Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time job in Waterford City

Options
  • 10-01-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey Guys,

Im really stuck for a job, times are getting really tough now and since I cant get a grant. Im struggling big time with college :(

Can I ask if anyone sees or hears of any job positions to follow this thread.

I will do anything to finish college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

there a thread on here for waterford jobs, But iv been looking for the last year and iv got no where, there isnt a great number of part time jobs in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

help21 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Im really stuck for a job, times are getting really tough now and since I cant get a grant. Im struggling big time with college :(

Can I ask if anyone sees or hears of any job positions to follow this thread.

I will do anything to finish college.

Masons are opening up again. Try there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Whatever little jobs are there are going to people who arent doing anything else.

Why would an employer give someone a job who can only give 50% when they can get someone on job bridge for pennies and full time.

i.e good luck with the job searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Media999 wrote: »

Why would an employer give someone a job who can only give 50% when they can get someone on job bridge for pennies and full time.

i.e good luck with the job searching.
    Because the person "giving 50%" is giving 50% of their time for x years but the fact that they are in further studies shows that they want to work and improve themselves instead of just chasing a pay cheque, or worse, PRSI stamps for x/12 years.

Never forget that your C.V. and interviews are you selling yourself. Even if its just an informal chat while dropping in a C.V. Make the effort, ask for a manager, present yourself well, etc. also approach college lecturers about any work they might have going, mini research projects, admin work, supervision/demonstration, etc. consider giving grinds in subjects that you did well at.
    Good luck!

Because the person "giving 50%" is giving 50% of their time for x years but the fact that they are in further studies shows that they want to work and improve themselves instead of just chasing a pay cheque, or worse, PRSI stamps for x/12 years.

Never forget that your C.V. and interviews are you selling yourself. Even if its just an informal chat while dropping in a C.V. Make the effort, ask for a manager, present yourself well, etc. also approach college lecturers about any work they might have going, mini research projects, admin work, supervision/demonstration, etc. consider giving grinds in subjects that you did well at.
    Good luck!

Your being a small bit naive there.

So basically your saying unless your in college your just out to collect PRSI stamps and if your in college your some highly motivated hard working genius.

Id rather have an older mature person who was let go from somewhere else and maybe has kids to feed than a student who never worked a day in their life or is just their to collect a cheque.

Also whats ironic is the OP states they are just after a pay cheque. No mention of relevant to their course, career improving work.

Not trying to sound smart here im in WIT as a student myself but thats reality. Everyday listening to people ask where can they get a part time job. WIT is half full of people who just have nothing else to do not because they desired to go to college all their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Unfortunately you are far from the only one. And the few jobs that are going are going to mature people who have flexibilty to work whenever they are asked to rather than to students who are only available for certain shifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Just keep looking, thats the only advice i can give. From my experience jobs pop up at the most unlikely of times, you just have to keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I'm in a similar situation, handed out countless CVs over the last year and a half and have had no luck. From talking to different managers in places around town they all say the same time, they want someone who is flexible, meaning you have be available to work at any time during the week, unfortunately if your in college full time they don't seem have to any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I think i saw a part time job in one of the night clubs in town it was for floor staff, they also wanted bar staff and security, go to FAS.ie they had the job advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Masons put this up on their Facebook page an hour ago OP.
    MASONS LIVE MUSIC VENUE
    NOW HIRING FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS
    FLOOR STAFF,BAR STAFF AND
    SECURITY STAFF(Must hold an up to date P.S.A licence)
    Please forward cv to Masons,97 Manor St.Waterford
    Closing date 21-1-13

Masons Facebook

• Advertisement

Even if you do get work in Masons good luck working till 4am then getting up for college at 8.

realistically they wont go near students. Theyre gonna hire ex workers and people with experience and flexibility.

Id advise you to give college 100% as theres really no other options.

Unless you can get a student loan from the Credit Union. You say you cant get a grant. Is that because your family earn too much or whatever? Maybe ask them to go as guarantor to a loan if they have decent credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Get your LinkedIn profile up-to-date and get a good CV together, don't use a template, actually follow some online advise.

Start connecting with people out there and you be surprised what you will find.

I worked all my way through college and I am doing well for myself...

Advertisement