Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary teaching & LC Irish

• 10-01-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    Looking for advice.

I am on a study/career break, I have a BA Degree and young kids so taking a bit of time out while they are young before I apply for primary teaching.

I'm just wondering will higher level irish always be compulsory when you're applying? For the next few years at least? I read over bits of irish in my spare time but quite weak at it so I'm pretty anxious about it.
    Just wondering does anyone have any idea if it will remain to be necessary for entry to primary teaching. I find it so off putting but want to follow my dream.

Hope I haven't offended anyone :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

BusyMum12 wrote: »

I'm just wondering will higher level irish always be compulsory when you're applying? For the next few years at least? I read over bits of irish in my spare time but quite weak at it so I'm pretty anxious about it.
    Just wondering does anyone have any idea if it will remain to be necessary for entry to primary teaching. I find it so off putting but want to follow my dream.

Hope I haven't offended anyone :)

I think if you intend training as a Primary teacher in this state in the foreseeable future you will need to reach that standard of Irish. I suspect there will be increased pressure to make higher level Maths a requirement too.

With respect, it is hard to imagine how you can describe something as a 'dream' while so fundamentally at odds with the most well-known and superficial requirement for entry to the course. Would you really want, in your heart of hearts, to find a way around this requirement and remain weak at the language while being expected to teach it adequately every day for your career?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BusyMum12

Well I'm probably being hard on myself saying I'm weak. I got a B1 in ordinary level and can hold a conversation but looking over higher level exam papers and I know I have a lot 'of work to do to get a good grade at higher level.
    It's not enough to scrape a C, - the interviews for the postgrad are so tough I would want a B at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

BusyMum12 wrote: »
    Well I'm probably being hard on myself saying I'm weak. I got a B1 in ordinary level and can hold a conversation but looking over higher level exam papers and I know I have a lot 'of work to do to get a good grade at higher level.
    It's not enough to scrape a C, - the interviews for the postgrad are so tough I would want a B at the very least.

Yes but I think the oral is now worth 40% of the exam so if you did very well in the oral you could do well! (Correct me if I'm wrong)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I agree you'd need a B or higher. The thing is, Irish it is not a difficult language to learn, not in comparison to some central European languages. We have a dreadful mindset against it in this country.

You could easily up the standard of your Irish over the next few years. In fairness to the children you would be teaching, they deserve a teacher who is confident in the language, since it currently holds such an important place in terms of college places etc..

Are your children in school yet? Would you consider a Gaelscoil/Naíonra for them while at the same time improving your own Irish?

Yes my eldest is in primary so I'm always going over her books and homework.
    Her teacher gave several hand outs of Gaeilge do Thuismitheoiri to help us along.

Thanks for replies. I know I just have to do it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Also, depending on how long you wait before applying, the TC are currently discussing proposals to implement a requirement of HL B in both English and Irish and HL C or OL A in Maths.

Irish is taught every day in primary school so it is vital to have an excellent standard of Irish.

I did often wonder why there was only a requirement for the Irish. That's ok, I have OL A in Maths and HL A in English.

I was actually teaching languages in primary schools but it was axed in December 2011 budget.

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm not sure you have the right attitude to be honest. Hoping they'll remove the requirement for higher level Irish (which makes no logical sense to anyone, even in light of FG's apparent intent to kill the Irish language) is a poor starting point. Whether you like it or not and whether you agree with it or not, Irish is a core subject in the Irish schools curriculum and will remain compulsory for primary school students for the foreseeable future and has already been mentioned, don't you think your students deserve a teacher who is comfortable and competent to teach the language?

You say you can hold a conversation in Irish. Are you sure? I've heard that many times from people who subsequently couldn't hold a conversation with me (and my Irish isn't great). If you have friends with kids in a Gaelscoil, try having a chat with those kids in Irish, especially if they're in 4th, 5th or 6th class. If you struggle to do that, you're nowhere near the standard you need.

Obviously, I'm biased but I don't think the country needs any more primary teachers who are of the attitude that Irish is an inconvenience to be endured. We have far too many of them as it is.

Advertisement