Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Box

Options
  • 10-01-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

Does anyone know of anyone who can install a Saorview box to the current dish at a reasonable cost?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Have you tried yourself, it is very easy if you follow the instructions when you press the menu button. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Delganyman wrote: »

Hi All,

Does anyone know of anyone who can install a Saorview box to the current dish at a reasonable cost?

Thanks.

Saorview doesn't use a dish - its terrestrial so needs an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

loyatemu wrote: »

Saorview doesn't use a dish - its terrestrial so needs an aerial.
    quiet right...for anyone looking for an aerial power city boghall rd. stock em..ii think it was 22/25 quid..picked up all 6 or 8 channels...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Isn't there some sort of hybrid you can get of Saorview and Freesat? Perhaps that's what the OP means.

If so, I'd be interested in hearing of someone who can do an install of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

There are a few options.

I got my "combo" box from satellite.ie
    They also do installs - not sure of the price for this though.

My box is now over 2 years old and still going strong. Might be someone else in the area - but suggest you get a few prices.
    If you have an aerial and dish already in place you just need the box, I am using my old Sky dish and the existing aerial - though I did need a booster and a new cable from the aerial as the old one was in bits.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Yep, this is a hybrid box that picks up the Saorview channels along with UK and Sat. It needs to be hooked up to the Sky dish so a little more difficult than pressing the menu button. Taltos, thanks for the suggestion of satellite.ie, I'll give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

When I was connecting my combi box to the previously installed sky sat dish, it was a fairly simple process.

1. Connect TV aerial to combi box (for Saorview stations)
    2. Connect coaxial connection from Sat dish to the combi box
    3. In the set-up menu there should be an auto-tune option. This should scan all the saorview (DTT) and satellite frequencies and capture any stations.
    4. The problem with step 3 is that you will get loads (and I mean loads) of stations, many of which are jsut duplicates. So you will have to go through your list of channels and delete any you don't want.

That said, make a nice cuppa coffee or tea and a few minutes effort should have you sorted.

Drop me a PM if you have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eponymous wrote: »
    Isn't there some sort of hybrid you can get of Saorview and Freesat? Perhaps that's what the OP means.

If so, I'd be interested in hearing of someone who can do an install of that.

It's called saorsat

http://www.saorview.ie/about-saorview/saorsat/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Saorsat requires a second dish (or a dish with two LNBs) and doesn't provide TV3. It's really only intended for Saorview blackspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Thanks Oldlegs. I'll have a go at connecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Pupshaw

Hi! New user to boards.ie (my old username was connected to a now long-defunct email address).

Moving to Greystones soon. Definitely interested in getting Freesat+Saorview installed. I'm going to call Satellite.ie and talk to them about an install. If I get the job done I'll post back how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Have a look on the satellite forum here - a few threads there from them and others - might help you in your selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pupshaw

Just coming back here, as I said above, I got the Freesat+Saorview combo installed from Tony and the team in Satellite.ie, a couple of months ago.

An absolute pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them. Very prompt and the service is perfect.

YMMV of course depending on your location, aspect, etc., but I've found it excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

These folks will look after you; www.digisats.ie

disclaimer: I designed their website, but they've been in the business for 15 years :)

Advertisement