Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treating a wet iPhone?

• 10-01-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys!

I went to the swimming pool this week and accidently dropped my iPhone 4 there... I quickly researched the web and found an intersting article with instructions (here) and acted by them.
    My iPhone is still laying in the rice and I just wanted to see if there's anything else for me to do and when should I try turning it on.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

razh wrote: »
    Swimming pool + Iphone

Dude :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 razh

Don't ask... I was in the middle of an email, and didn't even notice I was going in the pool with the iPhone. Abit awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Hahaha sorry for laughing dude. . Decided to wash my iPod about 3 days ago turned it on music played but screen was blank. Spent ten mins with a hair dryer drying it. After this the screen lit up but couldnt see the writing so left it in the hot press over night and hey presto back working perfectly. A few yrs ago dropped me fone in a mug a tae and put it in the range for half an hour and it worked perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

razh wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I went to the swimming pool this week and accidently dropped my iPhone 4 there... I quickly researched the web and found an intersting article with instructions (here) and acted by them.
    My iPhone is still laying in the rice and I just wanted to see if there's anything else for me to do and when should I try turning it on.

Thanks,
    Oh hard luck. Happened to my brother, he did the rice trick and put it into the hot press. That seemed to work for him anyway!

Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah uncooked rice and hotpress for a few days have saved some phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

To be safe, leave it four or five days. Whatever moisture was in there should be gone by then. If you're lucky it might start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

biko wrote: »
    Yeah uncooked rice and hotpress for a few days have saved some phones.

Yeah It saved my phone for sure. It fell down the toilet, I put it in the bowl of rice for 3 days and hey presto back good as new :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Hahaha sorry for laughing dude. . Decided to wash my iPod about 3 days ago turned it on music played but screen was blank. Spent ten mins with a hair dryer drying it. After this the screen lit up but couldnt see the writing so left it in the hot press over night and hey presto back working perfectly. A few yrs ago dropped me fone in a mug a tae and put it in the range for half an hour and it worked perfectly

:eek:

you got lucky! you should NEVER put heat on them or blow into them it can push the moisture further into the device and cause more issues later down the line.

OP the best article ive read on how to save a damaged iphone is here: http://gizmodo.com/damage/

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

hoodwinked wrote: »

:eek:

you got lucky! you should NEVER put heat on them or blow into them it can push the moisture further into the device and cause more issues later down the line.

OP the best article ive read on how to save a damaged iphone is here: http://gizmodo.com/damage/
    So the hot press trick Is a no no? I kinda thought the dryer was a bad idea but me being so impatient decided I'd try anyway. Its worked a few times for me it's also made the situation worse on occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So the hot press trick Is a no no? I kinda thought the dryer was a bad idea but me being so impatient decided I'd try anyway. Its worked a few times for me it's also made the situation worse on occasion
    No, the hot press is the best way.
    But do not use a hair blower (as said above) as it will move the water around rather than vaporise it.

The longer you leave the phone without turning it on the better, don't get impatient and try starting it up after just a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the hot press is ok i've heard, depending obviously, our 'hot press' is so insulated the press itself doesn't get hot. And id imagine if it was too hot it would do damage also...

the hair dryer is a big no no for two reasons mentioned a: the heat can melt whats inside and b: can push moisture further in, its dumb luck if you used a hairdryer and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 razh

Well I will be leaving it there for a few more days, just to be sure. I guess iPhones are not ment to be friends with pools :)

Advertisement