Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Off-campus accommodation

Options
  • 10-01-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you all think the best off-campus accommodation would be for an incoming first year? (On-campus is too pricey)

The accommodation would have to be under 3000euro, be fairly close to the university (in walking distance), and also not a real rough spot, but one that may be fairly lively party wise. :pac:

Are there are places off campus which many first years actually go ?

I'd appreciate any sort of advice and experiences :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

On campus may look pricey, but it's an all-in price. Whatever you get off campus you'll have to add broadband, tv, bin charges, electricity and the biggest variable - heat!

Think again and make sure you think off campus is still the best option. Other than that, the newest (warmest) houses will be in Brú na Gruadan, which is furthest away. The closer to campus the colder, older and more expensive in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Not sure what the BEST would be as I live on campus and am only a first year, so I'll just list all the accommodation I knew so you know where to look yourself :)

College Court
    Milford Grange
    Elm Park
    Briarfield
    Brookfield
    Groody
    Student Courtyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

My second year in Briarfield,
    Nice location,
    15/20 minute walk to college, depending where you're walking to on campus,
    Near essential amenities,
    And although there are quite a few family houses there,
    You'd know it's a student hotspot if you opened your window about 2-3AM every Tue & Thur night/morning, and the flurry of taxis..
    Not sure about other places but Briarfield is a decent spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

ninty9er wrote: »
    On campus may look pricey, but it's an all-in price. Whatever you get off campus you'll have to add broadband, tv, bin charges, electricity and the biggest variable - heat!

Think again and make sure you think off campus is still the best option. Other than that, the newest (warmest) houses will be in Brú na Gruadan, which is furthest away. The closer to campus the colder, older and more expensive in general.

Thanks for that, will look into comparing the prices between on and off campus with that in mind!

Thank ye all for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Would recommend a Groody 6 bedroom apartment for any first year. In Dromroe now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

Elm park is theee biggest S***hole EVER. Handy to get to the pub though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Briarfield was fine when I stayed there. Close enough to the campus and house was fine. Watch out for heating in houses. If anything it's better to check out a house on a colder day. As a rule of thumb though you do pay a premium for on-campus.

Or move in when the weather's on the rise :P
    Christ 2011 Winter was cold! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

I'm in Groody. It's 15-20 minute walk to the library on campus, and all bills are included in the price they give you so there's no worrying about that.

Security aren't that strict on parties either, once ye're not too loud. And it's straight across the road from a chinese, off-licence, pub, subway, pizza and bookies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

Briarfield, it's a 15/20 minute walk but it's near the cinema and superquinn, the bus stops and AIB and chippers. It's cheap too, €200 a month, but thats not including bills. My gf is paying €33 a week for a brilliant house in briarfield, so you can get it dirt cheap if you're lucky :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Rikkorv

I loved living in Parkviewhall!
    petrol station around the corner, in case u just need the one liter milk, dunnes a bit further,
    fair close to city center (15 min walk)
    And if u'd bike to UL it should take you too long aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

How much is on-campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Arse Biscuits!

Yeah you're talking at least €3300, but that includes bills, internet, bins and tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I stayed in Briarfield last year and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Only 15 mins walk (admittedly feels longer when the weather is crap!)
    Superquinn, Centra, Superdine, bookies and THE LODGE all within walking distance
    Not answerable to village authorities so less likely to be buzzkilled by Buzz Killington
    My monthly €240 rent included broadband and the overseas channels, including Sky Sports - again this may depend on how sound your landlord is

Long story short, you could do a lot worse than Briarfield!

Advertisement