Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to Thailand

Options
  • 10-01-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I am thinking of going to Thailand for possibly 3 weeks towards the end of March or Start of April. I am 24 and going with two other 24 year old lads. Just wondering if anyone has any advise on the best places to visit. Thinking of visiting Bangkok for a few days first but then thinking of travelling around Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia.

Having never been to Asia I dont really know what to expect so if anybody out there has done this and what advice would you give.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

What are you looking for?

With just 3 weeks, Id head to the Thai Islands for partying. Weather will be good.

North Thailand for a more chilled place and treks, cooking etc. Weather will be meh.

You don't really have time to do both Thai and Nam.

You could do Nam north to South in 3 weeks but its tight. North Nam will have pretty bad weather in March. South Nam will be lovely as far as probably Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

3 weeks is tight for doing Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. We had 4 and did Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos and we realised we'd spread ourselves thin.
    In the three weeks I'd recommend at most Thailand and Cambodia. Don't know about the weather during March though.
    The islands are definitely worth visiting, would advise against Phi Phi. It's amazing for honeymoon, but I'd imagine would be boring for 3 lads. In Cambodia you should of course see the Angkor Wat and surrounding temples and the killing fields. North Thailand, Chiang Mai, is beautiful, it's like the Galway of Thailand :) You can also do trekking and visit or help out at the Elephant Nature park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

Gatica wrote: »
    3 weeks is tight for doing Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. We had 4 and did Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos and we realised we'd spread ourselves thin.
    In the three weeks I'd recommend at most Thailand and Cambodia. Don't know about the weather during March though.
    The islands are definitely worth visiting, would advise against Phi Phi. It's amazing for honeymoon, but I'd imagine would be boring for 3 lads. In Cambodia you should of course see the Angkor Wat and surrounding temples and the killing fields. North Thailand, Chiang Mai, is beautiful, it's like the Galway of Thailand :) You can also do trekking and visit or help out at the Elephant Nature park.

Phi Phi is one of the better islands if not thee best! Boring for 3 lads, why, the place is paradise, chill out during the day, go swimming, get one of the long boat lads to bring you around the small islands and have buzz there, the place is amazing, then at night, go for dinner, then onto carlitos, hippy bar or regga bar, lots of nice women from all over the world knocking about, i seriously don't get how you would find this boring! We stayed there for nearly a month!
    Cambodia is great but its the poorest country in SE Asia, its a bit of a kip to be honest, Angkor is indeed great, Phnom Penh is cool and interesting, the history alone makes it a very interesting place! However, Vietnam is far better, get a cheap air asia flight over from Thailand.

I agree with the rest gatica says, i would spend a week in nam and 2 weeks in THailand, 2 countries is enough, travelling in these countries is tiresome, no ice trains here!! and they are big places too

weather in march/april should be quite good, kinda coming out of the high season and nearing monsoon season, which aint that bad except really dramatic heavy rain showers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Maybe it's the resort we stayed at and time of year we went (Phi Phi Island Village in October), but it was mainly middle aged people and honeymooners. It was also faily quiet around the resort.
    We did a day tour, went to Maya bay, which while beautiful, was overrated and absolutely packed. Snorkeling was great fun though.
    There were also tours around James Bond islands but they were really expensive. The area was a complete paradise, we relaxed around the pool, lounged by the sea drinking cocktails, went to the restaurant or the bar in the evening. 4 days was more than enough for me all the same though.

I think the problem with going to Vietnam and Thailand is that Vietnam is huge and has soooo much to offer. It's a shame to give it so little time. Cambodia is just over the border from Thailand, cheap and worth the few days you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Emmigrant

I'm living in Thailand for two years now, living in rural Thailand. My advice don't go north of Bangkok not much to see for 24 year old lads. Head to koh pang nang Phuket and Sami down south. Cambodia is a ****hole, plus it's dangerous and u will be pestered from the minute you step inside the border from everyone looking for money, loas is extremely boring don't go. Go bangkok for few days then down south time will fly 3 weeks is nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement