Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IS it fair on students having to disclose their name on Leaving Cert projects?

• 10-01-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

leaving cert exam numbers not yet available...........
    Leaving Cert examination numbers are not yet available.......this is causing problems and is diluting the good name the Leaving Cert exam has .L.C.V.P. students had to put their PPS number on their interview scripts,now D.C.G. students are being asked to put their....name!!!! and d.o.b. on their project/folders.Surely the Examinations commission would have known for some time that the candidates required exam numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

This has happend the last couple of years with DCG exam numbers have not been available in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Who is asking them? Teacher in school (I take it you're a student)?

According to the timetable released by the S.E.C. showing practical deadlines, it states the following for February:
    Late Feb
    - Submission date for Leaving
    Certificate Design &
    Communication Graphics
    Practical Coursework.
    Specific date to be confirmed
    in due course following the
    issue of the candidate
    examination numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From a corrector's point of view, I can tell you it makes no difference.

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Who is asking? Teacher in school (I take it you're a student)?

According to the timetable released by the S.E.C. showing practical deadlines, it states the following for February:

Completion date for the DCG projects is Friday 18th January. Projects may not be submitted until late FEB when exam numbers are availabe but no work can be carried out on the projcets after next Friday. We have been advised by the subject association to put names and dates of birth on each sheet, cant exactly remember what the SEC full guidelines were must check them out tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Just checked -the SEC are advising the same!

From Circular S62/12:
    The completion date for the DCG student assignment is 18th January 2013
    . As examination candidate numbers will not be available at this time, students should use their name and date of birth as a means of identification on their design portfolio and on the main folder contained on the CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Home ec students have to use their Ppsn since the intro of the new course (and coursework) in 2004.
    Don't know why they can't be one earlier.
    Having said that i agree with spurious that from a corrector's point of view it wouldn't make any difference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

leaving cert exam numbers not yet available...........
    Leaving Cert examination numbers are not yet available.......this is causing problems and is diluting the good name the Leaving Cert exam has .L.C.V.P. students had to put their PPS number on their interview scripts,now D.C.G. students are being asked to put their....name!!!! and d.o.b. on their project/folders.Surely the Examinations commission would have known for some time that the candidates required exam numbers.

I don't see why it's an issue for LCVP, they are already enclosing a CV in their portfolio with all their personal details on it.

seavill wrote: »
    Completion date for the DCG projects is Friday 18th January. Projects may not be submitted until late FEB when exam numbers are availabe but no work can be carried out on the projcets after next Friday. We have been advised by the subject association to put names and dates of birth on each sheet, cant exactly remember what the SEC full guidelines were must check them out tomorrow

So really a student could stick a post-it on each sheet, CD (sorry not too familiar with DCG project work) and when the exam numbers come through they can be put on. Not such a huge problem really.

This is what I do every year for JC Science coursework. My students did their coursework before christmas, it doesn't have to be submitted until april, but to avoid them writing their names on the booklets I have a post-it with the name stuck on the front of each one. It makes it quicker to distribute them in class as well rather than trying to work out identity through exam numbers.

I really don't understand the fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

So really a student could stick a post-it on each sheet, CD (sorry not too familiar with DCG project work) and when the exam numbers come through they can be put on. Not such a huge problem really.

This is what I do every year for JC Science coursework. My students did their coursework before christmas, it doesn't have to be submitted until april, but to avoid them writing their names on the booklets I have a post-it with the name stuck on the front of each one. It makes it quicker to distribute them in class as well rather than trying to work out identity through exam numbers.

I do the exact same for RE and CSPE as well.

I didnt say there was a fuss I was just clarifying questions posed or information posed by other posters.

However reading the piece from the SEC quoted above by another poster this does not apply as it said the main folder on the CD should be named using the students name and date of birth, these CDs must be created by next Friday

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    I didnt say there was a fuss I was just clarifying questions posed or information posed by other posters.

However reading the piece from the SEC quoted above by another poster this does not apply as it said the main folder on the CD should be named using the students name and date of birth, these CDs must be created by next Friday

Sorry seavill, I should have multi-quoted. I meant the OP, I don't see what the fuss is about really.

If the OP considers that an examiner going to assess students for orals or for ag science they have all the students details as well, it's not such a big deal for DCG really when other project elements are assessed face to face.

The OP was a bit sensationalist with the 'diluting the good name of the leaving cert'

Advertisement