Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETCI ET 101 Rule 555.2.1

Options
  • 10-01-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I need to consult the ETCI regulations ET 101 for a dispute I am having with my builder. I would like to see rule 555.2.1. I know I can buy the ET101 on the ETCI website but its a bit pricey and I just want to know about the one rule - 555.2.1
    Could someone quote that rule here.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

not exact but says pretty much

-cooker switch can't go above or behind cooker
    -one switch will do for oven and hob if they're both within 2m of switch

whats the prob-the rule seems straightforward enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

kaveman wrote: »
    I need to consult the ETCI regulations ET 101 for a dispute I am having with my builder. I would like to see rule 555.2.1. I know I can buy the ET101 on the ETCI website but its a bit pricey and I just want to know about the one rule - 555.2.1
    Could someone quote that rule here.
    Thanks.

in domestic and similar installations. an isolating device for a cooking appliance shall not be mounted either directly above or behind the appliance

where the oven and hob are seperate appliances, a common supply and isolator may be used provided

- each appliance is within 2 m of the switching device, and

- the fault loop impedance value for each cable is sufficiently low to ensure the correct operation of the over current protective device in accordance with 411.3 and chapter 61.

care to tell us what the dispute is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »

care to tell us what the dispute is?

Judging by this, its probably switch location.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Judging by this, its probably switch location.

my quess is
    client requires 2 switches for oven and hob

my quess is
    client requires 2 switches for oven and hob

Yes another good possibility, I wouldnt bet against that one.

Whats M cebee`s guess?

• Advertisement

dunno
    -customer wants to be able to switch off hob independently and leave oven clock powered?

wants 2 switches in other words

M cebee wrote: »
    wants 2 switches in other words

Probably that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kaveman

Thanks a lot guys.
    As guessed, the problem is that the cooker switch is behind the hob. My Engineer told me this was the regulation that covered it but didnt have the actual text. I was curious to see the text and if there is some min distance the switch should be offset from the edge of the hob.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Ask them if they will sign off that it is to regulation?.

• Advertisement

frankmul wrote: »
    Ask them if they will sign off that it is to regulation?.
    wonder how it got there if everyone had their eye on the ball?
    i always work off a kitchen plan or ask the customer to at least mark it's location

wonder how it got there if everyone had their eye on the ball?
    i always work off a kitchen plan or ask the customer to at least mark it's location

Someone seems to have messed up but who to blame?

Someone seems to have messed up but who to blame?

doesnt matter who is to blame
    electrician has to move it

Question is, who pays him for the work.

kitchen prob fitted now with switch in wrong place
    mistake should have been spotted by someone before that

kitchen prob fitted now with switch in wrong place
    mistake should have been spotted by someone before that

agree
    as for who pays him,i would imagine he should have spotted it,after all its his responsibility to certify it,so its down to him(electrician)
    its always easier to sort these problems as they arise and not argue over responsibility
    problem is now the units,worktop and tiles are probably fitted so a 20 minute job earlier will take much longer now with much more disruption

im only speculating now though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Another question is HOW too move it.As with most kitchens wall could be tiled.Also do you put conectors in the wall and bury them :O Obviously thats not the solution!But still itll present a problem!

agree
    as for who pays him,i would imagine he should have spotted it,after all its his responsibility to certify it,so its down to him(electrician)

hope the kitchen layout wasn't changed after the sparks had finished! Should have been spotted by someone alright. Could be fun fixing it

hope the kitchen layout wasn't changed after the sparks had finished! Should have been spotted by someone alright. Could be fun fixing it

That is the most likely scenario i think.The kitchen plans were probably done out "rough" when the sparks was first fixing and finalised maybe a week or two before been fitted just no one told the sparks

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That is the most likely scenario i think.The kitchen plans were probably done out "rough" when the sparks was first fixing and finalised maybe a week or two before been fitted just no one told the sparks

Your probably right, Have to wait for kaveman to get the full story

• Advertisement

Another question is HOW too move it.As with most kitchens wall could be tiled.Also do you put conectors in the wall and bury them :O Obviously thats not the solution!But still itll present a problem!
    someone fkd up-prob not the spark.
    usually ime when the kitchen fitter arrives the problem is brought to attention of builder etc and rectified then before it's too late
    -you can't bury connectors,they have to be accessible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Seraphim1

Make it an inline switch to feed the new switch and don't charge for the second switch:) Seriously is there any connectors for jointing and burying that are acceptable in a domestic installation. Most joint boxes, connectors etc don't stand up to vibration, movement or time, are there compression crimp connectors available that would work in the situation in this thread?

Maintenance free junction box?

someone fkd up-prob not the spark.
    usually ime when the kitchen fitter arrives the problem is brought to attention of builder etc and rectified then before it's too late
    -you can't bury connectors,they have to be accessible[/QUOTE]

Joke :)

I would never!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kaveman

Hi,sorry for not replying sooner - been very preoccupied with this and other issues. Just to fill you all in on the outcome. Well i always believed it was kitchen designers fault - as the switch was in place before the kitchen was designed. Eventually he agreed to cover the cost of moving the switch.
    Thanks!

kaveman wrote: »
    Hi,sorry for not replying sooner - been very preoccupied with this and other issues. Just to fill you all in on the outcome. Well i always believed it was kitchen designers fault - as the switch was in place before the kitchen was designed. Eventually he agreed to cover the cost of moving the switch.
    Thanks!

happy days
    thanks for the update

Good outcome.

Advertisement