to cancel my sky subscription? I have two seperate sky boxes. Do I go out and buy free to air box, and what about a saorview box ?
    Can anyone give me details of the cheapest was to get it ?

Thanks.

Linda

I suppose I was lucky as my main telly is saorview compatable. So all I did was get a humax freesat box from amazon for about £270. This may seem a bit expensive but I wanted to keep all of my HD recording and series link functions (something you can't do with keeping an old sky box!)

If you just want the uk channels and you don't need HD or the ability to record you can pick up a freesat box for under £50 - you can use the same sat cables from your sky dish.

I also used my apple tv for movies and Netflix (both on US acc's for extra value).

The only thing that you can't get anywhere else is sky's sport coverage. Sky really do have this mopped up. If sport means a lot to you don't move.

Incidentally, when I told sky I was leaving they offered me a fair whack to stay with them. I don't mean the little offers the agents try to tempt you with, but when you are transferred to the disconnections dept. they have a fair bit of whack. They still phone me up every 3 months. The latest offer they put to me was 1/2 price plus no contract plus €50 added to my account.

However I get free HD on my freesat box and sky are still charging €15/month for HD. I said I'd consider their offer if they took off their HD charge.

I'm not holding out any hope - I'm happy with what I now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 prosborough

I called on 25th January to disconnect and after being on hold for 15mins got through to someone in your disconnections team. After giving her my request to cancel she told me she would have to get her manager to cancel the account. I was then put on hold for a further 5 mins when the girl came back and said that the manager was on a call and would call me back. I never received this call and the only communication I have received from Sky is that my direct debit has been cancelled. I obviously cancelled this as I have no confirmation that my account is going to close so at least this way Sky will get no further money from me until my cancellation is set. All I am asking for is some manners. I contacted them on Facebook and was told that the facebook people have no way to arrange a callback and I will have to call them. I don't see why I should call their number and waste my money. They are burning a bridge here and everyone I am friends with on facebook can see the whole conversation I have had as it's all wall posts. Even tried their forum and haven't gotten an answer there. Does anyone know id this something SKy do to try and delay cancellations as I've heard a lot of bad things about them when people are looking to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

there doesn't seem to be much about in the way of alternate service e.g. competition
    have recently heard that bt are offering something
    has anyone got any useful info for me, live out in sticks and really would prefer the cable network for web, and tv, phone - landline
    do not want aerial on roof -the wild lightning storms here recently with worse and more regular predicted as part of weather change patterns just puts me off things that will encourage more of it than a foot in front of my window - was more than enough to dissuade aerial ideas having found that the highest point is vulnerable to these attacks - yes, house grounded but this area getting worse each year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If you have your own Sky box and Sky dish, you can get free-to-air channels.
    They should already be built-in on your box, no matter if you cancel Sky or not.
    Also, because you've got a Sky dish, you can also get hundreds of free-to-air channels via Saorview.

I have a combi Saorview box and I brought a cable from the Sky dish into my living room and plugged it into the Saorview box, then I used the "Search for satellite channels" on the Saorview menu and hundreds appeared.
    You then save them and ta-da, you've got free channels.

Goes without saying you don't get encrypted channels, such as Sky Sports and UKGold and all that, but what do you expect for nothing?
    The combi Saorview box I got was €70 in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This? :
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745/Trail/searchtext%3ESOARVIEW.htm

You set up sounds great. Do you have a ariel plugged into the Saorview box to get RTE as well or are you getting it all from the satellite feed?

I spent the best part of an hour trying to cancel SKY for mu mother (she nominated me to speak for her) put on hold 3 times! pain in the bum, so I got her to e-mail them and cancel her DD with the bank, she's well out of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This? :
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5322745/Trail/searchtext%3ESOARVIEW.htm

You set up sounds great. Do you have a ariel plugged into the Saorview box to get RTE as well or are you getting it all from the satellite feed?

I spent the best part of an hour trying to cancel SKY for mu mother (she nominated me to speak for her) put on hold 3 times! pain in the bum, so I got her to e-mail them and cancel her DD with the bank, she's well out of contract.
    that set top box is only for saorview and cant show satellite channels. You need a satellite combi receiver which does both. I have the ferguson ariva hd 120 combi.

Also Yes you need a seperate ariel for saorview as the rte channels are not available on satellite except through a sky subscription or via saorsat which requires a soecial lnb on the dish.

Advertisement