Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally found a disadvantage of DE razors over cartridge ones

• 10-01-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭

You can't take the DE blade on a plane in your hand luggage.
    Tried it a few times and got away with it, but last 2 times they took the blade off me, had to buy some in a shop :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Yeah that is one disadvantage. If you plan ahead to you could always mail a pack of blades to the hotel you'll be staying in and collect them when you arrive there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Stick them in check in baggage or if only travelling with hand luggage make do with a Sensor cart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I headed to Italy a couple of months ago and had 1 blade in my bag and it wasn't noticed. On the way back I didn't have it, but they saw the actual razor and made me take it apart to show there was no blade, so knew there was obviously a problem with them.
    Last week I had a blade separate to the razor, but they saw it on the xray, was told I could slice someones neck open with it and had it taken!
    Problem with buying them when you arrive is lack of quality. Got some in boots, but they only had one type and they were shíte.
    Of course, if you wanted to, you could take a cartridge razor apart and do the same. Or even easier, buy a bottle of strong vodka and you have either a petrol bomb or a bottle to break and glass someone with!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stupid security theatre is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I look at it as an advantage to reassure myself that I still prefer DE over Mach3. I still take a brush and soap tho, let's not talk crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Stupid security theatre is stupid.

I was in the US last week, so 3 flights in a week.

Honestly, when I hop around the security area with my trousers falling down trying to either put on or take off my shoes I think 'You know what? The faceless terrorists have won. Making every westerner go through this inconvenient, often embarrassing ritual, means they've won'. We, my colleague and i went through security in JFK and went to a restaurant and ordered some beers. I usually order draught but he opted for bottled and they brought the bottle. What stops him putting the bottle in his bag and using it as a weapon against air craft workers? I bought a small keyring in RadioShack, its like a swiss army keyring, it folds out into a small pliers/wirecutters. The guy from TSA had some trouble opening it and I offered to show him and he said I was not allowed open it, in case I triggered something. I repeated several times there is no blade. He eventually got it open and ok'ed it. I appreciate it is necessary for security(I work in security) but really, it seems like security for securitys sake sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

When flying out from Ireland I leave the blade in my DE, haven't had a problem yet and if I do it's easy too just dispose of the blade. Any Irish security that have asked me about it have been more interested in the shave it gives than the chances of it being used as a weapon.

Traveling back I just throw away the blade, it's already used, and not worth trying to explain it to a non English speaker.

I wouldn't bring my straight though, that'd just be stupid.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

syklops wrote: »
    I appreciate it is necessary for security(I work in security) but really, it seems like security for securitys sake sometimes.
    Thing is, it's not necessary for security, and it's all security for security's sake. That's the depressing part. Bruce Schneier is a must-read on the topic, for anyone who's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Thing is, it's not necessary for security, and it's all security for security's sake. That's the depressing part. Bruce Schneier is a must-read on the topic, for anyone who's interested.

Schneier, as always, on top form. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 msc1

Agreed, I had the same problem trying to get the DE blade in hand luggage on a Ryanair flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Any time I've been travelling, I either put my DE in my check in bag, if I'm bringing one, or don't bring a razor if I'm not.

If I'm travelling with hand luggage, it's usually only a day or 2, and I shave before I leave. Day no 2, I generally look ok, with just some light stubble, but anything after that, I need to shave. I'll usually hit up whatever hotel I'm staying at for a shaving kit. It's not the same, but some are actually pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I usually pack my shaving gear minus the blade. At the other side I know I'll at least get a Boots/Wilkinson blade, which usually does the trick. Usually only short hops of a day or two anyway.

Last week I forgot my headphones so picked up a set in the airport (post-security). I gnawed at the plastic packaging with my teeth for a half an hour thinking 'Damn you terrorists!!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

source wrote: »
    When flying out from Ireland I leave the blade in my DE, haven't had a problem yet and if I do it's easy too just dispose of the blade. Any Irish security that have asked me about it have been more interested in the shave it gives than the chances of it being used as a weapon.

Traveling back I just throw away the blade, it's already used, and not worth trying to explain it to a non English speaker.

I wouldn't bring my straight though, that'd just be stupid.
    Even when I had no blade at all in my bag, they take the razor out and check it! Only got away with it once in 4 trips now. Out of the other 3, twice I had no blade but I had to take the razor apart, and once I had a blade and it was taken.
    noby wrote: »
    I usually pack my shaving gear minus the blade. At the other side I know I'll at least get a Boots/Wilkinson blade, which usually does the trick. Usually only short hops of a day or two anyway.

Last week I forgot my headphones so picked up a set in the airport (post-security). I gnawed at the plastic packaging with my teeth for a half an hour thinking 'Damn you terrorists!!!'
    I tried the boots blade and hated it, it felt like it was pulling the hair out and not cutting it! But different blades suit different people. My last trip was Venice, I could be spending all day looking for a place that sells them.

Agree with oscarBravo, I'll have a read of that link. It really is stupid, the security. Take off your belt and shoes, ffs :rolleyes:
    Don't get me started on liquids, I have my bag packed so there's none. Normally use shaving cream at home, but have a soap for travelling. Deoderant is a stick. Post shave I use the wife's moisturiser.

Advertisement