Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on fast growing climbers please

• 10-01-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking for some expert advice please.... I am looking to cover a fence in our front garden and if possible was looking to get it done in the quickest possible time....

I would prefer the climbers to be mainly evergreen that would have a decent enough growth area on them.....
    I will also throw in some clematis to brighten it up but again am open to suggestion...

If anyone has any ideas I would only be to delighted to hear them all...

Cheers.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Clematis montana grows fast and gives good cover. Honeysuckle is good too, though it needs good support, don't grow either of these on lightweight trellis. Some masonry nails and strong wire would be better support.

Do not be tempted by ivy - it eventually turns into a thuggish weed, or Fallopia baldshuanicum also called Polygonum or mile a minute plant or russian vine. It does grow as fast as its name suggests and it invades everywhere. Its a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi folks,

Just looking for some expert advice please.... I am looking to cover a fence in our front garden and if possible was looking to get it done in the quickest possible time....

I would prefer the climbers to be mainly evergreen that would have a decent enough growth area on them.....
    I will also throw in some clematis to brighten it up but again am open to suggestion...

If anyone has any ideas I would only be to delighted to hear them all...

Cheers.....
    Clematis armandii. Fast. Evergreen. White flowers early in season.
    Theres one to get the ball rolling.:-)
    Beat me to it looksee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

looksee wrote: »
    Clematis montana grows fast and gives good cover. Honeysuckle is good too, though it needs good support, don't grow either of these on lightweight trellis. Some masonry nails and strong wire would be better support.
    rje66 wrote: »
    Clematis armandii. Fast. Evergreen. White flowers early in season.
    Theres one to get the ball rolling.:-)
    Beat me to it looksee!

Thanks a million looksee & rje66 - Definetly going to pick up all these climbers. I have seen the Montana and it looks great and I had the Honeysuckle before but completely forgot about it....

Sounds like a plan to run the Clematis Armandi through as well. and I will be using masonry nails and good homemade trellising as i don't these coming down....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Just know Fast Growing = More Work

I disagree that Ivies are thugish weeds, in the right spot they can be a wonderful addition. I have a beautiful Sulphur Heart growing on a dark North facing wall and it really brightens it up, requires little maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

padi89 wrote: »
    Just know Fast Growing = More Work

I disagree that Ivies are thugish weeds, in the right spot they can be a wonderful addition. I have a beautiful Sulphur Heart growing on a dark North facing wall and it really brightens it up, requires little maintenance.

We've had one that pulled a wall down and one that is trying to seal a garden door shut, not to mention getting into the eaves, so I am not that enthusiastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

looksee wrote: »
    We've had one that pulled a wall down and one that is trying to seal a garden door shut, not to mention getting into the eaves, so I am not that enthusiastic!

If the wall has structural weakness then yeah i wouldn't grow them but that's just wrong plant wrong place and could be said for many climbers. If they have gotten out of hand which can happen with many plants then it's due to a lack of pruning something i have been guilty of myself in the past. I took two mature ivies and a honeysuckle out this year and the roots on one were as bad as the other to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Hops grow fast and are easily propagated. The female ones with the flowers (used for brewing) are also very ornamental and there's a golden leaved variety too. They're not so common outside commercial plantations, but they make a lovely and unusual ornamental plant. They die back each winter and regrow from roots.

DSCN2954.JPG
    Golden hop

hops19.jpg

Advertisement