Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Warnings

Options
  • 10-01-2013 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Well it has not rained in Victoria and other parts of the Southern and Eastern States for some time.

If you are anywhere near the outer suburbs or in the Country proper keep an ear out for warnings on the news and especially the local abc stations.

The weather has not been this ideal for Fires since 2009.

Stay safe guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

For those of us on Android;

Emergency AUS, real time emergency information.
    South Australian Country Fire Service, CFA in Victoria, I'm not sure what apps are available in the other states.
    Scanner Radio could be useful if you ever found yourself in an emergency area. Or just if you're nosy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

NSW Rural Fire Service are doing a sterling job on social media - follow them on @NSWRFS. They're also on Facebook. Their main site has gone down at least once that I know of due to heavy interest, but they kept plugging away on FB and Twitter.

CFA in Victoria are also on twitter: @CFA_Updates - they haven't been quite as busy so I'm not sure just how up to date their warnings are, but they seemed on it for the grassfire in Wallan a week ago (where I used to live so it caught my eye).

Anyone here travelling through bushfire prone areas over the next few weeks needs to be extremely careful, prepared and aware of how to act if they find themselves in the path of danger. Radiant heat extends over four times the height of the flames and on an intense fire day is sufficient to start you and your vehicle burning without a flame even touching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

NSW Rural Fire Service are doing a sterling job on social media - follow them on @NSWRFS. They're also on Facebook. Their main site has gone down at least once that I know of due to heavy interest, but they kept plugging away on FB and Twitter.

CFA in Victoria are also on twitter: @CFA_Updates - they haven't been quite as busy so I'm not sure just how up to date their warnings are, but they seemed on it for the grassfire in Wallan a week ago (where I used to live so it caught my eye).

Anyone here travelling through bushfire prone areas over the next few weeks needs to be extremely careful, prepared and aware of how to act if they find themselves in the path of danger. Radiant heat extends over four times the height of the flames and on an intense fire day is sufficient to start you and your vehicle burning without a flame even touching you.
    And needless to say, don't flick the butts out the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I use http://qldalert.com up here, and the map site from http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map.html is another handy one. They've done lots of back burning around here but the place is like a tinderbox, there's been very little rain in months. We are praying for some which hopefully should come later today, it's been like Mordor here the past few days. We live one street away from a national park so I made my bushfire plan when we moved here, they can be downloaded from here: http://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/Fire%20Safety%20and%20You/Bushfire%20Survival%20Plan/index.html

Advertisement