Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working your way up - Junior to Senior

• 10-01-2013 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am wondering if it is a common issue that people have gone through. I was hired as a Junior 3 years ago and now their is a prospect of being made Senior in my position.

My problem is my salary has not increased at the same level. I am still earning approx. 30k which I know is at least 15k less than what a senior position should earn.

If I am made senior, the most they would offer is 5K increase I am guessing which still leaves me being hard done by.

What should I do? Refuse the position and look elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would take the position and negotiate as much money as you can from them.
    Then start to look elsewhere ,you will find that your negotiating power for a new role will be stronger if you are on better money now and have a title that is higher.

Now what do you base your opinion of what a "senior" position should be earning ?

Unless you can get some other company to pay that higher figure then that is not what you are worth ,it is common that people who progress through the ranks earn less than people coming from outside.
    The reality is it costs more to attract talent than too retain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I HATE places which put this artificial construct of junior/senior in place.

Quite often a senior is the person who doesn't document things properly, wouldn't get a fraction of their salary in another company, but has been around for ages and gets on well with the manager.

The reason your salary has not increased is probably because there are pay freezes in place and no doubt there's a queue of people who would be only too happy to work your job. If you are actually indispensable you should try to find another job that pays more then ask your employer to match it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I am wondering if it is a common issue that people have gone through. I was hired as a Junior 3 years ago and now their is a prospect of being made Senior in my position.

My problem is my salary has not increased at the same level. I am still earning approx. 30k which I know is at least 15k less than what a senior position should earn.

If I am made senior, the most they would offer is 5K increase I am guessing which still leaves me being hard done by.

What should I do? Refuse the position and look elsewhere?

Your deluded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

areyawell wrote: »
    Your deluded!

That's a really stupid thing to say. The op didn't give any details regarding eduction, work experience or qualifications so you really can't make a statement like that.

However, LloydChristmas, try not to worry what other people in the company earn. Instead, find a job either internally or externally that pays you as much as possible. That's your actual market value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I find that if you what to maximize salary then you have to move jobs. No company would barely consider such an excessive raise for 30 to 45, however another company would evaluate based on experience and pay accordingly.

On the other hand 3 years doesn't necessarily a senior make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would take the position and negotiate as much money as you can from them.
    Then start to look elsewhere ,you will find that your negotiating power for a new role will be stronger if you are on better money now and have a title that is higher.

Now what do you base your opinion of what a "senior" position should be earning ?

Unless you can get some other company to pay that higher figure then that is not what you are worth ,it is common that people who progress through the ranks earn less than people coming from outside.
    The reality is it costs more to attract talent than too retain.

I'd take this approach too.
    I find that if you what to maximize salary then you have to move jobs. No company would barely consider such an excessive raise for 30 to 45, however another company would evaluate based on experience and pay accordingly.

On the other hand 3 years doesn't necessarily a senior make.

Agreed, this has been my experience, best way to really jump up the seniority/experience ladder is to move company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Thanks for the replies folks. I think you have echoed my feelings all along that it is really necessary to leave a company to get more money and responsibilty. Possibly returning in a few years on more money higher position. In fact, it is a well known fact that many people do this in my current company.

While I dont like chopping and changing between jobs, I also dont like getting stale

Advertisement