Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translated scifi (Roadside Picnic, etc)

• 10-01-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I read Metro 2033 recently after playing the game - the translation from Russian wasn't amazing but it was still very enjoyable. I was thinking about giving Roadside Picnic a go.

Anyone reading sf originally written in other languages? Recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

We, by Yevegeny Zamyatin.
    Orwell, Burgess and most 20th century SF writers owe him a living for that one novel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Coincidentally, I just started Roadside Picnic yesterday. :)
    A few chapters in I'm both mildly confused and intrigued...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I wasn't that impressed with Roadside Picnic.
    I haven't read these, but they are supposed to be good:
    • Night Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko
    • Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

la machine de rene belletto is a great read and was the blue print for a number of films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Roadside Picnic has some interesting ideas and one or two good sections - the initial foray into the Zone, which is far and away the most interesting "character" in the whole story, stands out in my mind - but overall is a bit rubbish. Bears almost no resemblance to the game STALKER, or indeed the Tarkovsky film (the one that doesn't resemble the game either!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I actually moved onto something else yesterday about 20% into Roadside Picnic.

It was mildly interesting but I dislike most books written in the first person, and Red Schuhart was starting to remind me of Holden Caulfield (I f*cking hate CITR).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Roadside Picnic I found enjoyable, if not revalatory. It still stands as a good, short story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

The Stranger, by Max Frei. Translated from Russian. Weird and a bit different from other urban fantasy I've read.

The blurb says "If Harry Potter smoked cigarettes and took a certain matter-of-fact pleasure in administering tough justice, he might like Max Frei". Personally I would rather describe it as "Dresden Files written by a Russian Neil Gaiman".

mcgovern wrote: »
    I wasn't that impressed with Roadside Picnic.
    I haven't read these, but they are supposed to be good:
    • Night Watch books by Sergei Lukyanenko
    • Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

Loooove the night watch books

Advertisement