Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can not read files on pc

Options
  • 10-01-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

copied word files over to another pc and now can not get to open them properly,
    its a load of squares im getting at the minute in a file conversion window where i can slect windows default, ms dos and other encoding plus the language but nothing working...anyone able to advise please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems they got corrupted. Did you try again?
    Save them as old version of Word or RTF file.

You can try opening them in Notepad, Wordpad, Open Office or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Deise_67

Try changing the file extension if its .docx change to .doc

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

tried note/wordpad etc but not working

how do i change the file extension im using office 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

2pack wrote: »
    tried note/wordpad etc but not working

how do i change the file extension im using office 2003

how do i change the file extension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If the files are .docx then they are a completely different format to .doc.

Changing the file extension of a file does not change the file it merely changes the default programme used to open the file.

If you have Office 2003 it will only open .docx files if you have the compatibility option installed. It is available on the Microsoft website.

If you have the compatibility option installed and it still wont open them then they have been corrupted in transmission and you will have to get them resent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement